Saturday, 12 August 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
I started to get back on track with my reading this week which is a relief. I found that a nice apocalypse is enough to break a minor reading slump followed by a nice sea monster horror! Yes Deep Blue Terror has hit the Book Cave and for the rest of the month I'll be tackling books and films about sharks, sea monsters, cannibal fish, krakens, crocodiles and other nasties! I started by reading Hunter Shea's 'They Rise', re-watched Deep Blue Sea, and watched the somewhat appalling 2 Headed Shark Attack! Jeez the acting was painful, script dreadful, continuity non existant but plenty people get eaten so that was ok. Today I start 'Loch Ness Revenge' by the same author and watch 3 Headed Shark Attack and Five Headed Shark Attack! Oh dear!  

On the book side of things I ordered 2 this week which have arrived, both being new books in series I'm following. I did download a few books to fit my Deep Blue Terror though so I'll share those with you. We also bought a Sodastream and Ice Cream Maker last weekend. I had to order the Soda Stream concentrates from Amazon as Argos as usual never have anything in stock. I'm still trying to get the food processor and deep fat fryer but they stay stubbornly out of stock too! Useless mob. What use are they if things are never in stock???

DOWNLOADS:







Chuckles Blogging World:
Apologies to everyone who left a comment this week as I didn't get to answer most of them until yesterday which is really sloppy of me. I had it in my head that I had answered everyone so it was a shock to realise that wasn't true! However, I'm caught up now, except for comments left yesterday which I'll answer as soon as I do this post. As always, a link is provided for each blog post from last week to take you straight to anything you missed. Comments are moderated so it might take a day or two to see it on the blog! Check out my Next Week section to see what is coming next at the Book Cave...

Book Reviews: 
I got a few book reviews done this week but I still can't seem to get ahead on the blasted things! New plan is to get the rest of the Morganville Vampires reviews done from May so I can get on to reviews for standalone books. Maybe that will motivate me more! 

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction End #5

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Aftermath #6

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Lost #6.5

Rachel Caine-Bite Club (Morganville Vampires #10)

Rachel Caine-Last Breath (Morganville Vampires #11)

Regular Features:
This week on Cover Love I featured Deborah Blake, I brought you the best of the bloggyverse in Around The Blogs With Chuckles-featuring Game of Thrones, Peanut Butter Prison escapes, Racists looking dumb and the Texas Butthole Tickling Bandit! Top Ten Tuesday continued my look at the Urban Fantasy Series I want to read, Can't Wait Wednesday I featured a new Sookie Stackhouse anthology!  I also continued with my new feature where I share a few thoughts on book samples I've downloaded, called Chuckles Goes Sampling. In that I looked at Fire Sorcerer, A Thousand Yesteryears (Mothman), and Cities on Fire.

Chuckles Cover Love-Deborah Blake

Chuckles Goes Sampling

Around The Blogs With Chuckles

Top Ten Tuesday-UF Series I Want To Read

Can't Wait Wednesday-Sookie Stackhouse anthology

Discussion Posts: 
Chuckles Chat this week looked at the ups and downs of Authors Replying Back, while  my Game of Thrones Gossip looked at the Battle of the Blackwater! I also reviewed episode four of my Game of Thrones Season 7 analysis.

Chuckles Chat-Authors Replying Back

Game of Thrones Review Season 7 Episode 4

Game of Thrones Gossip-Battle of the Blackwater

Special Features: 

Deep Blue Terror! 
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/deep-blue-terror-at-book-cave.html 

Book Tags: 
none this week

Book Challenge Updates:
My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 161/250. I read and finished five books, DNFed one which was boring me plus I read more book samples.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 802. *grimaces* I hope the sampling for the second half of the year instead of impulse buying helps. My total hasn't gone up in four weeks which is something!

Currently Reading/Next Up:
 I deviated from the planned books as I wasn't feeling vampirey this week. I read the last two books in the apocalypse series about the Blaine Family by David Nelson, then I read Hunter Shea's 'They Rise'. I'm currently reading the same author's 'Loch Ness Revenge' which I'll finish today. These are next up!


Next Week On The Blog? 
Chuckles Cover Love features Zoe Marriott, Top Ten Tuesday features Top Ten books made into films/TV series, Can't Wait Wednesday features some cannibals, Game of Thrones Gossip features Jorah Mormont, Chuckles Chat looks at Favourite TV as a kid. There will also be a Game of Thrones special post on S7 Ep 5 to enjoy and some more blog posts I've enjoyed this week online!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

20 comments:

  1. You're doing okay -- I'm at 1,100ish books owned and unread. *grin* Looks like some fun books in your haul -- hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel a bit better when I see your total Nikki! I plan to have lots of monster fun this week!

      SHARK!!!

      Delete
  2. You are doing great on your Goodreads challenge! I also own way too many unread books right now. I've stopped requesting ARCs and I've been trying to work on ebooks and physical books that I already own. I hope you love all of the new downloads you got recently and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy working on a backlog of books is it! I can imagine that ARCs make it even more difficult to control! Have a great weekend Julie!

      Delete
  3. Yay I'm so glad you're back on track with reading! Hope you enjoy the books you're currently reading. And it always amazes me how you manage to blog so much every week!

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I can blog so much is because I can't work through ill health. I'd never find time for it otherwise! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Nice haul - Just Add Water was a fun read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing good things about this one and I certainly like the author. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. I hope you enjoy Just Add Water. That cover of Kraken is just plain AWESOME! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Just Add Water and loved the wasabi bit! It shows that you should get to know all your takeaway and restaurant workers so they can save the world for you! I hope to read the Kraken one before the weekend. Been a bit lazy yesterday!

      Delete
  6. How frustrating that the things you ordered were out of stock! I have a soda stream but haven't used it in a really long time. I hope you enjoy and have a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually enjoying all the flavours I've tried so far. Definitely surprised by the cola and the raspberry & cranberry mix as I usually hate cranberry! I did manage to pick up the other gadgets but not the bargain price versions I was looking for. Typical! Well I won't care when I'm making crunchy chips!

      Delete
  7. Hahaha, “plenty of people get eaten.” The movies where people get eaten are the best.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if a shark film isn't great, multiple deaths make it worthwhile!

      Delete
  8. You picked up some really good one new books this week. I hope you enjoy them. :)

    Thank you for stopping by earlier,
    Jenea's Book Obsession's Sunday's Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited by all these monsters! I do love a good sea monster or shark thing going on!

      Delete
  9. Some fabulous looking books. I want them all. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like a bit of a monster splurge!

      Delete
  10. ugh sorry to hear about your bad luck shopping! I agree! nothing like a good apocalyptic to break a reading slump glad you are reading again. That cover of Kraken is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting Kraken next...hope it's good as it looks!

      Delete