Tuesday, 12 September 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.  

This week the subject is Throwback so I'm doing Ten Favourite Authors (and series) I read as a young adult! It's funny to think that I mostly read crime, romance and contemporary then but I don't go near those genres now!

1) Judy Blume
We giggled over 'Forever' which seemed shocking and graphic as it was the first book we'd seen that described sex. 'Are you there God, it's me Margaret' dealt with girls growing up, 'Deenie' on teen issues when you have to wear a spinal brace, 'Blubber' about bullying. Other books focused on things like divorce. She was the first author who seemed to understand what growing up meant and relate to young girls and our issues!

2) Enid Blyton
My childhood favourite from the un-PC Noddy, through The Wishing Chair, St Clare's, Mallory Towers, The Naughtiest Girl, Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure series, Five Find-Outers...I loved them all and my shelves were full of her books! A little outdated in language  now but at the time I devoured almost every series she wrote.

3) Francine Pascal
There were about 14 Sweet Valley High books released when I started reading them and my local bookstore ordered in each one for me over the next few years. I loved it and the special editions but wondered if the students were ever going to pass 16! I never read them all, never read any senior year ones and only read a handful of University ones before moving on to other books and leaving it behind! There are only so many times you can read about a psycho stalking Elizabeth! I also liked the Caitlin trilogy.

4) Stephen King
When I received my library card for the adult section, I never looked back, grabbing 'It', 'Carrie' and 'Christine' first. I loved the early King books and 'It' is still my all-time favourite book. It is the later books that I wasn't keen on as they started great (like The Regulators) and then went weird towards the end. Recent books seem to pretty slow getting into the plots and he is no longer a must buy author for me. I still have a few I want to try though. 

5) Helen Dore Boylston
After a spell being seriously ill in hospital, I developed an appetite for the Sue Barton nursing series which I loved. I re-discovered them a couple of years ago and still enjoyed reading them. Sue was a great MC and I liked following her through the various different types of nursing.

6) Cheerleaders!
This series of books about a school cheerleading team was written by various authors and I was reading it at the same time as SVH. My favourite characters were Nancy and Vanessa. I never much like the snotty attitude of Mary Ellen and how she looked down on Patrick. I didn't read all the series as I had discovered horror by then!

7) Roald Dahl
Our primary school teachers would read us these stories in the classroom. My favourite was 'Fantastic Mr Fox' though I liked 'James and the Giant Peach' a lot. It was part of the reason that I became fascinated by sharks! I'm not sure if I read all the books but I still have 'Fantastic Mr Fox' on my shelves!

8) Walter Farley
I got 'The Black Stallion' as a bookclub book and I just loved this series! I read the 13 books that came out here though there seems to be more written than that as I don't recognise some of the titles. Darn it I'd have loved to read more of that series! Annoying. I don't really have the time to go back and locate all the books now. I loved the ones that featured the horse racing though the sport itself doesn't interest me. 

9) Elyne Mitchell
Another part of my horse phase and I was addicted to the stories of the wild brumbies in Australia. The brumbies fought against capture by men, fires and floods and battles to be leader. I couldn't get enough of these books.

10) Sweet Dreams 
At the time I read SVH and Cheerleaders I also read a lot of the Sweet Dreams romances, written by a group of authors. I loved these at the time and would swap them with friends at school  so we didn't each have to buy our own copies of every one. Now, you wouldn't get me near this kind of book which is ironic!

23 comments:

  1. OMG! I had all the Black Stallion books too. They had such awesome covers. I'd like to know what happened to some of my childhood books. I can just see us together as kids going to the library and checking out horror books - we would have been a pair! Can you believe I've never read an Roald Dahl book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved The Black Stallion! The horse races were pretty exciting! We could have had great summers at the library and film sleepovers if we'd known each other then! Roald Dahl was huge in the UK. I still have Fantastic Mr Fox...

      Delete
  2. I loved Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton as a kid! Ooh and The Silver Brumby books!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/top-ten-tuesday-124/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally someone else who has read the Silver Brumby books! Loved them as a kid...

      Delete
    2. Sorry I can't leave a comment on your blog as you require people to log in using social media!

      Delete
  3. I read a lot of Stephen King when I was a young adult. I also really liked The Black Stallion books. Actually, I liked pretty much everything with horses.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a big horse fan too. I couldn't get enough of horse books when I was a kid!

      Delete
  4. funny how I adore Stephen King's movies but I can't read his book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of Stephen King's older stories as well. He sure did how to find the horror in all kinds of everyday events. I'm not that into his more recent stuff, but I'm glad that he's still writing.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a lot of his early stuff and It is my favourite ever book-so I'm really excited for the film!

      Delete
  6. I loved Roald Dahl as a kid, I had a teacher who read us some of his stuff. And I loved the Black Stallion movie, although I've never read the books. I still think the movie is quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite liked the BS film. I never did see the follow up though. The books were great. I spent years enjoying them!

      Delete
  7. I do remember reading The Black Stallion when I was younger. I don't think I read any of the other authors that made your list when I was younger. I have only recently picked up a couple of King books and probably should have started on his work earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved anything horse related and it was a great series. The early Stephen King books were great but I've struggled to get into the ones he's written more recently.

      Delete
  8. Roald Dahl and Judy Blume books were a huge part of my childhood! I borrowed all the books from the library and devoured every one :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My teachers at school always read us Roald Dahl. Judy Blume was the author all the girls giggled over when we discussed the books! Fun times!

      Delete
  9. Judy Blume was one of my favorite authors when I was a child. She and Beverly Clearly. I never did read Forever though. I didn't give King a try until well into my adulthood, but boy, did I love John Saul books when I was a teenager.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every girl in our year at school read Judy Blume at that time! I certainly got into horror at a young age and never looked back...

      Delete
  10. SVH, Judy Blume and Ronald Dahl! What memories. I might add Nancy Drew and The Baby Sitter Clubs to you list.

    My TTT: http://books.thetechchef.net/top-ten-tuesday-32/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read Nancy Drew or The Baby Sitters Club. I was never greatly interested in reading them. My mum liked Nancy Drew though.

      Delete
  11. Ahh, Enid Blyton. I used to be so hooked on her books.

    ReplyDelete