Saturday, 27 May 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
A bit of a mixed week overall. We are in the middle of a heatwave which has set off my insomnia AND I've torn something in my neck which means I can't get comfortable sitting or lying down. It's all driving me a bit nuts. I hate summer as these warm spells really suck the energy out of me and make me grumpier than usual! I have, however, managed to get some decent reading done which cheers me up a bit. It's been zombies this week! I'm working my way through a Nicholas Sansbury Smith zombie series and I love it! In book three they rescue a military dog called Apollo, a German Shepherd and he's adorable!

On the book buying side of things it has been quiet with books I ordered last week arriving. One is a paperback copy of a book I enjoyed earlier this year-Swamp Monster Massacre. Plus a Tudor colouring book, Game of Thrones guide for seasons 3 and 4, more Game of Thrones journals AND a T Shirt featuring Steve Austin wrestling the Cookie Monster! There is nothing like the arrival of those Amazon boxes! On Thurday a pile of pre-orders are going to arrive so that is something to look forward to. Fun!

PAPERBACKS:







 


Chuckles Blogging World: 

Blogging didn't go too badly this week. I'd have preferred to get a few more reviews up but overall it was a decent week. I got most of my regular posts done and I was able to do a decent amount of blog hopping. I would like a bit more time on that, find a few new blogs to follow with similar interests, more time on Pinterest...but I'm pretty busy with stuff and spare time isn't forthcoming! I'm going to take a blog break at some point for a few days to recharge my batteries if I can get ahead this week and schedule some posts! Click on the link provided to go to each blog post if you missed it during the week and feel free to stop by and leave a comment!

 Book Reviews:

A couple of Retro Reads for you this week on the subjects of reapers, zombies and Greek mythology. The other reviews are all from books I read back in March this year.

Eric S Brown-Bigfoot War

Eric S Brown-Bigfoot War 2 Dead in the Woods

Eric S Brown-Bigfoot War 3 Food Chain

Ray Garton-'Nids

Catt Dahman-Louisiana Saturday Night

Stephanie Jackson-The Reaper Within

Ken Mooney-Godhead

JW Vohs-Zombie Crusade

JW Vohs-Zombie Snapshots

Regular Features: 

No funny election post this week as the campaign was suspended in the light of the Manchester bombing. Hope to do one this week though.

 Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Winter Books

Chuckles Cover Love-Rhiannon Frater

Around the Blogs With Chuckles

Discussion Posts:

Chuckles Chat-Horrible MCs

Game of Thrones Gossip-The Lannisters

Special Features: 

This week I did a special post on the Manchester terrorist attack.

Book Challenge Updates:

  My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 113/250

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 806.Not bad considering the big horror splurge I had!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

28 comments:

  1. I'm very insomniac too :( So, Sorry to hear about your insomnia and your neck. I know it suck not to be able to sleep and/or being in pain :( Yup I noticed more Zs than usual on your blog so I just had to brave it when I visited you :) My first dog was a German Shepherd. I adore them! Yay to Pinterest and to taking a break to recharge, Hope your neck gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible when that insomnia hits isn't it! I'm a bit hacked off about it all but I'll survive...I just like whining about it sometimes! The zombies I mentioned reading this week won't be reviewed for a few weeks yet-they are the Nicholas Sansbury Smith ones and I'm enjoying them!

      Delete
  2. Oh no I'm sorry you haven't been feeling good :( Heatwave sounds awful. Glad you managed to get a lot of reading done, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate summer! *stamps foot and grumps* I can never sleep or do anything except sloth around in this heat! I'm surprised that my reading hasn't been affected but pleased!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of summer, either. I'm trying to study and just... uughhh. Hope the next week is cooler for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine trying to study in this weather...ugh! You have my sympathy and I wish you good luck with your exams!

