Tuesday, 5 September 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.  

This week is all about books we struggled with. Frankly if I struggle with a book I DNF it rather than waste more time with it. So here we have ten books I've DNFed this year. 

A warning...anyone who starts moaning about 'how can you say you hated my favourite book' or similar shite like that will get ripped apart for not respecting my entitlement to my opinion. I have no issue with you saying you liked these books or why but start calling me out about being 'wrong' and I'll rip your head off and put my foot up your arse. Just saying...

1) Leigh Bardugo-Six of Crows
I didn't like a single character, felt the majority of characters were flat and under-developed and after a hundred pages we were no nearer the heist that I wanted to read about. I also found the world building confused with incorrect spelling or use of the dutch words.

2) Jordanna Max Brodsky-The Immortals 
I hated the main character who I found uninteresting, rude, arrogant and cold, the romance was forced and without chemistry or interest. Overall I found it too slow, with info dumps about Greek mythology which, despite liking that subject, I found very dull. 

3) Ann Charles-Nearly Departed in Deadwood 
It certainly felt like dead wood. The characters were pretty dreadful. MC Violet is a whining woman with two brats she can't control, she's spineless and idiotic, her female boss lets a man bully her employees constantly, and of course every weird guy in town wants to bed Violet. Right. This was eye rollong bad.

4) HD Lawson-New Order 
Sadie is a self obsessed moron with a doufus boyfriend, bossy best pal who has druggie thug boyfriend and we spend Prom with them fighting and bitching with each other. I was rooting for the vampires to kill them all. Editing and formatting were dreadful. Paragraphs change in middle of sentences and last three lines, all tell no show. Not impressed with writing.

5) AJ Newman-Cities on Fire 
DNFing a sample says it all. Terrible dialogue, sexist and bigoted characters, excessive anti-liberal political rants, poor plot, Fox news fanboying/fangirling throughout. This is one of the worst prepper apocalypse books I've ever looked at.

6) Dan Hodges-One Minute To Ten
I bought this as a behind the scenes on election night NF book. Instead I get something obviously made up and totally stupid. Short sentences, bad grammar, more like a trying to be funny and ironic interpretation of events but ending up as dreadful waffle, made up situations and moronic conversations. Do yourself a favour and get a proper NF book about the UK elections as this was dreadful. 

7) Sue Perkins-Spectacles
Any book meant to be true that announces situations and people are made up for laughs and to make it more interesting should be fiction not biographical! Conversations are contrived and sound false, she makes her family sound like idiots, and the format of trumping out inane facts and lists at the start of each chapter was annoying. The whole thing seemed fake and I didn't believe any of it, so it all seemed pointless!

8) Brennan Beard-The Devil Of The Forest
MC Hailey is a whiny, snobby self obsessed arrogant bitch who sulks at every opportunity and looks down on everyone. Everything has to be about her wants. Her Bigfoot hunting partner is a drunken lech, other members of the group are obnoxious. Halfway through this Bigfoot book I was tired of her stroppy angst and no sign of Bigfoot.

9) Sam Sisavath-Purge of Babylon
SWAT team members laugh and tell jokes as they flee building after watching their team get ripped apart by monsters. Trapped, they tell sex jokes. Kate is trapped in the parking garage and instead of hiding, she keeps driving up and down making noise, hoping the blocked exit will by some miracle clear when the car drivers are all dead. Yeah. Dreadful characters, plot holes like the Grand Canyon.

10) Devon C Ford-Survival 
Steriotyped stupidity. Two apocalypse survivors join together but for some reason decide to talk to each other in fake posh English voices-y'know tally ho old chap, have a cup of tea old boy wot wot. Bloody hell! Then they start channelling Yoda and Chief Brody from Jaws. This moronic stupidity drove me totally mad and spoiled a decent story.

22 comments:

  1. I see a theme with whiny MC's. I can't stand them either. I've been considering reading Six of Crows but I'm in no hurry so who knows if it will ever happen :) Channeling Chief Brody and Yoda - what a combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah these books were wowsers for dreadful whiny females! Ugh! I've tried two series by Leigh Bardugo and just felt like I was plowing through treacle with her books!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Six of Crows. I'm planning on reading that one later this month. We'll see how that goes. lol Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting over 100 pages before they start getting the team together for the heist was way too long for me!

      Delete
  3. HaHa! I love your warning at the start of the post. So funny. I have Six of Crows on my TBR list, but I’m a little skeptical because I didn’t like the author’s other series.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the sound of the plot on this so I tried it in spite of not liking the other series but I DNFed before we got to the heist. Too slow for me!

      Delete
  4. oh nooooo [whinny] How can you say you hated Six of Crows! that's my favorite! LMAO! sorry I HAD to say it. You cracked me up with your introduction! I haven't been able to get through Six of Crows either [winks]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles* Naughty! OK I forgive you! I just can't be bothered with these books that take forever getting to the point. Get on with the story already!!!

      Delete
    2. EXACTLY why I couldn't get through it. ENOUGH MAN! LOL

      Delete
  5. I should really dnf more books myself, instead of wasting time reading books that end up being dissatisfying!! I keep thinking the books will redeem themselves if I keep reading them to the end... Silly me!

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/09/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-that-were.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us find it easier to DNF than others...I guess I'm lucky that way!

      Delete
  6. I liked Six of Crows but I've seen it on a few people's lists this week, I didn't realize so many people had struggled with it. I do understand why though, I even said in my review it took too long to get to the heist.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/05/top-ten-tuesday-123/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah longwinded and Chuckles don't go well together!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these but I do have Six of Crows on my tbr list. I hope I have better luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only books I've read on here are Six of Crows and The Immortals. Both are books I had some issues with too, but in the end I did enjoy them :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with not liking the MCs in both of them which is always a problem for me!

      Delete
  9. I'm having the same problem with Six of Crows- I'm bored to tears. Gonna kep trying w/ it though... and I liked The Immortals well enough but the sequel- nope. Didn't like it, decided to skip the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't keep going when a book bores me! I'm already off to a new booky adventure...

      Delete
  10. Hmm, I haven't heard of many of these. Since the topic is struggling to read them, That might explain it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at the list reminds me how dull they were!

      Delete