Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Chuckles Chat #7 Mobile Phones

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week: Mobile Phones

A couple of years back I came across a woman in a shopping mall car park who was freaking out in front of her kids because her phone battery had run out. She was weeping as if someone had killed her kids and screeching in our direction 'what do I do NOW???' I wanted to say to her, get a grip, stop freaking out your kids, drive home and charge your battery up there! It wasn't a big deal or the end of the bloody world but you'd have thought she had witnessed the start of the zombie apocalypse or something!

I do not get the obsession with mobile phones. I owned one back in 1999 when I was working. A plain phone, no camera or anything and I used it purely for contacting family if I was to be late home or organising someone to pick me up, or checking a friend was in to see later. My bills were a couple of pounds a month maximum. If I wanted to chat to friends I went to their house or they came to mine. My phone was only for important stuff, not chatting. Others obviously used them in other ways. By the time I stopped work in 2003, I had ditched the phone.

So here is the shocking news people...I don't own a mobile phone! I don't have a smart phone! I don't text EVER! Shocking huh! Well you guys might not find it shocking but generally when I tell people I don't have a mobile they look at me as if I'm an alien! 'OMG how do you SURVIVE!' they scream in utter horror and I want to say 'I eat, drink, heat my home, get plenty sleep...' but I'd get even blanker looks for that...but yes, I manage perfectly fine without one thank you very much!

Why don't I have one? Simple, don't need it. I have my computer at home for all my internet needs. 'But what if you want to check emails!' they wail. Um, I do it when I get home. 'What if you want to buy an ebook!' I'll do it later. If I'm on holiday for a week I'll catch up on everything when I get home so I can enjoy the holiday without interruptions. If I'm out for a day with my dad I want to be talkiing to him, not sitting with my nose on a phone! I'm fine with waiting till I get in and relax by the computer. For my life, there is nothing vitally important that can't wait until I get home! My dad has one which he uses for emergencies. He takes it in the car in case of a breakdown or if he needs to call home about something while I'm in the house. That's about all we need one for. My uncle has a mobile phone which he can't operate so we can never get in touch with him, so that kind of defeats the point!

I'm not saying phones are bad or anything! They are useful in a hundred different ways for people who are interested in apps and stuff. I'm not having a go at the ordinary phone user or anything. But I am disturbed by how reliant people have got on them and the way they can't function if it goes on the fritz for a few hours. You see them freaking out on Twitter when Blackberry stopped working for a day or a network was down for a few hours. It's insane. It's as if they literally forget how to do anything without their phone. Can you imagine what would happen if electricity went out for a whole week? None of these freakers would be able to function! Think about what they would do if power was out for months like in these apocalypse books I enjoy! 

Then there are the ones on buses who feel the need to phone everyone in their address book.The ones who ignore the no phones signs in hospitals and GP waiting rooms. The ones who start taking calls in the quiet train carriage. And they wonder why some of us want whole areas of planes to be gadget free so we can get some peace???

This is meant as a bit of a fun post about obsessed mobile users. But there is a bit of a serious side to it. When my mum collected me at primary school she'd take my hand and listen to me chat about my dad and show off my stunning artwork. Now I see kids running behind their parents trying to get their attention and waving their pictures while the parent grunts and checks their phone-and I find that sad. People are so busy walking and texting that they just barge right into you and don't care to say sorry. Parents walking kids home are too busy texting to notice their kid has been flattened by a car on the main road. My dad nearly knocked down a kid a couple of weeks ago at the local shops. Mummy was on her phone and the two year old toddled out in front of him. He didn't half give her a serving on her parenting skills!

Are you a mega obsessed user? Could you cope without a phone in the apocalypse? Do you want to hurt certain types of mobile users?

18 comments:

  1. I have a fancy smart phone which is actually my work phone. I'm all for mobile phones - in case of emergencies. I was actually thinking this morning that we are probably one of the few homes who still have a land line. My cousin's wife is mobile phone obsessed. So bad that he lost his job because she wouldn't stop bothering him on it (more issues there than just the phone if you ask me) and she often ignores her 2 and 4 years old and is on it all the time. I think they did away with it for her because it was causing so many problems. My mother texts more than I do! If I had to cope without a phone, I think I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always felt a mobile was to make life easier not take over your life! I think your cousin's wife would drive me crazy and I'd be in her face about her parenting! It's no wonder kids behave badly to get attention when parents care more about their phones than their kids! I think you and Mr Barb will do ok in the apocalypse...I'll be doing some fun posts about preparing for apocalypsi!

