Friday, 10 March 2017

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up


I review everything I read, on my blog and on Goodreads. Most reviews are of a decent length but sometimes you don't have much to say about the book because of its length or you DNFed it or various other reasons. In cases like that it makes sense to write a few mini reviews in one post and clear them out your way! So lets catch up with these reviews from last year.

Sam Sisavath-The Purge of Babylon
Will and Danny are SWAT team members who spend all their time telling crude jokes and making noise before entering the target room. Inside they watch all but one team member getting ripped apart by vampire ghouls and as they carry an injured teammate down the stairs while being chased, they are still joking and laughing. WTF is that all about? Total disrespect to their fallen colleagues! They can't work out why crosses are effective weapons against the momsters either. Doh! Then we have dumb Kate who runs to aid a dying colleague as she leaves her office. He tells her countless times to hide back in the office but instead she just hangs about, getting covered in his blood, then drives endlessly around the levels of the garage, attracting more creatures to her car engine and hoping, in her own words that if she does it often enough the cars blocking the exit might vanish. Seriously the characters in this book all need to be eaten, it was dreadful!  
Read January 2017.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

Albert Yates-The Dead Rising
The world has become a different place since Henry woke up this morning and decided to go for a run on his treadmill. His neighbour seems to be acting strange, no one is working at the radio station, and the 911 operator rushed him off the phone when he called. What happened to his town while he was sleeping and will Henry be able to survive the dangers that lie outside of his house?

Henry is so annoying. He starts by moaning about his neighbour Jacob who wandered into his living room one day for a chat while Henry was in the shower. Then locks your doors so he can't invite himself in! It's not rocket science!!! Despite hating his job at the school, he is still brooding over the kids getting him sacked. And then the zombies come. To say that Henry is dumb is putting it mildly. The police are trying to tell him about staying indoors and giving him safety instructions, all of which he is ignoring, along with the somewhat obvious signs that there are zombies next door! He just kept doing really dumb stuff and getting on my nerves.

There is nothing much to like or root for in Henry. There is so much tell and the show that we do get is dull, lacking in tension and uninteresting. I didn't find anything much to make me want to finish this one.

Read January 2017.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

AR Shaw-The China Pandemic
Graham is the only one in his family who is immune and after burying his family he is left to look after Bang, the child of a dead neighbour, trying to stay alive and get out of the city to a safer place.

I simply cannot deal with whiny kids in the apocalypse. I get he lost his mother but he is disobeying her by trying to run away, attracting feral dogs, and generally being a bloody pain. We join after the apocalypse so we don't get the terror and drama of the outbreak, which I love, instead we join a bleak landscape with virtually no sign of survivors. I didn't much want to follow Graham and his whining companion on a road trip. I just found the whole thing grim, dull and boring and DNFed it.
Read January 2017.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

Morgan Nyberg-The Fixer
The Fixer, a novella, chronicles the year leading up to the global collapse upon which The Raincoast Saga is based. A man who works for a powerful investment firm travels the world attempting to fix financial problems. In the process he is caught up in a relentless downward spiral toward the death of civilization. 

I honestly wish I'd ignored the novella and went straight to book one because I found this gradual deterioration in the world order mind numbingly boring and dull. Smith is a rude and obnoxious man to everyone he meets and is throwing his weight around everywhere he goes. I really don't like the guy. He keeps trying to fix the impossible and risking his life on planes that run on tainted fuel and nearly crash, instead of telling his psycho employer to take a hike which would be deserved. Definitely not for me this one.
Read January 2017.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

8 comments:

  1. I really like the cover of The China Pandemic - too bad it wasn't a better book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me of what I read of The Road and that's why I DNF'd it! That book was grim and depressing too! Ooh that gives me a TTT topic...popular books I didn't like!

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't end up enjoying any of these ones. I have only had to DNF one book since the beginning of the year so far, and that's because I don't read books that include detailed rape scenes. Can't do it. I try my best to finish all books I start but it doesn't always happen. Great mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I think a few similar posts will follow coz I DNF'd a lot early this year! That's the thing with these Indie books-you do have to plough through a lot you don't like to find the real gems...

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, your mini reviews are the length of most of my regular reviews! I'm so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a big mouth though so generally have plenty to say...*grins*

      Delete
  4. LOL about Purge of Babylon, why ARE characters so stupid in some of these stories?? Bummer about The China Pandemic too- I kinda like that cover (and the idea of an outbreak in china).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think flirting with stupid girls also comes later in the story, according to reviews but thankfully I didn't suffer that far...jeez I hate idiot characters! For the China Pandemic if you like the grim futuristic road trip kind of thing set well after the apocalypse happened, you might still like it.

      Delete