Tuesday, 1 August 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

TTT is on hiatus until August but I'm doing my own topics through July. After my four part Best Urban Fantasy Series posts I'm carrying on with that theme in Ten Urban Fantasy Series I Want To Start.


1) J Armand-The Immortal Coil
A young man's life is turned upside down when he comes face to face with immortal creatures. Not much else of a description really but I love the cover and it comes to me recommended by several people. And of course we have vampires! A new-to-me author.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25131174-the-immortal-coil 

2) Ryan Attard-Firstborn  
A war between Angels and Demons, brother v sister, a wizard PI with a perverted demon familiar, talking pets and Japanese monsters. OK I'm not going to say no to trying this one as it sounds interesting and I like trying new authors. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18961830-firstborn 

3) Sonya Bateman-The Cursing Stones 
Rain is an unsuccessful druid who talks to animals, drawn back home to battle black dogs, banshees and mutant spiders and find her missing grandfather. It had me at mutant spiders and druids who talk to animals but there is King Arthur folklore too! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34991758-the-cursing-stones 


4) Lexi Blake-Steal The Light
Zoey is a thief working with a witch, werewolf and vampire ex when a new client offers her a fortune to steal The Light. Perhaps she should have checked the terms of the demon contract more carefully...This has been recommended on a blog I visit and I am curious despite the romance elements.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18136771-steal-the-light 

5) Amy Braun-Cursed 
Two sisters are on the run from vicious monsters and bounty hunters hired by a drugs cartel that one of them betrayed. Not so sure about the drug cartel bit so hope it's limited but you can never have too many demons!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25673745-demon-s-daughter 

6) Thomas K Carpenter-Trials Of Magic 
100 halls of magic and trials that kill participants. Aurie needs to pass to gain her place in the hall of her choice and protect her sister from those she is dealing with, and those who killed their parents. Love the cover, love books with these kinds of trials...hope the book turns out as good as it looks!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32304242-trials-of-magic 


7) JA Cipriano-May Contain Magic 
Abby was fostered by a government agency but now her terrorist birth mother wants to harvest her organs and blow up cities, and only a vampire can help her. This sounds like the mother from hell and a story I could enjoy...I've read a prequel to another series by the author and want to try this soon.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34014041-may-contain-magic 

8) Clara Coulson-Soul Breaker
Weeks out of the Academy and working for a supernatural agency, Cal tracks a sorcerer who has unleashed a monster responsible for vicious murderers. I always enjoy a new book about rampaging monsters and dark creatures so I hope to like this one too!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27152521-soul-breaker

9) Greg Curtis-Banshee Hunt 
James is a former cop, tracking down rogue magic users for the Illuminati and forever in trouble with his bosses. Things get complicated when he encounters a banshee. You don't often get banshees in fiction so I was intrigued to try this one.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28217709-banshee-hunt

10) PM Drummond-Perdition 
Marlee wants to be normal not dealing with her telekinesis, crazy moths, Harley riding monster killer and mercenaries trying to kidnap her. She could do without the werewolves and vampires too. I've been fascinate by this kind of power since I first read Carrie and it also sounds like a lot of action and monster mayhem.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30843953-perdition 

8 comments:

  1. Number 7 sounds bonkers fun and my sort of read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May Contain Magic looks and sounds interesting. I also know Kritsen raves about The Immortal Coil books so I'm hoping to get to that series soon myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those covers for the Immortal Coil series! There are a lot of ebooks I want to get to ie nine out of this ten, but I need to clear my actual bookshelves so I have to deal in paperbacks for the rest of this year I think!

      Delete
  3. Was it my blog where you saw Steal the Light? Lol. As much as I don't want to discourage anyone from reading that series since I love it, I'm afraid you're gonna hate it because of all the sex and romance.

    But I do think you might like Soul Breaker and The Immortal Coil! Though I agree the blurb for Immortal Coil is really vague.

    Firstborn sounds fun, gonna add that one to my list! And gonna check out May Contain Magic too because I do like vampires lol. You're right, there aren't a lot of banshee books, so curious about that one too! Pretty sure I have a book w/ a banshee MC, just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was your blog that I saw it. Don't worry, you were very clear in your posts about the sex and romance but I was intrigued by the story and what you said about the writing. If the writing is good and I love the characters, I can put up with the sex and still read it. I'll give it a try anyway! I like the sound of the other two very much!

      So many exciting possibilities!

      Delete
  4. These are all new to me so I haven't read any of them. They do sound like my kind of reads so I will look for your thoughts once you get to start them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a bit panicked when I think of how many books need my urgent attention! At the moment these books need to take a back seat as I need to get my paperbacks dealt with to give myself room on my bookshelves!

      Delete