Sunday, 9 July 2017

Chuckles Goes Sampling!


Seeing Kermit surrounded and almost buried in leaves kind of reminds me of my relationship with books. I'm pretty much buried in them too! I have no more space in my house for the books I buy and piles are sitting on the floor which isn't good and I can't read them quick enough because I keep buying!!! I've battled to reduce the tbr without success this year but now Kermit and I are embarking on a new plan to reduce the book buying and give me a chance to reduce the tbr at last. The Plan? Download samples instead of buying!

The thing about Chuckles is that I can generally tell in the first few chapters if I'm going to hate a book or not. If it is dreadfully slow, the MCs are obnoxious, it's all tell no show, instant tropes, racist, sexist, cliched' etc, I can see that in the opening chapters and will DNF it. So by reading the samples instead of buying, I get to try the start of each book and if I don't enjoy it, I delete the book and I'm not out of pocket! That sounds like a plan to me!

I know you guys have probably been doing this for years and I sort of kept meaning to do this but never got round to it. However on a blog I've newly followed, Sarah at Dragons and Zombies https://dragonsandzombies.com/home/ talks about how her tbr is under TEN because she reads samples instead of just buying piles of buying new books and I just thought that now was the time to try this. 

I still intend to buy books but this way I'm only buying books where I've been interested in how it starts which gives me a much better chance of liking it, as well as series I'm currently enjoying. I'll be doing a weekly post on my sample reading to give my views on the books I've tried and whether I plan to go ahead and get the book. Every Sunday night will be sample night where I start getting them read and then I'll do a post about them to share with you guys. Obviously I'll still grab freebies and buy new releases in favourite series but I do want to cut the amount that comes into the house. Another added advantage is that if I'm unsure whether or not I'll like a book that I'm seeing on blogs or is recommended by a friend, I can try it free! 

Tonight I start reading my samples and I'll post my first Sampling With Chuckles post next week to show you how I got on.

18 comments:

  1. Kermit looks like he’s drowning. Good luck with your sampling!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit like Kermit these days! I hope this is going to work!

      Delete
  2. That's actually a brilliant idea. I don't buy tons of books unless they are secondhand but my TBR is still outrageous thanks to what I already own and borrow from the library and I'll force myself through every single book even if I'm not a big fan. Perhaps sampling is the better way to go.

    Stacy Renee @ Lazy Day Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must be the last person in the bookyverse to think about sampling instead of spending! I've got 22 from my wishlist to be looked at this week so we'll see how that goes!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing Sarah's blog. I'm heading over to check it out. I've been reading samples for a while. It sure will reduce the amount of books you buy. And like you mentioned, I can usually get an idea of whether I will like the book before purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it works Laura! If I don't stop the impulse buying my bookshelves are going to crumple! I'm hopeful as I can usually tell quickly if I have a chance of liking a book.

      Delete
  4. Look forward to see how this experiment goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a fantastic idea. My TBR is a thousand miles long. I have stopped buying books, but I still use the library. For me, if I don't like it, I am not out any money. I am also not requesting as many ARCs as I once did. I have over committed to reading these, to the point where I don't have time to read the books waiting for me at home.

    Please keep posting about how your plan is working. I will be very interested to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been buried under books years ago if I requested ARCs! I have enough trouble with my own books! I hope to post each Sunday about my progress so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. I need to do this. I will never be able to read all of my books but I can't seem to stop adding to the pile. I will be looking forward to your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exactly the problem I have Carole and I've tried really hard to get the tbr down but nothing much is working. But if I can stick to samples for a couple of months while I read as much as I can, hopefully the numbers will finally fall!

      Delete
  7. This is a great way to do it. I often make a decision whether to buy by reading the sample at Amazon first- it often makes the decision for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd done this a year ago! Drastic times call for action though...

      Delete
  8. I love it! Now we can 'sample' together :D Looking forward to what you read during the week and what your thoughts are!

    I was worried that I might not make up my mind with only the start of the novel.. But in all cases so far, I was pretty sure whether I want to read it or not. And they give you more than just a couple of pages, which is great!

    I am trying 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King at the moment and it's a long sample! Interesting as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grabbed a right mixture so far-urban fantasy, historical fiction, zombies, apocalypses...some I really wanted to read but others I was in two minds about. Is it wrong to hope that I don't like most of the samples?! *grins* Under the Dome...I've had that paperback staring at me for a few years now and I really need to deal with it. Eventually!

      Delete
  9. yup I can tell in the first chapters if I'm going to like it pr not as well. That's why I DNF so many books. Because I KNOW ME very well. I know I will not like it. So many books, so little time.. why force myself to finish books I don't love?? I read lots of samples too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I know my own tastes pretty well by now so I hope the samples will help me with less book buying. I need one of Hermione's time turners to fit in more books!

      Delete