Thursday, 18 May 2017

Chuckles Chat #17 Gifs

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week. I'm talking about Gifs.

I'm just going to say it outright...I HATE gifs! I find them very annoying and distracting when I'm trying to visit blogs and places like Goodreads. You see when I go to a review or blog post, I want to read the words that the person has put into it, see what their thoughts are and then comment on it. Interaction, y'know? Maybe a nice photo or image if the text is long? It kind of drives me nuts when I have to scroll past a gif that is pulling a dumb face to get to every new paragraph! I just don't find the things interesting and from a personal point of view I think they detract from a post rather than enhance it.

Take Goodreads for example. I was trying to read some reviews on a book that I was thinking about trying. I like to browse the negative reviews as they tend to have more info about pacing, tropes, the type of MC we have etc. But I was distracted by the review at the top of the list which had twenty five gifs on it! 25!!! All of these were face pulling people yelling awesome, OMG, and other similar things and between them were only a couple of lines of text each time. I looked at it out of annoyed curiosity and at the end I still had no idea what the book was like! There are some genres that just seem to attract posts with multiple flashing and screaming gifs and I just never look at them now.

It's the same with blog posts. Now, I agree that everyone should design their blogs in whatever way they want and I'll never be critical of anyone who enjoys gifs and wants to put them all over the blog. It's your blog and you have the total right to do it your way. Seriously there is nothing worse than some blog visitor coming by who starts moaning that they hate something in your design-I feel that is so rude! However, I just personally don't enjoy posts with multiple gifs on it so I'm less likely to follow those blogs or read those posts. It's just a personal thing. Gifs make a post long if a lot are used. I have a poor memory so I have to check out the text a lot in a post to remind me what was said so I can fully comment and having to scroll constantly up and down a page past a ton of gifs just bugs me!

Basically I can put up with the very odd gif on posts or reviews of friends if I otherwise enjoy their content but I do avoid these multiple gif posts and reviews. If every blog post has a ton of gifs I'm likely not to follow the person. It's not meant as a slight against the person or their choices, it's just that I have limited time and want to visit posts that interest me on blogs I enjoy, rather than plough through content I don't greatly like. I don't greatly enjoy seeing actresses looking like guppy impersonators croaking out awesome over and over on a page!

What do you think of gifs? Do you use them? Why do you use them? Do you love or hate them? How do you feel about multiple gif posts? Are there some kinds of gifs that bug you? Do you follow blogs with multiple gif usage? Do you prefer still images or gifs?

20 comments:

  1. YEEEEESSSSSS. I hate gifs too because they're distracting and it's already hard for me to concentrate but also because they make posts longer and I too have bad memory and have to scroll back to the post a lot to comment and I can't do all that damn scrolling with my tennis elbow. But like you, I don't tell other people what they should or shouldn't do. If they wanna use gifs, that's totally their choice. I usually dint bother to actually look at the gifs though and don't usually read those reviews on GR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can certainly be time consuming to avoid the gifs and find the text on the page especially when it is overloaded! I can understand the problems your tennis elbow causes here. I get it occasionally but I'm lucky that I can take anti inflammatory gels and pills to clear it up quickly.

      Delete
  2. I can't ever remember using them in reviews. I like my reviews to be straightforward and know the ones you're talking about - they can be very distracting. The only time I use them on my blog is usually when I'm doing Top Ten lists and the covers of books aren't really working. Even then, I don't use them for every number. Just randomly here and there. I don't mind them from time to time but feel they can be overused. Wonderful topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm a straightforward kind of person I guess! I like graphics as much as the next person but I just don't like gifs. It would drive me crazy seeing a daft face pull every time I look at a blog! I don't mind the odd one here and there but some people go a bit overboard with them for my taste!

      Delete
  3. haha as soon as I saw the topic I knew you were going to say you hated them. I'm not sure why. I'm not a huge fan of them either, to be honest. I find them a little more acceptable on Goodreads(as long as there isn't 25!! What the heck?!?! lol), but I don't really like them in blog posts. One or two is fine but if the whole review is gifs then I usually skip over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very predictable, I know! I'm not really a modern child! I like reviews that are easy to read whether on blog or Goodreads, maybe with a nice graphic. I don't even mind a gif with a point to it but I see so many that are just people pulling faces and screaming over and over. Ugh!

      Delete
  4. lol! you always crack me up. Glad to find another gif hater sista! :) I tried them. nuh huh! not for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modern world of gadgets and gif kind of things isn't really for me! I'm a simple kind of girl! *grins*

      Delete
  5. I don’t think I’ve ever used a gif, but I do use photos and memes. Not usually in reviews, though. I like my reviews to be straightforward and fairly serious. My computer is old, so posts with a lot of gifs and graphics tend to make it really slow. If a post is taking too long to load, I get irritated and move on.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it must be a nightmare to load a page that is covered in all that kind of stuff. I remember what my old computer was like. Patience is not my strong point so I'd be cursing and yelling at it daily and driving my dad nuts!

      Delete
  6. 25 is incredibly excessive! I have mixed feelings regarding gifs. I use them every once in a while on Goodreads but I can't remember the last time I put one on my blog. I used to use them more but I hate looking for something appropriate so I stopped. Reviews on Goodreads with gifs tend to be popular so people will use them. I guess I don't mind them if it is just a couple but I rarely use any myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I liked the things I certainly wouldn't have time to go hunting them down! Time is limited enough to me at the moment!

      Delete
  7. I'm guilty of once in a great while using gifs in a review. Usually it's to show what I'm describing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the odd one on a review doesn't bother me though I admit I never look at the things, just scroll past them. Nothing wrong with using them for a purpose or liking them...I'm just grumpy Chuckles!

      Delete
  8. One or two I'm generally okay with, but it's the "wall of gifs" reviews that really get on my nerves. Some of them are clever, I'll give them that, but most of time I just wish the reviewers had used their words. As long as they're having fun though, I just leave them to it, though I will most likely skip the review.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wall of Gifs...that's the perfect description! I certainly find it simpler to just skip those reviews and read a text one instead as it is the words of the blogger/reviewer that I really want to see.

      Delete
  9. I'm ambivalent about GIF's. I think when they're over used they're super annoying but the occasional one thrown into a review or whatever I don't really mind. I do tend to avoid the blogs that are all GIF's all the time though! I will say that they can be distracting, especially if you like you said someone is making a weird face or somethig, and I'm trying to read the text!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those weird face ones! It makes me want to headbut the computer!

      Delete
  10. I tend to dislike gif's too, but I've seen some reviewers who used them well. Mostly they write a paragraph of text and then one gif to illustrate their point. So they can be done well, but I've also seen the gif's only reviews on goodreads and that's a bit too much.
    Like Greg said, I mostly find them a bit distracting as my attention keeps getting pulled to the moving gif rather than the text I am trying to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the trick isn't it, using them well. I see a lot of posts that start with 'here's how the book made me feel' followed by five gifs with different cheering people. I'm wondering why five are necessary to make the point y'know?

      Delete