Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

From now until the TTT official hiatus is over, I'll be continuing on with my own topic choices. This week: Ten Popular Authors I just don't like reading! 

This topic may upset fans of these authors but the fact is, I have not enjoyed reading these authors. I'm not saying these authors are 'bad' or their writing is 'crap' or anything like that, just that they don't personally appeal to me. It's my personal opinion. I'm ok with you mentioning which books by these authors you like (or don't like) but if you start that 'how can you possibly hate this author's work' stuff, I'm not going to be impressed. The fact is I don't like the work of these authors and I won't change my mind just because you disagree, and it is RUDE to disrespect my opinion because it differs from yours. And I will NOT be persuaded to read anything else else by them so don't ask me to. YOU WON'T CHANGE MY MIND!

1) Terry Pratchett
I love the Discworld cartoon covers and I liked the sound of the books. I wanted to really love the series...but I didn't. I'm not actually sure why. The books were very well written and it was obvious that the author was writing good material but for some reason I just didn't really enjoy them that much. I was amused by The Carpet People though.

2) Neil Gaiman
The Graveyard Book was ok as a read and I did finish it but I wasn't greatly excited by it. I HATED Anansi Boys and DNF'd it, Neverwhere and Good Omens. I just don't like the plots, characters or writings for this author. I just personally find them a bit meh.

3) Patrick Ness
Having a nasty boy that smacks his dog around infuriated me when I read The Knife of Never Letting Go. I hated the characters, the slang, the writing style...pretty much everything to be honest and have no interest in trying anything else by the author.

4) Michael Grant 
I didn't like the Gone or the BZRK series and I'm not trying anything more. I don't like the characters in either books and just found them both somewhat bland. The writing did not appeal to me and I never got into the books.  

5) Scott Westerfeld 
I've tried various series by this author and been disappointed by the overall content. There were decent plot issues in Uglies but I HATED Pretties. I despised the inane and stupid way everyone talked and the characters turned really dreadful. No thanks!

6) Chloe Neill 
I tried the Chicagoland vampires series and hated the MCs, the plot repetition and the endless tropes. The Dark Elite series had nothing new in it just the same YA paranormal stuff I've seen in a million other books. I don't find anything new or interesting in her writing.

7) Max Brooks
Everyone seems to rave about his zombie books but I was pretty disappointed by them. I didn't like the format or the content and it has really put me off watching the film which was filmed close to my old workplace in Glasgow. Not my kind of zombie stuff for sure.

8) Ann Aguirre 
I always like the sound of her books but haven't actually enjoyed the three different ones that I've tried and I don't see the point in trying more. I just don't seem to get into the books or love the characters though I don't see much wrong with the writing. Just not my thing.

9) Keri Arthur 
I've tried most series she has done but I just don't seem to love any of them! Some I found ok and others I disliked but it's not the writing or plots that I don't like. I just don't seem to get emersed in the stories for some reason.

10) Karen Chance 
I loved the sound of her books because, y'know, Uncle Dracula but the MCs just seemed to drive me totally crazy each series I picked. Again nothing wrong with the writing but not for me. Gah, so much wanted to like her books! 

24 comments:

  1. Very well put. I also feel that there are enough books and authors around that we all don't have to like the same ones. I have enjoyed several books by Chloe Neill but I can tell you right now, I don't know if I will ever pick up Patrick Ness now, you don't smack dogs! I think I've read one Ann Aguirre book and I think it was ok but apparently it was not notable enough for me to remember the name - haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the MC never wanted a dog and hates looking after it but Manchee is sweet and can talk to him, and the little sod hits the dog a few times. That was enough for me. Poor Manchee! You might want to avoid this particular series...the dog has a bad time overall.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything from any of these authors yet. I recently bought The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness, but haven't gotten to read it yet. It sounds interesting so we'll have to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy the book Julie! I haven't read that one so can't comment on it!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the others but I agree Patrick Ness is a hard one to read. A monster Call's blew my heart in pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like the sound of his other work so I guess that makes it easier not to want to read him!

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna give him ONE MORE CHANCE and that's it LOL :)

      Delete
    3. Beware of animal cruelty in The Knife of Never Letting Go if you haven't already read it!

      Delete
  4. Terry Pratchett/Max Brooks - didn't work for me either. I tried Pratchett 3x's thinking it was my mood. Nope. I just don't get his sense of humor, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe his humour was too clever for me to enjoy or something like that. I didn't find any of it funny and I know I was meant to! I certainly agree with you.

      Delete
  5. I've had a bit of trouble getting into Neil Gaiman myself, not sure why, just doesn't appeal to me that much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I just found his writing and plots a bit on the grim side and couldn't get into them.

      Delete
  6. Really? You didn't like the Gone series by Michael Grant? It is one of my favorite series, same with the Uglies series. Interesting. But I love this post idea. I would have fun coming up with some authors that I feel the same about. Now I may have to go try this. So, the TTT is on hiatus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your use of 'really?' and 'interesting' seem to imply that I am 'wrong' in my opinion of the books mentioned.

      Delete
  7. The only author I've read from this list is Scott Westerfeld. I really liked his books and know I read a bunch of them when I was in high school, but I reread Uglies and Pretties a couple years ago and didn't bother finishing the series. I just didn't care for it. I think I might've liked Pretties more than Uglies though. (I think the way they talked was supposed to be annoying?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hated the way they talked in that book. I know it was a plot device but it drove me crazy. It grated on my final nerve and I wanted to chew off my own ears rather than continue!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read too many from these authors. Sometimes an author's writing style just doesn't work for certain readers. There are lots of books to move on to that you will enjoy more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It drives me mad when people don't understand that some of us don't enjoy what they enjoy. It's called personal opinion for a reason I feel! You always get the comments of disbelief that are so condescending!

      Delete
  9. I've never actually read anything by Terry Pratchett which I know is so shameful and I really need to at least try him one of these days! I'm with you on Neil Gaiman though, his books are mostly misses for me. My tastes just don't really mesh with his style.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw so many people rave about Neil Gaiman and I was beginning to feel like the only one not to like his work!

      Delete
  10. I love Pratchett & Gaiman, but never read anything by the other authors :D I see a lot of love for Patrick Ness, but am just not interested in what he's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do a second list next week as there are plenty more popular authors I don't like reading!

      Delete
  11. It's weird when people totally miss that you can say you don't enjoy something without saying it's rubbish. C'mon, people, it's not rocket science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you Nikki! It drives me bloody mad having to somehow defend myself from rabid readers!

      Delete