Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

This week the topic is Ten Things on my reading wishlist. I'm up to my eyes in tasks today and I don't have time to get fancy so here it is.

1) More Writing from George RR Martin! 
As in, get The Winds of Winter and the next book published already! I'm about to start reading the books and I'm not patient about long waits for sequels, you get me?!

2) More Book Series that match! 
Listen publisher dudes and dudettes, I don't care if I'm reading mass market or bigger books but JUST MAKE THE WHOLE SERIES THE SAME SIZE! I hate having to seperate book series onto different shelves because of size! I want to store them together in order but I'm not going to re-buy to have them all one size y'know so don't mess me about!

3) More Book Covers that match! 
Yes publishers, I'm talking to you again. STOP changing the cover designs part of the way through the series...it drives me BONKERS! I want all my pretty books to match and when they don't I get a little upset. I will NOT pay good money to re-buy a series from scratch to make it all match so stop being greedy!

4) More Complete Books!
Anyone else fed up with this new trend of cutting a good sized book into small parts and calling it a serial novel? And charging you around the price of a book for each tiny paperback? I've stopped dealing with these bite size books as it is a greedy rip off frankly.

5) More of a difference between UF and PNR!
Look authors, when I buy urban fantasy I expect a full action plot with minimum or no romance not love angst all the way through it with plot in the background! If you are doing a full romance storyline, call it paranormal romance and stop claiming it is UF! It drives me nuts when UF is sex filled with little plot and it WILL get you one star if you lie to me, right?

6) More Time Spent on Editing and Proof Reading! 
This is something I see all the time in Indie books and it puts a lot of people off reading the books. If you are going to sell the product it needs to be read and edited to get rid of most of the mistakes as I hate ploughing through books with no real effort by the author to clean it up. I'm tolerant if the story is good but I still find it lazy.

7) More Numbers on Books!
If the book series is long, does it really take much effort to label each book with what number it is in the series? I don't have a great memory so if there are 16 books I want to see at a glance which book is which instead of having to look it up on Goodreads every time!

8) More Originality! 
You've seen it right? The Chosen One. Wanted for a crime they didn't commit. New girl bullied by cheerleaders. Only You Can Save the World! Yes, I'm talking about the cliche storylines you see all the time in books with little difference between the various offerings. Just do something more original already! Lets see more grandparents having adventures or disabled characters in zombie books!

9) More Competitive Prices on Indie Books!
I buy mostly Indie books as I read tons of zombies and apocalypses but the average book is £10-13 which is a LOT of money! Come on, you must be able to get some out cheaper than that!

10) More Books Without Romance!
Some of us actually enjoy books without all the romance angst getting in the way. I wish authors would stop assuming that everyone wants to read the same thing and write some good UF and horror without it. Ditch the instaluv and love triangle tropes!  

24 comments:

  1. I like the idea of dropping a Roman Numeral on the book spine in series. That would help me in a bookstore alot. I would also love covers that go together better in paperback series especially; my Pratchett shelf looks like a random group of authors if one doesn't look at the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been impossible to get the same cover style on so many TP books...ugh I feel your pain! In big series I just feel we do need numbers on each series book!

      Delete
  2. YES! No romance would be wonderful. Also, one of the reasons I avoid indie books is because of the editing. A few typos are fine, but I don’t want to feel like I’m slogging through a rough draft.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the standard of editing in Indie books is very sloppy and it does bug me. I can overlook it if the story is really great but a poor book plus editing issues I get annoyed with. Some romance free UF and horror would be wonderful or books that feature established would be better than angst!

      Delete
  3. I love all of your comments but especially #1, #4 and #7. I want to be assured GRRM is going to actually complete the series before I invest in starting it. If something were to happen to him, think how many people will be upset. I also agree with serial books and the prices on them - ridiculous. Number would definitely make purchasing easier - especially when they like to change the covers so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to see The Winds of Winter out and KNOW he is working on the next one. When that'll come out is anyone's guess. I do get nervous that he might not get it finished which would be a disaster. I'm also not keen on the rumour that Neil Gaiman is co-writing it as I don't like his work. I certainly need numbers on covers to keep me straight in long series especially if the titles are similar.

