Saturday, 1 July 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
It's the end of another week at The Book Cave and it was a pretty good one overall! Reading was excellent as I tackled more of the Morganville Vampires. I have two books to complete and three short stories then I'm done! I should get those done at the start of August. I just couldn't keep up the book a day schedule with things needing doing around the house. Still, at least I know I will finish one big series this year which is good! This month is all about trying new authors from the ereader and in paperback to see which I want to stick with. August will be about finishing off a few series hopefully, including Morganville. So far, summer reading has been good and I hope it continues! I downloaded some books this week but no paperback purchases except one second hand book!

On the blogging side, I remained ahead by the best part of a week but today I plan to tackle the next three top ten tuesdays which are my own topic choice and a discussion post which will put me three weeks ahead with all my regular posts except Around the Blogs and STS which I complete each weekend. In theory this means I can concentrate on getting ahead with my book reviews which I'm a bit behind with. The goal by next weekend is to be three weeks ahead completely which means more time for blog visits and fun stuff! This will make a huge difference to the Book Cave. The extra work this week means it took a bit longer to answer your comments and visit but things should be back to normal this week. I also revamped my blog with a bit more Game of Thrones and Harry Potter and moved everything into some kind of order! I'm much happier with it now!

DOWNLOADS:
This week, the books were recommendations from blogging friends that I decided to try or I've seen the books on their blogs. Don't worry if I don't like them-not your fault!





GIFTS!



This bad boy will be hanging up on my bedroom wall very soon! 

Chuckles Blogging World:
 As I said above, I'm aiming to get three weeks ahead in the majority of my posts to give myself more time for fun stuff online like Pinterest and more blog visits. It meant hard work this week to compose my posts but I'm ahead in Cover Love, Can't Wait Wednesday, GoT Gossip by three weeks, Chuckles Chat by two weeks. Today I plan to do a third Chuckles Chat and my three TTT to get a real head start. Then I need to get as many reviews written this week as I can so I am almost fully three weeks ahead. For formatting reasons I always do my STS on each Saturday and I do my Around The Blogs post through each week so obviously I won't get ahead in the. Things are looking good though! As always, click on the links for any post you might have missed last week and say hi! All comments will be answered.

Book Reviews: 
I'm so frustrated by my lack of progress on reviews which is why I decided on this blog-ahead-fest! This will give me more time this week to get a pile of reviews done and have some in reserve for busy days. That's the plan anyway!

Cherie Priest-Hellbent

Rachel Caine-Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires #1)

Rachel Caine-Dead Girls Dance (Morganville Vampires #2)

Rachel Caine-Midnight Alley (Morganville Vampires #3)

Regular Features:
This week my Cover Love looked at a beautiful set of apocalypse books by Kate Morris. I lurked on the blogs of others to bring you Around The Blogs With Chuckles which looks at the best posts out there that you may have missed. Top Ten Tuesday was best books read in 2017 so far while Can't Wait Wednesday was The Prisoner of Azkaban illustrated! No Feed my TBR this week because I forgot about it!

Chuckles Cover Love-Kate Morris

Around The Blogs With Chuckles

Top Ten Tuesday-Best Books Read in 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday-Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussion Posts: 
 This week my Chuckles Chat was on AI in your home and my Game of Thrones Gossip Post was on Catelyn Stark.

Chuckles Chat-AI In Your Home

Game of Thrones Gossip-Catelyn Stark

Special Features:
I talk about how Harry Potter reawakened my love of reading and helped my depression, as we celebrate 20 years since the first book was published..

Happy Birthday Harry Potter

Book Tags:
none this week

Book Challenge Updates: 

Reading With Chuckles June Review

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 132/250. This was another productive week for getting books read. 

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 819.*sigh* I did show restraint and only picked up a few downloads this week but this month I need the total down below 800 and staying there!

Currently Reading: 
Today I start my July New-To-Me Challenge so I'll be trying a pile of new authors. The immediate plan this afternoon is to read KT Tomb-Dinosaur Island.