      Delete
  2. You’re like me! I don’t have a smart phone, either. I have a flip phone from 2008. It still works because I don’t use it. Pretty much everything I do in life is done with email.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest a phone is a waste of time for me as I don't have friends to call! Everyone I talk to is online so blog and email are my ways of getting in touch!

      Delete
  3. I love my gadgets, but honestly, I'm almost relieved when I have a reason to put them all away. I regularly do the trip England-Belgium and neither of my phones work when I'm between the two... so I put them in my bag and forget about them. I'm so weirded out when people next to me pay expensive roaming fees or something. Just... just read a book, people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Just read a book! I see these people on the news talking about setting their alarm for 2am to check for messages or anything important...just go to sleep! No wonder they are like zombies in the morning!

      Delete
  4. I have a cell phone. I first got one for work and now I have it for my personal use. I rarely use it for anything besides the phone features. And it does not run my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Laura! One of the unoppressed! *giggles*

      Delete
  5. This is awesome. :) I have a phone but I'll never understand how society as a whole seems to be on them constantly. I was at a play the other week and waiting for it to start, just looking around... EVERYONE I saw, literally, was on their phones. Not talking to the person next to them. I was like geez, am I supposed to be playing Candy Crush while I wait?? Is tha a new rule lol?

    I love the convenience but I don't need an app for everything. And I don't check email or any of that crap either, I do it at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to take my mum out for dinner each week and entire tables had silent families ignoring each other for the whole meal to use their phones. I find that staggering! If I had kids, the dinner table would be a no go area for phones and they'd need to earn money through chores for their rationed phone time! I have this image of you looking confused and asking if it's an initiation!

      Delete
  6. I have a smart phone but I don't have a data plan. I can't believe how much some people spend on cell phones for their families. My phone will only make calls or text unless I am have wifi. If I have wifi, I can check email and such. This means that when I am out doing things, I never look at my phone. I find that it is much more enjoyable. The added bonus of not paying for a data plan is that my cell phone plan for my family is cheap. I only pay $45 per month for 3 phones. It was a bit less but I did break down and let my hubby have a bit of data. I agree that people need to put down the phone and look at life going on around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Motorola mobile phone I had was a one-off connection fee when you joined Virgin which was £15 then a bill for your calls every month. Nothing else. My friends were paying a lot of money a month (£30-£50) for line rental and connection and couldn't understand why my deal was better! It sounds like you sniffed out a pretty good deal yourself Carole. I think life is passing everyone by and eventually when horrible things like cancer arrive, they'll all regret not spending more time with family members.

      Delete
  7. I like having my phone, but I don't do all the things on it. I still need to do many things on the computer. But I do have games I play. However, we are not obsessed with out phones. We also use them to talk to each other because our shifts are all different. We also know when to put them away. We focus on family not the phone and internet. That's the fine line some people cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the key isn't it...know when to put them away. So many people are missing out on spending time with their kids because they care to much what the Kardashians aren't wearing today...

      Delete
  8. I have a smart phone too but I held for years with the old flip phone. I could definitely live without it but I must admit that it comes in handy. I can stream podcasts on it and check bloglovin' if stuck in a long line. I can also talk to my fellow animal care volunteers and coordinate last minute schedules and care needs when I'm not at home via group email/chat. It's come in handy for that the most. And when I'm counseling someone who has a question I cannot answer, I can easily contact another volunteer who can. Other than that, I could live without it :) I never actually talk on the thing and when it rings, it freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using a phone for work purposes, emergency contact for families etc is certainly the good side of the mobile phone. I hate talking on the phone! I never answer our landline as every call is scammers and tele-marketers so I just ignore it!

      Delete
  9. I don't get the obsession with mobile phones either. I can sort of see how they could be handy if you travel a lot. I have a mobile phone, but only a simple one. I don't use it a lot, but I like to take it with me when I am away from home, more as a clock than anything else. It's nice to know I can call someone when necessary. My reason for not owing a smart phone are the same as yours. I have a computer at home and when I am way I don't want to be working or checking my e-mail or even blogging as then I am focused on whatever I am doing at that moment. once I get home I can do everything behind my computer again.
    I do think smartphones can be really handy, I just don't personally need one. And it is creepy to see how reliant some people have become of their phones. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to know that others are like me! *laughs* I saw two sisters walking along side by side texting as they walked with their mother and she asked 'who are you both talking to?'-and they were texting each other! Now that is really insane. If the apocalypse comes, people like that are doomed...

      Delete