Saturday, 15 July 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Here we are at the end of another week and it's just a few sleeps to go until Game of Thrones is back! I can't tell you how excited I am! I've just rewatched season 4 and I'm not sure how I'll fit in seasons five and six before Monday! Thankfully I have got my dad to start watching it again and he's re-watched season one and is now halfway through season two and is a massive Tyrion fan! So am I. I think he's brilliant. I can't wait to see my dad's reaction to some of the big events in the series!

Moving on to books, it has been a decent reading week. I've looked at a few samples which I'll review on Sunday, and read a few books and deleted a few I no longer want to read. By rewatching GoT my reading time was limited. Next week I need to get a ton done and maybe get below that 800 on the dreaded tbr! I didn't buy much in the way of books but a pre-order arrived along with a few other paperbacks. I bought these before I decided to switch to sampling instead of buying but I am very excited for Shark Island and Warlock Holmes! Besieged and Bad Boys of Brexit were pre-orders coming in and Zombies Run! is a book based on the exercise app which might help get me in shape as I have no mobile phone. I did treat myself to a Happy Game of Thrones Returning gift though...well, you have to don't you!

PAPERBACKS: 


 
 
 
AUDIOBOOK CD GIFTS TO MYSELF:
I managed to get a really good deal on these two but the rest of the series is too expensive to buy at the moment. Maybe a Black Friday deal...?
 
 
 
Chuckles Blogging World:
 I confess that I didn't do that well in blog visits this week. I'm still three weeks ahead in my regular posts and a week ahead in reviews so I'm happy with that. As always, links are provided for all posts from last week and it isn't too late to stop by and leave a comment! Comments are moderated so it might take a day or two to see it on the blog! Don't forget to check out my Next Week section to see what excitement is coming. 
 
Book Reviews: 
I'm not feeling motivated to write any at the moment and I have review notes for books read in May and June which I need to get into reviews and post them online. I'm being really lazy about it and need to do better. I am a week ahead in having reviews ready to post but it won't last long if I don't start getting them written! These reviews were from May when I was catching up with the Morganville Vampires and a few NF.
 
Rachel Caine-Carpe Corpus (Morganville Vampires #6)
 
Christopher Whittle-With Hope In Your Heart

Michael Mosbacher-Brexit Revolt

Stephen Homewood-Zeebrugge
 
Michael Ashcroft-Well You Did Ask...

Regular Features:
I'm three weeks ahead in most of my Regular Features which I'm happy with. It's going to be a big help in allowing me time to go lurking on your blogs and watching some Masterchef Australia which I LOVE! This week on Cover Love I featured SJ Pajonas, I bring you the best of the bloggyverse in Around The Blogs With Chuckles, Top Ten Tuesday continued my look at the Best Urban Fantasy Series, Can't Wait Wednesday was all about Monster Born which looks great, Feed my TBR looked at sharks! I also have a new feature where I share a few thoughts on book samples I've downloaded, called Chuckles Goes Sampling.
 
Chuckles Cover Love-SJ Pajonas

Around The Blogs With Chuckles
 
Top Ten Tuesday-Best Urban Fantasy Series pt2

Can't Wait Wednesday-Kris Austen Radcliffe
 
Feed My TBR-Sharks!

Chuckles Goes Sampling!
 
Discussion Posts: 
Chuckles Chat this week looks at The Rapist Thug as a hero in fiction and why I hate it, while  my Game of Thrones Gossip looks at Jon Snow in seasons 1 and 2!
 
Chuckles Chat-The Rapist Thug Hero

Game of Thrones Gossip-Jon Snow
 
Special Features: 
none this week
 
Book Tags: 

http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/norse-mythology-book-tag.html 
 
Book Challenge Updates:
 
My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 150/250. This was a good week for getting books read and hitting 150 was great.Still a chance of reaching 300 if I can avoid any reading slumps! But 250 would still be a nice booky achievement again.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 808. *grimaces* I hope the sampling for the second half of the year instead of impulse buying helps.
 
Currently Reading/Next Up:  
 
I'm just finishing Melinda Braun's 'Stranded' which was a decent read as well as DNFing two Ann Charles books. Next up this week I plan to look atThe Immortals, which I worry might be too slow for me, The Shadowkiller as I need some Bigfoot in my life and Six of Crows.

