Monday, 3 April 2017

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up


I review everything I read, on my blog and on Goodreads. Most reviews are of a decent length but sometimes you don't have much to say about the book because of its length or you DNFed it or various other reasons. In cases like that it makes sense to write a few mini reviews in one post and clear them out your way! So lets catch up with these reviews from January this year.

Ella Summers-Magic Edge 
Alex is a dragon born mage who conceals her power to keep herself safe, and is a paranormal vigilante. Someone is stealing fairy orbs to use against the magical community and she must reluctantly work with an assassin to solve the crime.

Alex is as dumb as it gets. Instead of stealthy investigation she starts interrogating the barman about their orb. Despite the drink she was given by the nervous man tasting different from usual, she scoffs it down and ends up drugged while the orb theft takes place. Clever. She is saved by the assassin Logan who wants them to work together on the case. Alex herself drove me nuts. She seems to have a high opinion of herself when frankly, she is very good at her job as her capture suggests. She is rude and bitchy to the person who saves her life, bitching and snarling at him like a spoiled brat. Her smart arse attitude gets old very quick for me. Then we have the repetition. It's either the 'I have a secret' over and over or it is how hot Logan is but she hates him really. I found it annoying and I really hated the continual angst she displays to him all the way through. Quite why he or anyone else wants to work with or hire this whiny idiot is beyond me! 

Read January 2017.  
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

PA Douglas-Epidemic of the Undead 
Chris, his cousin and best friend are in a folk band and arrive in town for a cancelled gig just as the zombie apocalypse starts around them. Now they need supplies, a plan and an escape from the town.

This was not the type of zombie book I enjoy mainly due to dumb obnoxious characters running around like headless chickens. They run out the coffee shop towards the car and zombies attack Mark so they instead then run to the gas station to grab supplies. Stephanie and Chris are moving quietly inside the gas station when Steve decide to scoff a can of juice and a sandwich, slamming doors and caring little about his dead friend Mark or keeping quiet to hide from zombies. Steve also finds it funny when Chris pukes after seeing a chewed body. Can I say how much I hate Steve? Then instead of getting to the car and out of town, Chris decides he needs to go and kill Mark first. Stephanie now finds it funny that Mark was a vegetarian. Why is wrong with these utter morons? Complete idiot characters that all need to die and I hate that in a book.  

Read January 2017.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

Pippa DaCosta-Wings of Hope 
Muse is half elemental and half human, prisoner and slave of a cruel master in a demon realm, that she keeps failing to escape from. When the Prince of Greed buys her for a few days, she expects similar treatment but he starts to tell her about other places he visited where her human side could live and starts giving her the tools and will to break free from her master.

It is a grim and dark tale where Muse starts to feel hope only to have it continually taken from her but she begins to believe that it is time to get a different kind of life, and her freedom which will not come easy. She starts to find strength and skills that she was too broken to discover before. I liked her character and was intrigued by the story. I wasn't greatly keen on the Prince or her master but I was liking the way it was written. I had planned to read on with the series following her new human life but when I saw the usual tropes of whiny MC and love triangle coming in book one, I decided to give it a miss. 

Read January 2017. 
2.5 star.

Pippa DaCosta-Girl From Above
Jin wanted Francisca dead for stealing trade from his friends and sent Caleb to do it. Now Caleb and Francisca have ended up locked up together and reluctantly working to find a way out.

As a story it was ok and there was nothing wrong with the writing or anything. I just didn't like any of the characters I'm afraid. Both of the MCs were looking for a way to betray the other to get a deal of some kind with Jin so each could escape. The constant sniping between the two of them annoyed me and I felt they should have been more cooperative with each other to escape instead of wasting time being smart asses with each other. The thought of that angst through a whole series put me ioff reading anything else with these characters. Not for me.  

