Wednesday, 31 May 2017

Chuckles Chat #19 Publishing Dates

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week I'm going to look at publishing dates. And there may be ranting!

OK here we go. I always buy paperback books as hardbacks are often more than double the price and they take up too much space on my overflowing bookcases. I read in my bed, lying on my left side propped up on pillows so trying to hold a heavy hardback and turn pages is pretty awkward! All things considerd, I like the humble paperback. So it does kind of drive me nuts that I have to sometimes wait a YEAR to get the paperback version after the hardback release! A prime example is the Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series. Everyone is buying the hardback of book ten at the start of this year when I was only getting the newly released paperback of book nine! So unfair! I'm being picked on for not wanting hardbacks!!! I HATE having to wait so much longer to read the book! *stamps foot* I'm always happy when the option of paperback is there at the same time as hardback.

Then we have the ever changing publication date. I pre-order books quite often so they are sent to me when available and I don't have to remember to order them nearer the time.I get that some things can change but when I see the publishing date moving around like a jumping bean in the months leading to it arriving it can get annoying. Especially when the date keeps getting pushed back. I can't imagine what it has been like for Game of Thrones fans with the massive wait between each book and never knowing when it is going to be out! That would've driven me mad. I have only just started with the series this month and I hope that The Winds of Winter might be out by the time I catch up. Maybe...

On that Game of Thrones subject, I hate waiting for the next book in the series I'm following too. Who doesn't?!! We are an impatient breed and we want the book NOW, not in a year's time! We want authors to forget other projects and stop having a life to get our next book written! They should be chained to the computer until they get it done!!! How selfish are these authors to want to do things like eat, sleep, spend time with the family when we want the next book from them? *grins* Mainstream publishers seem to churn things out in 1-2 years each time (with the exception of short novellas which can be more frequent and are obviously there to appease our impatience). Or in the case of George RR Martin 5-7 years!!! Arrgghh! Now I'm one of the anxious waiters having come late to the party...

But the utter joy of following Indie authors is that they tend to be much quicker in getting the books churned out. Darrell Maloney is a good example of this. He has six apocalypse series that I'm following and every few months there seems to be a new book coming out in one of them which is great! Of course I'm way behind on actually reading the things but that's not the point! Frequent new shiny books to feed my addiction are the main thing! I shall worship at the Altar of the New Release! Yes, Indie authors can be great at getting those new releases out quicker and I have quite a few expected over the summer which is exciting.

Why is it that the books we most want seem to be so far away from coming? In October I ordered a paperback that I wanted to get on its release and it has felt like an unbearable age for the date to arrive. I'm not a patience kind of girl y'know? Why do we need to wait so long to read the same words in a different binding??? The joy of realising that it is going to arrive TOMORROW has me so excited now!!! Sometimes it can be good to discover a great new series AFTER all the books have been published and you can then just binge read at your leisure to catch up. That's what I'm doing with the Morganville Vampires series and a few other urban fantasy series. At least I won't have to wait for the next one. I often see the ebook becoming available ahead of the paperback which sets my teeth on edge. Just give me my books NOW!!!

Do you hate waiting for the next book in a series you love? Does the gap between hardback and paperback releases bug you or are you a hardback buyer? Do publishing dates frustrate you? Do you think The Winds of Winter is EVER going to be published???

8 comments:

  1. Lol, I feel your pain (literal pain. Holding hardbacks in bed is murder on the wrists). The long wait between hardback and paperback has to do with money. Publishers can charge more for hardbacks, so they force as many impatient people as possible to buy them. Traditional publishing seems to operate in an alternate universe where time is different. Everything takes so long! I have 0 faith that George RR Martin will ever finish his series. That’s why I haven’t started reading the books yet.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know why publishers hold back the release but it just annoys me so much! Hardbacks just don't appeal to me at all. George RR Martin operates in his own universe when it comes to publishing dates for sure!

      Delete
  2. Great points Chuckles. I really mainly buy hardbacks if they are from one of my faves and I have many of the authors other works. Case in point - Stephen King and Joe Hill. There is no way I can wait for their books to come out in paperback. On the plus side, their releases usually come around the holidays or birthdays so they are great gifts for Mr. Barb to get me, and he usually does. Like you, I hate waiting for the next book in series I am in love with. I'm lucky that I can usually get them from my library if they come out and hardback and I don't need to own them. I end up buying Kindle Books a lot and "feeding" Paul Anka because I can usually get books from my wishlist as daily deals sometimes or at least cheaper. I'm loving this discussion feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no patience for waiting for the books to come out. The irony is that when I receive these long awaited reads, I rarely dive into the new ones! I'm weird I know...I think the average book sits for a year on my shelf before I read it so for me, hardbacks would be pointless in that sense! The cheap books for the ereader can kill a tbr!

      Delete
  3. I hate waiting for paperbacks too. I mean I do occasionally buy a hardcover but they are way more expensive, and I like paperbacks a rule. So yeah.

    Welcome to the GRRM waiting game! We're used to it by now... I think the indie authors are hungrier in some ways, and they're writing all the time, where someone like Martin has been around forever, he has fame, and let's face it he knows his editors/ publisher will not lean on him TOO hard because he's like amazingly lucrative. So he's got that cushion. I mean the first three books came out at like 2 year intervals, so he CAN do it if he want sto...

    Do I think Winds of Winter will be published? I do although I'm starting to doubt it more and more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only hardcovers I have are those I picked up in charity shops cheap, where buying it new as a paperback was much more expensive. Or if I buy second hand political books from Amazon. The publishers of GRRM must be gritting their teeth and thinking 'get a move on!' so they can make more money!!! I think Winds of Winter will come in the next year but I'm very worried about the next book. I don't suppose he'll be releasing both together as a surprise...

      Delete
  4. Haha, as an old fan of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' who had to wait ages for 'A Dance with Dragons'... I feel you! I am constantly waiting for sequels. I got used to it though and the fact that it's so many, makes it better because the wait is never that long. I am normally patient and like looking forward to books I am almost sure will be great. I only get annoyed if the book ends with an annoying cliffhanger.

    Winds of Winter.. I joke about it, but I will never give up hope :D It will come out, eventually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I moan so much about waiting for these books TBH as I take ages to read them when I get them AND I do have about 800 physical and ereader books to choose my next read from! *giggles*

      I just want to see Winds of Winter coming out so I know he's working on the next one!

      Delete