Friday, 8 September 2017

Chuckles Chat #33 Ads on Bought DVDs

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.  

You know what I'm talking about. You are ready to sit down to watch a shark film dvd marathon (or similar) on the TV. You have the junk food ready. You have a few cheeky beers or bottle of wine chilled and ready to go. Doors are locked, phone switched off, children dumped on granny. You put the first film in the DVD player and then...

THERE ARE FILM ADS AT THE START OF THE DVD AND IT WON'T LET YOU SKIP PAST THEM!!! Yes, you have to sit through ten minutes of ads that you can't skip through or fast forward. (like my copy of Jeepers Creepers 2) It just won't let you! You jab furiously at the menu button but nothing happens and you scream until your face goes purple but nothing works. Meanwhile ads for films that you couldn't care less about play cheerfully on the screen as you consider headbutting it. I totally hate this! Sometimes if you are lucky the menu button works and after messing about with the options page you finally get onto the film (like my dvd copy of The Shallows last week and my Harry Potter collection).

Why should we be subjected to this when we have bought the film? When I used to rent videos and then dvds from a loval video shop, you expect to have a pile of ads for fims by the film studio as they want you to become interested in these other offerings. That's fine on a rental copy. But when I BUY the film I expect control over these things! Have a seperate menu where you can CHOOSE to view these film ads or have them at the end of the film or something. But every time I watch my favourite dvd, I get pissed at having to sit through the same stupid ads for films I don't care about. Don't the film studios stop to think that we might get annoyed by this? No of course they dobn't care if they are bugging us or destroying shark night as long as they get their stupid ads on our screens! I find that totally wrong. It drives me nuts. It's my shark film dammit! I want total control!!!

Gah. I get WHY the film studios do it but I don't think they should be able to impose this on your personal copy of the film. For me, film ads and such should be part of the menu that you can choose to look at in your own time. My dad loves looking at these things the first time he watches the dvd as it gives him ideas on what to watch next but by the time he is subjected to it for the tenth time you can hear him muttering 'these bloody films again!' So even he gets annoyed by having to view them every time he watches a dvd.

CHOICE! That's all I want. Is that too much to ask? Let us choose if we want to watch these film trailers. Let us have the option not to sit through them every time.  

Do you watch the film ads on the dvds or do you skip them if you can? Do you have bought dvds where you can't skip or fast forward through them? Does it drive you nuts? Which dvds are they? Would you be more likely to look at film ads if they were available in the dvd menu instead of on the film itself?

10 comments:

  1. If I can skip them I do. However, I think if you buy a movie, they shouldn't be on there. Yes, they drive me nuts but so do commercials (unless there are cute dog - go figure). In fact, that's why I DVR most of my TV shows now so I can fast forward through commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand ads on the rental copy but not on my bought copy. It drives me mad! I like to record shows on the digibox so I can cut out ads too. It's the same ones we see over and over!

      Delete
  2. I usually skip them if allowed when it's older films. New ones I watch to see about upcoming releases. It does get annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate this! Shouldn't be there. I think commercials are evil !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually use the commercial time to get everyone settled in to watch the movie. My daughter tends to be slow at times. I do think that you should have the option to skip them though and hate it when you can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a pain not to be able to skip them! I'm impatient at the best of times!

      Delete
  5. Ughh! This is the worst when it's on one of my kids' DVDs and I can't do anything to speed it along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids dvds are the worst for this I think. My Harry Potter films have a ton of ads!

      Delete