Tuesday, 11 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

TTT this week is Top Ten Unique Books so what I'm doing within that is Ten Books with Unlikely Heroes! This is something I like to see in books instead of just whiny instaluv teenagers all the time. Are you looking for something different in your heroes too? These heroes are pensioners, single parents and child prodigies!

1) Robert Boren-Bug Out! 
A group of people in RV's are on the run from terrorists, psycho militias and islamic extremists as they seek a way to win back their country. The MCs in this book are mainly in their sixties and seventies, a mixture of ex military and civilians who have to use their brains and skills to outwit the enemy. If you can overlook editing errors this is a great series with tons of twists.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23651819-bug-out-part-1 

2) CE Murphy-Urban Shaman
Joanne is a police mechanic with newly discovered shaman powers and is going to take on the escaped Wild Hunt and save the world. But her partner in crime is an elderly unfit cab driver called Gary and I just loved his character! How often in UF do you get an OAP as a hero? The interaction between Gary and Joanne are great as he proves to be her voice of reason!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/297929.Urban_Shaman    

3) James Todd Cochrane-Max and the Gatekeeper 
Max doesn't want to spend the summer with Grandpa Joe but things liven up with creepy chanting people and bullies with magic powers. His destiny is to be like Joe, the Gatekeeper who guards the way to other worlds and now he makes contacts and learns magic like Grandpa. Action, adventure and magic in a Stargate style book for all ages. Love Grandpa Joe!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2801440-max-and-the-gatekeeper 

4) William L Stuart-The Carnelian 
A family free an elf from a stone and become involved in an elf war and a hunt for special gemstones. What I like about this is that it is the two kids and their grandparents who are the stars of the book, complete with Nana and her dodgy back! Interesting plot and range of characters with some mythology thrown in.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15838579-the-gemstone-chronicles-book-one 

5) Eli Constant-Dead Trees  
Humanoid cannibal creatures are stalking the living every night and widowed Elise must get to a safe place with her two young daughters. Safety becomes Eoin Colfer-Artemis Fowlmuch harder when the beasties evolve and become smarter and deadlier. Great zombie style horror novel.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17274511-dead-trees

6) Grace Hamilton-Dark Retreat
In the aftermath of the apocalypse, Megan is trying to find a safe place for her daughter. When Caitlin starts to become ill, Megan is forced to risk human contact by looking for medicine at a nearby lodge. I haven't read this one but I like the sound of it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34201883-dark-retreat 

7) Joseph Talluto-White Flag of the Dead
When the apocalypse kills John's wife he has to protect his baby son as they start a dangerous journey to a safer place, dodging zombies and psycho humans. It made a nice change to see a single father as the hero who tries to lead a group of survivors and turn them into a community.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11071325-white-flag-of-the-dead 

8) Mark Walden-H.I.V.E
Otto turns to crime to save his children's home but is kidnapped and sent to a school for criminal mastermind children to teach them to be the evil geniuses of tomorrow. But Otto and his friends want to escape and will use that training to do it. High action and humour, this is a good adventure series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12316194-h-i-v-e  

9) Eoin Colfer-Artemis Fowl
Artemis is a child genius and super criminal who decides to kidnap a fairy to get fairy gold to use to ransom his missing father. But when he kidnaps a fairy cop, the full police resources are coming to get him. Great characters, action and humour for readers of all ages!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/249747.Artemis_Fowl 

10) L Wilt-James Potter and The Bolt of Ages
Lets finish with something different and some Harry Potter fan fiction! This was the story of James and Sirius and the gang in their first year at Hogwarts. It has action and humour and stays true to JK Rowling's world. I really liked this!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13509032-james-potter-and-the-bolt-of-ages 

16 comments:

  1. I've always meant to read that C.E. Murphy series. Years ago I read The Old Races trilogy by her and really liked it. Since you mentioned it, I tend to find characters who are elderly in books refreshing from time to time. In "The Night the Lights Went Out" Sugar, who was 95, was my favorite. I also really liked the Grandpa character in The Jersey Devil by Hunter Shea. I love you list and it's a great spin on today's topic - as you could see, I could not really come up with 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still only read the first Urban Shaman book...have the rest of the series sitting waiting for me when I finally get round to all these books. And Gary seems to get his own book later which is great! I like having different kinds of heroes sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Awesome idea for a list this week, Chuckles! I'll have to look into some of those books with the older male leads. I read one by Brian Keene (Conquerer Worms, maybe?) where the hero was an old grumpy guy and I absolutely LOVED him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grumpy old men feature a lot in these prepper and apocalypse books I enjoy. I like that better than angst filled teenagers!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these books but H.I.V.E and Urban Shaman sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HIVE was good fun in an Artemis Fowl kind of way. The kids characters were a good group with different skills and it had lots of action and humour.

      Delete
  4. Wow some of these sound really good. I like that the protags in Bug Out are older, that's a new one. And Urban shaman and The Carnelian both sound promising too. Elf war and great characters sound pretty good!

    Maybe Dead Trees too. Not only do I love that title, but it sounds scary too. I kinda want that one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead Trees has the same format as a zombie novel but the beasties are a bit different from zombies. I really liked that book! Having men in their 70's as heroes in a fight against terrorists was a lot of fun in the Bug Out series!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh I love the sound of James Potter and The Bolt of Ages! I'm a giant Harry Potter nerd so this is definitely one for me. lol! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was great fan fiction! I so much want her to write more of them!

      Delete
  6. And I've not read any of those books! Crazy. But they all have great points that make me want to look into them. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, I'm on a mission to load the tbrs of other readers to make myself feel better!

      Delete
  7. I love an unlikely hero. I think I have Artimes Fowl around here somewhere. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read the first four Artemis Fowl books but for some reason never completed the series. Need to finish it at some point.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, some of these sound awesome -- I do enjoy an unlikely hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes a nice change from the usual hero or heroine and I like that!

      Delete