      Delete
  4. I love your list Chuckles. I am especially bothered by those half/unfinished so-called books. The numbers on the spine of series is another thing. I am constantly reading them out of order and aggravating myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory is really bad and a few times I've read the books out of order. It takes no effort to write the numbers on it! I've had to write inside the books the numbers to remind myself but I don't like defacing the books like that!

      Delete
  5. I must say £10-13 isn't a lot of money. :P A new Norwegian book costs about £35. ;) And bookshops can't even lower the price at all during the first year of sale. A normal English paperback (cheapest we can get here in Norway) is £11.
    Fun to see complaints about price in countries not being Norway.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £10-13 is a lot of money to me when I don't have a job and my government thinks £60 a week is enough to live on for bills, clothes and food. I have to sell and trade books and other things for gift cards to buy the books I want.

      Delete
  6. omg yes on originality and romanceless and for god sake editing! haha you cracked me up! I love to find a kindred ocd spirit like mine mismatched covers and sizes drive me crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have book OCD...I have to sort things neatly or I get twitchy. I'm the same with my dads dvd shelves. He'll put them in upside down or not alphabetical and I can't stand it!

      Delete
  7. Ha yes The Winds of Winter! We need more of the story George, what's the hold up??? And #s 2 and 3. STOP with the book size changes gah, I so agree w/ that. Also yes to UF/ PNR- I like UF but PNR is not my thing, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. I'd like a little more differentiation, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there should be a rule...if there is sex in the book, there must be a half naked person on the front to alert you. If there is no sex a fully clotherd hero or heroine. That would solve the problem! As for The Winds of Winter, I totally despair. I wish he would stop with the other projects and just deliver the darn books!

      Delete
  8. Seriously, they just need to start making books in series match in cover style and size! And you already know I hate those half-books since I've ranted about it here before lol.

    I also agree about the editing thing. I'll tolerate some errors, but it makes a book seem unpolished, and I know some people can't stand it. It gives indie books a bad rap. And I get so frustrated when books in a series aren't numbered! Like, why can't they just include that on the cover??? Sometimes even on GR and Amazon they don't put a number????? If I have to spend 20 minutes trying to figure out which is the first book in a series or something, well, I have better things to do with those 20 minutes.

    But the indie book prices, I don't think it's the fault of the authors or publishers. It's that the pay-per-book printing costs a lot more than the publishers who print out tons at a time. The only way they can make money is to charge more. And the ebooks of indie books usually cost less than big publisher books. What bums me is that big publisher books are so expensive, even the ebooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get why publishers mess us about so much with changing covers and book sizes. It drives me mad! Serial novels...I'm at the end of my patience with them. There are too many and too expensive.

      The numbering drives me crazy. I agree, sometimes Amazon and Goodreads don't have any info about which book it is. I've bought books then discovered it is book 3/5 or something dumb. It's not hard to just number them! Gah! I lose interest in the book if I have to go searching for that information. The price of some ebooks I see are higher than the paperbacks at time! That might be why ebook sales are down a bit and real books are selling more...

      Delete
  9. I agree with you on so many of these. In fact numbers 6 and 10 are on my list this week. And #2, yes, yes, YES! I hate having series on my shelves that don't match. And #8 too, that's just absolutely true.

    My TTT: http://books.thetechchef.net/top-ten-tuesday-24/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't escape romance in books these days. In zombie books, the zombies are trying to break into their compound and all we are getting is relationship angst! Who cares when the zombie is about to eat you!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. We're not asking for the world right?!! Just match the book sizes and covers!

      Delete
  11. Wouldn't numbers on a book be wonderful? I really wish they would do that. I also like consistency with size and cover. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice neat books all the same size with matching cover designs and numbered...a girl can dream!

      Delete
  12. Yes to number 7! This is why I appreciate Orbit books, I've noticed that they do put the book numbers on the spines if they know ahead of time how many books will be a series. And i'm personally not into this new serial novel fad either, it's just not a good fit for my reading style. I'll still read them, but only after the "season" is complete and I'll binge it all at once. It's how I watch tv shows too :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea for Orbit books! Quite a few of my Indie series are kind enough to number the books to help the reader. I wish they would number some of these big UF series though! ie Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin and Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville!

      Delete