Read January 2017.  
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

MD Massey-Druid Blood (Junkyard Druid #0.5) 
Things are going great for Colin. He's the star of his high school baseball team, he has a killer motorcycle, and his mom's career as an artist is finally taking off. Then, a chance encounter with a leprechaun reveals that nothing in his world is as it seems...

When Colin crashes his bike into a leprechaun, it breaks the glamour on Colin so he sees that the town is actually a ruin and he is still the loser he once was. An evil vampire has created the illusion to let people enjoy life so he can feed on their misery when he chooses to collapse it all. Colin, his best friend Jesse and a Gandalf style mentor are the only hope the town has to defeat the vampire. I liked the characters and though it was a simple story, it was well written and I would consider reading on to discover what Colin does in other adventures.
Sadly the next book seems to be unavailable and reviews suggest it should be read before book one Junkyard Druid-so this is disappointing.
Read January 2017. 
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

RL Blalock-The Darkest Days (Death & Decay #0.5) 
To protect and serve. The motto that every officer is taught from their first day in the academy. On a humid June day in St. Louis, it is a motto that could get Officer Wyatt Ward killed. Desperate citizens flock to the station as the officers of the Cottleville Police Department struggle to handle the chaos that is enveloping a city already shaken by rioting. But as darkness descends something much worse is rising. The deranged. Brutal, unforgiving, single-minded monsters that were once the citizens Wyatt was sworn to protect. Now, they attack. They bite. They infect.

As fear takes hold…As the city begins to eat itself…As the world crumbles…What is a man who is sworn to protect to do as the world dies?


Officer Wyatt Ward is getting alarmed by the number of radio calls about violent incidents and calls for help by fellow officers. But while answering a call they are all told to return to the station where a large anxious crowd are gathered, seeking sanctuary. But then the screams begin as the zombies start attacking and turning the crowd...

This was a well written zombie story by an author who was new to me. It covers the utter panic as the zombies start attacking the crowd and a handful of officers try to shoot the zombies and get the panicking people into the station itself. However, not enough checks are done on the civilians and all hell is ready to break loose. It was a tense story and I very much liked the MC. Don't want to say too much about it but I am curious about what happens in the main series and already have a copy of book one. 

Read January 2017. 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

12 comments:

  1. Hey! Glad to see a 4 star book on there for you! It stinks to read lots of lower rating ones in a row. That usually sends me in to a bit of a reading slump. Hope you have a great week, and enjoy your next read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the last mini reviews for January though I have a few books from the month that are to get a longer review. Hope to be done with that by next week. Most of my reading since January has been good.

      Delete
  2. Bummer that Magic Edge kinda sucked. The drink thing would have me rolling my eyes. Um it tastes different and this is a magical world- eh I'll just keep drinking it. Like you said, clever lol.

    Now The Darkest Days... THAT looks pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate books that claim the heroine is kick ass when she turns out just to be a dumb ass! I liked Darkest Days as a short story-curious about what the series is like now so will certainly try it!

      Delete
  3. I have only read one Pippa DeCosta book and thought it was just okay. I haven't tried either of these books yet and I am not in a rush either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them through the author newsletters you need to sign up to to enter the multi-book giveaways. Wings of hope was ok to read but reviews of the next book in the series didn't appeal to me!

      Delete
  4. yup I think because I'm in this contemporary, middle grade phase I'm I would have picked any of these books. I'm glad I didn't :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the books were decent reads...the rest not so much...

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these. How do you find all of these books?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of recs on Amazon for zombie and apocalypse books, and I do searches for free UF, horror, zombies and preppers etc. Don't get many from the searches though. Sites like instafreebie are good for prequels and free books in all genres as are offers from author newsletters. Bookbub also delivers daily deals to my email in my fave genres (free and cheap) and I use things like Smashwords sometimes. I always manage to find something new to tempt me!

      Delete
    2. I always forget about Smashwords. I think it's because they don't send me emails to job my bad memory ;)

      Delete
    3. My memory is pretty bad too...I'm amazed I can remember which books I've already bought!

      Delete