Next Reads? 
 I'm going with a few shorter stories/prequels stories that I want to try. MV Stott, JA Cipriano, David Bussell, HD Lynn and Saul Tanpepper are first up!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

24 comments:

  1. I saw And I Darken on sale and almost scooped it up but I'm trying not to pick up any new books for a while. I'm struggling to keep up with the ARCs that I have now, so I haven't been finding much time for books that I already own. I hope you really love it and all the others you were able to get this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I grabbed ARCs like most people I'd be in a world of hurt with the tbr! I had a crisis when when ereader was full this morning but I spent two hours going through it and deleting what I was finished with so there is room for more! *shakes head* Not sure I'll like And I Darken but I'll give it a try!

      Delete
  2. You’re so organized. I feel like I’m always struggling to stay ahead with my blog. I’m trying really hard to catch up on reviews right now. Enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of effort to start getting ahead that's for sure! I'm working on my next three TTT posts tomorrow so then it'll be write as many reviews as I can ready to post in the next few weeks!

      Delete
  3. Oh you got And I Darken!! I loved that book so much, Chuckles, and I hope you will, too!
    I need to blog more and write all my reviews... These days, I only want to read - not write reviews o.O
    have a fantastic weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I Darken is way out of my comfort zone but I was curious about a female version of Vlad. I really don't like writing reviews which kind of sucks on a book blog! They just seem to take me forever to write!

      Delete
  4. Glad it's been good reading! And love that Ned Stark print- awesome! Glad to see your GoT Gossip feature is a regular as well- I enjoy reading those. Especially with S7 almost on us- eep! Let the fanboying/ fangirling begin lol.

    I've started doing Can't Wait Wednesday too. I used to do Waiting on Wednesday, then that went dark, and lately I noticed Wishful Endings had sorta picked it up, those are always fun posts.

    BTW I love the Game of Thrones shields in your sidebar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for non copywritten GoT stuff and found the shields on Pixabay which was fun! I was pleased with the Ned based cast autograph sheet but some of the autographs are so messy you can't tell who they are! I have my eye on one of Tyrion and the dragon...I'm getting my fangirling going right now!

      Delete
  5. I read And I Darken as an ARC and enjoyed the idea of the story and I'm curious to see how book two goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll surprise myself and love it...I hope so!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you have been getting a ton done and read. Good job! You also grabbed some great looking books. I enjoy these recaps because they give me a chance to see if I missed anything during the week. I'm kind of bummed that there won't be an official TTT for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing 3 or 4 weeks of best urban fantasy series for TTT so I don't need to think up too many of my own categories! Might do some horror after that until it starts up again. I'm happy with progress but I seem to have a lot of niggily time consuming stuff I need to do so getting ahead with posts should help.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed And I Darken when I read it last year, and I just recently finished the sequel and thought it was even better! I hope you'll enjoy the book! And that's one sweet GoT poster!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be going up on my wall when I work out who each autograph is! Fingers crossed for the book as I don't usually read that kind of thing!

      Delete
  8. Glad you had a great reading week!! I'm dying to read And I Darken - hope you love it!

    Have a lovely July :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to keep the good reading going as summer is my danger time for slumps! I'm always more motivated in the winter I think!

      Delete
  9. Great week, again! I'sure enjoy your posts and looks like I might have a new book to get. I'll wait for your review as you are spot on about ones I'd like. Dinosaur Island sure has a great cover and I hope it's good! Happy reading, and Happy 4th!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I thought dinosaur Island was rubbish! Too much philosophy and religion, not enough dinosaurs! We don't celebrate the 4th of July over here but I hope you had a good day!

      Delete
  10. I wish I could manage to blog ahead, but it never seems to happen. Oh well---I've mostly come to terms with my procrastination. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing well at getting the posts I do every week preplanned...I'm three weeks ahead in those but I can't seem to do the same with reviews! I did enough today to last me to Friday but the weekend will leave me struggling to get reviews for next week done!

      Delete
  11. It doesn't happen often but I really like it when I can get a bit ahead with the blog. I hope you enjoy all of your new books. I liked And I Darken and hope to read the next book in the series soon. That Game of Thrones photo is going to look great on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with the autographed GOT pic...now I can look at Ned Stark on my wall every day!

      Delete
  12. Good luck with getting your reviews written up! I have a bunch I need to do, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so slow and useless at getting reviews done! I don't know why it is such a problem as I take notes while I'm reading but it never seems to speed the reviews up!

      Delete