 
Next Week On The Blog? 
Chuckles Cover Love features Sarah J Maas, Top Ten Tuesday features part 3 of my Urban Fantasy list, Can't Wait Wednesday features a very long awaited book, Game of Thrones Gossip features Dany in Qarth, Chuckles Chat looks at Selfies and Feed my TBR will be on the subject of sea monsters! There will also be a Game of Thrones special post on S& Ep 1 to enjoy and the first reviews of samples from my ereader!
 
That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

22 comments:

  1. Hope you absolutely LOVE Six of Crows! I'm so excited you're going to read it! YAY!

    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be starting on that tonight! I'm not a big reader of YA but I like the sound of the plot so we'll give it a try! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see what you think of Six of Crows. I own that one but haven't found time to pick it up yet. Everyone seems to love it. My best friend and my husband have both been going crazy about Game of Thrones coming back soon. lol! They are super fans. Hope you enjoy all of your new books and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a super fan of GoT too...I'm having a binge weekend of seasons five and six! I so cannot wait! Six of Crows seems popular but I'm always wary of hype...

      Delete
  3. I’m so ready for GoT! Over the past few weeks, I’ve rewatched seasons 4/5/6. I’m hoping to rewatch the beginning of season 3 today.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl is binge watching seasons five and six this weekend! My dad is way back on seeing season two for the first time and trying to avoid the trailers!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Immortals. I still haven't read that one yetl. So glad you snagged Shark Island as well. Glad you Dad finally got GoT fever. I'm so excited for tomorrow! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get these books looked at...I've done virtually no reading this week and I want these three looked at by the weekend! My dad LOVES Tyrion! We finished season two yesterday and start season three this afternoon!

      Delete
  5. I've been tempted by the GoT audiobooks sometimes -- I've seen the sets in The Works at a steep discount now and again, if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for the tip! We have The Works in our town so I'll keep an eye on that. I'm looking to get a few of my favourites on audio cd for cold winter nights when I want to have an early night! £60 is WAY too much to be paying!

      Delete
  6. Uh, I've seen 'The Immortals' somewhere and thought it sounded interesting! I wait for your review :D Wasn't really sure if it was for me.

    One more sleep until GoT!!!! Soo excited as well, I can't wait! Watched a 'What happened so far'-Special yesterday with Sue Perkins (I like her!) and now I am even more hype.

    I plan to get an Episode 1-review up on Wednesday, if yours is there by then, I link to you. This'll be so much fun to discuss the episodes and see what everyone else is thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure about The Immortals either as a few people say it's slow to get to the action but I'll give it a try this week anyway! The first episode of GoT was awesome! I started watching it after season 6 aired so I was able to binge watch it all. Having to wait a whole week for each episode is a new experience and I hate it!

      Delete
  7. So many people are excited about Game of Thrones starting again...I hope it lives up to your expectations. Lots of great books this week. I hope you love them all. I look forward to your thoughts on Six of Crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get some reading done from tonight onwards...I've been so obsessed with GoT starting that I've lost track of everything else!

      Delete
  8. Yay, I hope you enjoy Warlock Holmes and Shark Island! And while I'm not into political books, I have to say I am quite curious about Bad Boys of Brexit.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get reading both but I must get some of these others looked at first! Gah! Too many books!

      Delete
  9. I'm waiting for your review of Shark Island before I grab a copy. I spy several others that sound like good fits for me too. And I too mentioned being behind on reading and reviewing. I just didn't have the mojo this week. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be next month before I get to Shark Island I think though I do want to read it now! This week has been I'm-tired-and-want-to-watch-GoT-and-Masterchef Australia-mood!

      Delete
  10. Yay Game of Thrones! Just think in a day or so we'll all be able to talk about the latest developments! Shark Island I'll be awaiting your review! And Zombies, Run looks fun.

    I need to get to Six of Crows too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game of Thrones has just been my main focus over the last week or two. It's an obsession!

      Delete
  11. Oh yeah to Shark Island and Shadow Killer.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can look at The Shadowkiller before the weekend!

      Delete