      Delete
  4. Heatwaves suck and add that to your neck issues and I bet you are miserable. The pups and I hope you feel better soon. I see you're adding some Hunter Shea books to your pile. Probably a good move and I can't wait to read Just Add Water next month. I need to learn more about Apollo. He sounds adorable. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and take care and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckles is feeling a bit grumpy that's for sure! I plan to be grabbing more Hunter Shea books over the summer...Apollo is a smart and cute military dog. Thankfully he isn't being sent out on dangerous missions yet. He's made the cover of book four!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that you got some great reading done, but sorry to hear that you've been having such a hard time with insomnia. I suffer from it too and it can be maddening. I hope your neck starts to feel better soon, that sounds really painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible when you are so tired but you just can't get to sleep. You really have my sympathy...you are dealing with way more than your share of health issues. Hope you have a better week *hugs*

      Delete
  6. The weather has been something else hasn't it, I have been waiting all day for the forecast thunder and lightning but nothing yet. I'd rather have snow than this heat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got three rumbles of thunder last night, one short rain shower and it made no difference to the heat! I prefer the snow as well-this is miserable!

      Delete
  7. Nice variety this week - with a coloring book too ;-)
    In San Francisco the summer weather has kicked in as well with cold and foggy days - quite the opposite of what is expected of California weather in general. The warm/hot weather here is usually during autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go with a bit of cold and foggy right now! It's another hot day today and I'm wilting!

      Delete
  8. I am sorry to hear that you aren't sleeping well and have hurt your neck. I hope you feel better soon. I have to say that I love that Cookie Monster shirt. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why Steve Austin is wresting the Cookie Monster but I couldn't resist buying it anyway!

      Delete
  9. I spent some time this week rereading the omnibus with the first three Bigfoot Wars books in it. Now I'm starting on more of them. I had fun with Ray's Ravenous and Nids books. And I see you've got some of Hunter Shea's books. He just released a couple new ones I grabbed!
    Have you read Mark Wheaton's Bones series. It's about a dog connecting with different groups of people during some different apocalyptic events. It's really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to get Bones but can't get it at all. It just isn't available even on Amazon over here which is frustrating when I want to read it! Well you can get it but I'm not paying over £30 for the paperback omnibus!

      Delete
  10. Broke this up into two comments. I feel for you about the insomnia. I have trouble sleeping because of back spasms and restless legs syndrome. Trying some natural remedies that seem to help some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restless leg is the bane of my life! I drink a glass or two of bitter lemon every day...the quinene stops the restless leg starting most nights but if I do get it asprin gets rid of it quickly.

      Delete
  11. I also get hit with bouts of insomnia. I can't imagine being sweltering hot in a heatwave on top of not being able to sleep, must be frustrating. Liking the look of your new books this week though, The Jersey Devil caught my eye. That's a topic I love!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a good monster book and I love the cover of the Jersey Devil!

      Delete
  12. Yeah Amazon packages are the best. :) Glad you had a good week. I love the look of those Game of Thrones books, and Loch Ness Revenge- awesome cover! Love it!

    They Rise looks kinda awesome too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I has to have a bit of Nessie there. I still hope to get to Loch Ness some day! I can't believe I still haven't been! The Game of Thrones behind the scenes books are gorgeous. I'm still trying to decide what to use all the journals for!

      Delete
  13. Oh no, sorry about your neck. Hopefully you'll feel better soon. About the heat though, do you not use AC?

    Haha, yes, getting boxes of new books is always great! I haven't bought any physical books lately, so no exciting packages for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. British houses aren't fitted with AC as we don't have the kind of weather to make it cost effective. If you want it you need to buy it and these things can create expensive bills! We just can't afford it!

      Delete
  14. Oooo I definitely loved some Hunter Shea and always want more. You have some other great looking books I hope you enjoy.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Swamp Monster Massacre, my first Hunter Shea book so I just have to go and buy them all now. How tragic! I hope to get a few read over the summer as they are pretty short reads. Looking forward to it!

      Delete