Saturday, 6 May 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
 This has not been a greatly productive week on the blogging side of thing. The week got off to a bad start of Monday when the spider monster from hell was spotted in the hall and I freaked out. The damn thing was HUGE, about an inch and a half across. I had the shakes all afternoon because of it. I can deal with the smaller ones if I grit my teeth and they are readily placed in the sink but I couldn't go near this monster. *shudders* I slept ok all week but felt very sluggish every morning and it's taking me a while to get moving each day. Thanks to that, I've not had as much time to blog this week as I wanted to though I've tried to visit blogs and keep up to date on comments on my blog. I've also been distracted by the council elections in the UK on Thursday. I'm a political animal, me!

I've done fine with my reading this week which is good, getting a decent amount done. I've received all of my ordered Amazon books which was good so now I need to try not to buy anything for a week or two! Yeah like THAT is likely! I don't drink, smoke, gamble or shop for the popular girlie stuff so books are where I spend my money! Lots of interesting sounding political books on the haul this week. Hope to get all of them read next month as that is when our General election is. I'm kind of in a non fiction mood at the moment so getting on with that should be productive! More on all that in my blogging section later!

DOWNLOADS:



PAPERBACKS:



Chuckles Blogging World:

As I said in my main thoughts for the week, blogging was a bit of a struggle through the week. Despite not really doing anything else except a pile of ironing, I felt as if I was running way behind on everything and had no time. It's annoying but it does happen and I hope things are better this coming week! Click on the link provided to go to each blog post if you missed it during the week and feel free to stop by and leave a comment!

Book Reviews: 
 I couldn't seem to find the time to sit and write book reviews which is annoying with so many still to write! I did provide some Retro Reads where I look at previously read and reviewed books from the blog and share them again for the benefit of newer followers. I need to get a list of these written somewhere so I don't repeat anything I've just done...with my memory I need that extra help!

John Reece-World's End

Ricky Sides-Claws

Richard Laymon-In the Dark
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/chuckles-retro-reads-in-dark-by-richard.html 

Richard Laymon-One Rainy Night
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/chuckles-retro-reads-one-rainy-night-by.html 

Richard Laymon-After Midnight/Endless Night/Come Out Tonight
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/chuckles-retro-reads-after_5.html 

Regular Features: 

For those wondering about the political posts, I'm not sharing my thoughts on the parties or policies or talking actual politics. Instead I'm having a bit of fun by looking at the funny and embarrassing gaffes, the amusing stories and photo opportunities. All parties will be mocked!

Top Ten Tuesday-Ten Horror Covers that made me pick up the book
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/top-ten-tuesday.html 

Chuckles Cover Love-Conn Iggulden
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/chuckles-cover-love-23.html 

Chuckles Guide to the UK Election #2
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/chuckles-guide-to-uk-election-2.html 

Discussion Posts: 

With local elections in the UK last week, I thought it was timely to ask fellow bloggers if they vote, what election system they have and so on. In my continuing Game of Thrones posts I look at the main players amongst the staff at Winterfell and share all the rumours I've heard online about season seven.

Chuckles Chat-Do You Vote?
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/chuckles-chat-15-do-you-vote.html 

Game of Thrones Gossip-Winterfell
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/game-of-thrones-gossip-14-winterfell.html 

Game of Thrones-Season Seven Rumours
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/game-of-thrones-season-seven-rumours.html 

Book Challenge Updates: 

With the end of one month and start of the next I have a few update posts to share about Horror Month, Series Catch Ups and Non Fiction reads. Busy busy!

April Horror Month-The Verdict
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/april-horror-month-verdict.html 

Chuckles 2017 Series Read Challenge-1st Quarter Results
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/chuckles-2017-series-read-challenge-ist.html 

The Great Chuckles Spring Clearout-May
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-great-chuckles-spring-clearout-may.html 

Get 'Em 'Orf The Shelves!
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/get-em-orf-shelves-month.html 

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 107/250 which is good and I need to stay motivated to keep that up. Pleased with this week!

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 809. Not doing much to help myself get below 800. Stop buying books!!!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

20 comments:

  1. EEEK SPIDERS!! Sorry your week got off to a bad start! I'm not usually scared of spiders - unless they're massive and black and hairy - but it sounds like I'd be scared of the one you saw.

    Happy reading!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That set me off on a bad week I think...I HATE spiders so much. They scare me to death! This one was big, black and hairy so I think you might've run too!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your political reading! I did quite like reading Nick Clegg's autobiography about his time in the coalition -- almost made me warm to him again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like reading these political books...I like to know about the fighting and backstabbing behind the scenes!

      Delete
  3. I hate spiders so, so much. I hope you enjoy all your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If spiders looked like butterflies I'd be ok with them!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a very girly person but when I see big spiders in the house I squeal and run away...I make my spider assassin (husband) track them down and kill them. It's weird, I can see bugs outside and they don't bother me at all but the second they are inside the house they are instantly creepy. When I see one inside, I itchy all over for the rest of the day, thinking they are on me. I'm so weird. LOL

    I have to say, I am really intrigued by Dracula Vs. Hitler. lol! I will have to check that one out, for sure.

    Hope you have a great week, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get scared of spiders even if I see them in zoo cases or something. They just freak me out. I rarely sit in the garden as I have a think about beasties of all kinds coming to get me!

      I love the sound of a vampire nazi fight going on!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you had a very productive week. I live in the U.S. and I get so caught up with politics that I now need to take a break this week. It is so depressing here in Trumpland! But, I think they are counting on people getting fatigued over all the negative stuff, so I will have to engage sometime. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can fully understand the frustration of some US voters just now. For me Trump talks too much on Twitter and needs to work on diplomacy and being Presidential!

      Delete
  6. Of your new books, the only one I'm familiar with is Dracula vs. Hitler. It was a good book! Definitely not as cheesy as the "Versus" title makes it sound. I hope you enjoy!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading it! I think it might've been on your blog that I heard about it. My memory is so bad!

      Delete
  7. I spend more time on political stuff than is good for my sanity too lol. And spiders- ugh. they must die. Hope blogging goes better this week...

    Great job on your GR challenge! And love the GoT posts naturally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to stay up on current events so I can complain about it all! There are people in this country who have no idea who runs the country...some think Thatcher or Blair are still in charge which staggers me!

      I appreciate all your imput on the GoT posts!

      Delete
  8. Same here when it comes to purchases. Books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many books...erm...

      Delete
  9. I have a copy of Dracula v Hitler but don't know when I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Too many books and not enough time!

      Delete
  10. Spiders don't bother me but snakes are a major problem. Ok, big spiders might be a problem as well. I had a snake get into my office at work a couple of years ago and I found it coiled in the blinds. It was tiny but I almost quit my job because I couldn't settle down. Hopefully, no more spiders make it in your territory.

    Enjoy all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a close encounter with a sleeping cobra that scared me on holiday one year. I'm just glad it was having a snooze and never saw me. They don't bother me much but I could live happily without another encounter! I fully sympathize with your snake experience.

      Delete