Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/  

This week the topic is Summer Read Freebie. OK I just don't do summer. I don't go on beach holidays coz I hate the sun and the insects, I don't read summer beach reads as I dislike the contemporary genre. I'm a Stark from Winterfell and Winter is Coming! Y'know? I was baffled as to what to do but then I thought 'stuff it' I'm doing a winter chiller list!

Ten Winter books to chill and entertain!

1) George RR Martin-A Game of Thrones 
I finally read this book this week and loved it! Well written, not over descriptive and gets you more into the minds of the characters, with extra stuff on the Lannisters fighting the Tully and Stark armies that you don't see in season one on TV. I liked the depth, the discussions of past events and the way the story just flowed. I just want to curl up in a nice warm room at Winterfell, cuddling a dire wolf and waiting for winter!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20873804-a-game-of-thrones  

2) Jon Krakauer-Into Thin Air 
The true story of the 1996 Everest disaster told through the eyewitness account of a journalist on one of the expeditions. He reveals the cold and fatigue, the poor decision making due to lack of oxygen and the harrowing aftermath of the storm which left people dead or stranded on the mountain. This was the first true life mountain disaster book I read and it left me hooked on the genre.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1898.Into_Thin_Air 

3) Tom Harper-Zodiac Station
An arctic circle research outpost becomes deadly when one of their men are murdered. It is described as a fast paced suspense thriller with some conspiracy and spies thrown in. OK so I'm intrigued and despite mixed reviews over the book's ending, I'll take the plunge and give this one a go as a love hostile environments!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25501078-zodiac-station 

4) Dean Koontz-Icebound
A team of scientists plant explosive charges for an Antarctic experiment, and they will blow at midnight. An accident on the ice strands them and as they try to think of a way to stop the bombs, a killer is taking them out one by one. I read this years ago and don't recall much except I liked it. I still have it and hope to reread it at some point.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1183550.Icebound 

5) Christopher Golden-Ararat
An earthquake and avalanche uncover something on Ararat that could be Noah's Ark and all manner of scientists flock to study it. However there is an evil force on the Ark that is infecting people and causing violence and death...I read this as an ARC earlier in the year and liked the tension and suspense as well as the action later in the book. A good read!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29939052-ararat

6) Matthew Reilly-Ice Station 
Nikki *waves* put me onto a book by this author and I thought a few of his books sounded pretty good, this being one of them. A team of US divers in Antarctica go missing and Marines are called in to help leading to battles with hostile wildlife and elite military assassins who want something under the ice. Ooh yes, loving the sound of that!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/144790.Ice_Station

7) Graham Bowley-No Way Down 
The true story of the 2008 disaster on K2, where an ice shelf collapse leaves thirty climbers trying to get down from the mountain without ropes and with little oxygen. This was an excellent and gripping true story about surviving on a deadly mountain and leaves you glad to be in your nice warm house.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8660439-no-way-down 

8) Evan Pedone-Expedition Everest
An Everest expedition and the hunt for a yeti all in one thriller? Yes thank you, I'll be reading this one! I can't remember which blogs I saw it on but I definitely want to read this one.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21863722-expedition-everest  

9) TW Piperbrook-Outage
When Abby and Rob wake to find themselves snowed in by a blizzard, they regret all the preperations for winter they were meant to make but didn't. What they didn't imagine was the werewolf hunting those who were trapped by the storm...Decent shortish horror read to pass a night, it has some tense scenes to enjoy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22543366-outage 

10) Jason Deyo-Winter's Salvation
A harsh Maryland winter is the only respite for four friends during the zombie apocalypse but that is when they start to realise that the new danger is going to come from within the people they gathered together for safety. I haven't read this one but winter and zombies seem rather appealing!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20625988-winter-s-salvation 

14 comments:

  1. I love how we both skipped the contemporary summer reads. I love Koontz and need to check out Icebound. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to reread it at some point to do a better review but who knows when I'll get round to it! Yeah I'm so not a contemporary kind of girl!

      Delete
  2. My wife has read Into Thin Air about once a year since I met her. Which is fair because I have read Game of Thrones at least six times myself. Good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Into Thin Air because of the detail and you get the sense of isolation and confusion that everyone had as things went wrong.

      Delete
  3. Believe it or not I STILL haven't read anything from Dean Koontz. For some reason I haven't read much from the big names. I made it about halfway through Game of Thrones but for some reason never finished it. lol Maybe one day I will pick it back up. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit he is not my favourite horror writer. I find his books can take too long to get into. I only really liked about three of those I tried.

      Delete
  4. Haha! I love your take on the topic. I also had no idea what to do for the topic this week. I just listed some books I’m looking forward to reading. Very uncreative of me.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When in doubt shove in a bit of horror! I'm just not a summer kind of girl!

      Delete
  5. I really should pick up Into Thin Air! It's the kind of thing I really find fascinating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good mountain climbing books out there but this is one of the best. It really puts you right in there imagining what is happening.

      Delete
  6. I see a couple Everest expedition books on this list! I just finished The White Road by Sarah Lotz, which was another horror-thriller set on Everest. I am not a mountaineer and I have no desire to ever be one, thank goodness...or I would be turned off from the sport forever! *shudder*

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love things connected in particular to Everest and K2 but mountains in general. I've got two bookshelves on mountain expeditions and disasters.

      Delete
  7. I've read most of these. Great List. I've been reading a zombie series set in the winter and Winter's Salvation sounds like a good one too. I seem to be drawn to horror stories with snow. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something about the snow and the isolation that makes a great basis for a story. I like the idea of zombies in there!

      Delete