Wednesday, 6 September 2017

Book Review: Deathday by David Bussell (The Ghosted #0.5)


I wasn’t always dead.

I had an okay life before I pissed off the wrong person and got killed for it. Now I’m stuck between this world and the next, trying to figure out who did me a mischief so I can return the favour.

Just because I’m a ghost doesn’t mean I’m safe from harm though. There are powers in this world that can even kill the dead.


My Review: 
Jake Fletcher is having a bit of a trying time. His marriage is on the rocks and his wife Sarah can't stand him these days. He has a difficult relationship with his exorcism partner Damon who has very different ideas on how to do things. And to top it off, after his latest job, he is verbally attacked in the street by an angry woman and then someone pushes him under a train. Not a great day, all things considered. Now he has to work out who killed him and why.

I really enjoyed this short prequel as we really get to know the kind of guy Jake is and how his mind works. I liked the way it opened with his job which starts off looking like a birthday party but goes into something quite different. It was clever writing. There is enough action going on to keep you interested but it was Jake's internal monologue about what is happening that I very much enjoyed. I liked his attempts at investigating which don't go very well and he stumbles across the culprit by accident.

The book is funny in spite of the subject matter. Jake is guided off the platform after the murder and goes into a waiting room, not ready to believe that he is dead and being processed to move on. He notices several celebrities there who are most definitely dead including Lemmy from Motorhead, David Bowie, Alan Rickman and Andrew Sachs. I don't want to spoil the scene by telling you what happens but I just cracked up laughing at it! It was a lovely bit of nostalgia for much missed celebrities but in a slapstick humour moment that was just great.
 
I really enjoyed this prequel and I will certainly read on in the series when time allows. I look forward to seeing what Jake gets up to next.
 

Read July 2017.
4 stars.

8 comments:

  1. I really like books that have a little sense of humor. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun series to check out...and Jake sounds like a great character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a winner. And what a spectacular cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this prequel and look forward to the series.

      Delete