Sunday, 10 September 2017

Chuckles Goes Sampling #5


Seeing Kermit surrounded and almost buried in leaves kind of reminds me of my relationship with books. I'm pretty much buried in them too! I have no more space in my house for the books I buy and piles are sitting on the floor which isn't good and I can't read them quick enough because I keep buying!!! I've battled to reduce the tbr without success this year but now Kermit and I are embarking on a new plan to reduce the book buying and give me a chance to reduce the tbr at last. The Plan? Download samples instead of buying!

I haven't done this post for a few weeks as I didn't have samples to fit my Deep Blue Terror theme but I have grabbed some apocalypse samples which fit this month's theme!

This is what I looked at last week:

1) Mark Mathews-EMP The Fall
Garrett has his kids over for the weekend and is settling down to dinner when the TV stops working and a plane crashes into their street. He asks ex-wife Alice and her boyfriend Austin to come over to his house where they can all be safe but daughter Brooke sneers at her father's paranoia. The sample finishes with Alice and Austin arriving.

It's a short sample but gets into the story quickly. I already like Garrett but Brooke is annoying and Alice is a bit patronising. I imagine Austin will be the same though he hasn't spoken yet. However, right after the EMP Alice and Austin just drive over. If Alice divorced him because he was a mad prepper, is she likely to be driving an old banger of a car that will be unaffected by the EMP? Seriously doubt it. So her modern car wouldn't be working. Having looked at the reviews on Goodreads and Amazon I probably won't buy this.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30628979-emp

2) LL Akers-Fight Like A Man
Grayson is a prepper who has been letting his guard down recently so he is taken by surprise to wake up to the power being out. He is alone with the dog Ozzie as wife Olivia is away on holiday with her sisters and his daughter is at University. Can they all make it home?

The sample focuses on Grayson and how even he has been lax about his prepping after too many false alarms. He is in a panic as he realises what is happening and that most people he cares about are out of town. I think even some preppers would panic when a SHTF event actually happens so I liked that. I wasn't as keen on him not feeding Ozzie properly and being incapable of cooking for himself with Olivia gone. I think this book has possibilities so I might go ahead and get this one.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36177554-fight-like-a-man 

3) JR Tate-Breakdown
Jake is a pilot and wife Alice is a nurse and both are affected by the rising terror threats in their careers. On this day Jake and Colin are flying from Dallas to Seattle and just as they level out, the systems all go dead and they are dropping from the sky. Alice is in the ER when she hears her husband's flight has vanished and at that moment all power in the hospital goes out. Sophie is in a lecture when her roommate texts her about a plane crash from Dallas but she can't contact her mother.

This sample was several pages long which was great because it allows you to get right into the story and connect with the characters. I liked Jake and Alice and I was caught up straight away in their family drama. I already want to know what happens next as the book was full of tension from the start. Definitely going to buy this one!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35480829-breakdown 

4) Tom Abrahams-Home
Marcus Battle lived with his wife Sylvia and son Wes in Texas, living off grid and waiting for the apocalypse to happen. We see flashbacks to this running alongside Marcus on his own five years after the event, rescuing a woman in trouble outside his property. He has tangled with the Cartel who run everything from food distribution to rationing of gas and electricity.

This wasn't my kind of apocalypse book. I like seeing the world collapsing in real time, not in shortened flashbacks where it is obvious that something bad has already happened to those featuring in the flashbacks. The main story seems to be about the Cartel wanting revenge on Marcus for killing their men when he saved the woman and Lola wants Marcus to save her son. It's more a personal revenge thing after Doomsday than the apocalypse reads I like. Nothing wrong with the writing or anything, just not my kind of story.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28218574-home 

5) Jeff Motes-Once Upon An Apocalypse
Jill is heading home after a meeting when the EMP leaves her stranded 175 miles away. Staying with her car overnight, she will tackle the walk home the next day. Jack's car does the same and he decides to wait for the emergency services. Next day Jill plans her route, changes clothes, grabs her emergency supplies and gets moving. She meets Mary and her children and has to protect them from thieves. Jack makes some bad decisions on the road that will cause him trouble.

It is a bit too religious for me with Jill and Jack praying and quoting the Bible every time one of them makes a decision. I'm not being critical about faith but I just don't like a pile of it in my reads. It was just a bit too much for my personal tastes. I won't be reading on.  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27818101-once-upon-an-apocalypse 

6 comments:

  1. A couple of these sound interesting. I like to do samplings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samples give you an idea of the writer's style and what the characters will be like which helps me decide what suits me. Very useful if the sample is a decent size!

      Delete
  2. The vanishing plane book sounds pretty interesting. I hope you like it!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be getting it from Amazon this week! The sample was great!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I was thinking Mark Matthews of Milk-Blood had a new book out but this is a different Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two apocalypse authors I've recently read-Mark Mathews and Matthew Mark! And I've read one or two by Mark Matthews! Confusing!

      Delete