Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads: Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding (Dreg City #1)


They’ll never see her coming. . . .

When Evangeline Stone wakes up naked and bruised on a cold slab at the morgue—in a stranger’s body, with no memory of who she is and how she got there—her troubles are only just beginning. Before that night she and the two other members of her Triad were the city’s star bounty hunters, mercilessly cleansing the city of the murderous creatures living in the shadows, from vampires to shape-shifters to trolls. Then something terrible happened that not only cost all three of them their lives but also convinced the city’s other Hunters that Evy was a traitor—and she can’t even remember what it was.

Now she’s a fugitive, piecing together her memory, trying to deal some serious justice—and discovering that she has only three days to solve her own murder before the reincarnation spell wears off. Because in three days Evy will die again—but this time there’s no second chance. . . .


My Review:
Evie is a Hunter who keeps the supernatural creatures from harming humans. So when her team is attacked, she is stunned to be set up for their murder, hunted down by other Hunter teams and ends up murdered. So she wakes up in the morgue in the body of another girl with no memory of how she died. Now Evie has 3 days of this resurrection spell to find out who set her up, who had her killed and why she has been brought back. The Hunters are still chasing her, the supernatural creatures also want her dead and she has no idea who to trust...

Brilliant book! Evie is a tough resilient girl who kicks supernatural ass for a living. Now she is stuck in the body of a girl without all that training and those limitations hinder her ability to fight the way she wants to. It is difficult for her to be in this situation over which she has less control than she is used to. She needs to find answers but it is not a slow moving plot like some UF books. She is on the go the whole time, trying to avoid her former team, seeking help from the monster underworld and relying on the dead girl's friend to help her.

The character development is good. I liked Evie as I enjoy a strong female MC but the idea of taking her skills away with her being in the wrong body is an interesting twist which makes her think more about how she can deal with things. The fact that there is a time limit on this borrowed body means that the tension is always high and the plot is fast moving. I could have been happy without the romance element but I didn't feel that it overshadowed the plot so I was ok with it in general terms.

There are plenty of supernatural monsters in the book to keep most fans happy. Vampires, bridge trolls, fey, goblins, elves, gargoyles to name a few and I enjoyed seeing all these creatures in one book. No wonder they call it Dreg City! The plot has twists and there are certainly a few surprises along the way that I didn't see coming. I think everything I could want in a UF book is here.

This was a great debut book and I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next. I have the rest of the series waiting for my attention!  
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

10 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one. Once again, I'm pretty sure it's on my shelves somewhere. I hope when I finally get things organized I can figure out what's there and what's not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to lose books in the ereader! I'm looking for something else on it and say 'forgot I had that' then lose it again...

      Delete
  2. This sounds fantastic. Love the idea of her waking up in the wrong body- and that she was betrayed by her own people. To have the fighting skills but not the right body would be frustrating. I may have to get this as I'm always looking for good urban fantasy but I can be picky. :)

    Gargoyles too! And monster hunters. I seriously need to give this a look... and not just for the cover ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the trolls and gargoyles...they were fun! Loved the first book but somehow never got to read the rest of the series. I hope to catch up with this during the summer...

      Delete
  3. This is another series I've worked to get the books so I can read them, and have the prints on my shelf. I think I have them all just need to get back to the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first book but hope to catch up this summer. I hope it keeps the standard up! Might have to reread this one first...

      Delete
  4. Well, I'd hate to be in someone elses body, but it's better than nothing. I'm thinking I might have this one too. Need to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to be stuck in the body of a nice fit person long enough to finish decorating the house, and getting the garden sorted!

      Delete
  5. Love the title and cover. I love the supernatural and after reading your review, I think I'll check this out.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete