Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

I'm a day late with TTT as I was dealing with medical stuff yesterday-nothing serious, just a trip to the doctor with constipation! From now until the TTT official hiatus is over, I'll be continuing on with my own topic choices. This week: Top Ten Tudor Fiction Authors! 

1) Philippa Gregory 
The first Tudor book I read was 'The Other Boleyn Girl' (Anne and Mary Boleyn's affairs with Henry VIII) followed by 'The Boleyn Inheritance' (Jane Rochford's fatal plotting with Queen Catherine Howard to cheat on Henry VIII). Since then I've read a few of her other Tudor books and War of the Roses series, along with the excellent Wideacre. She is a good place to start for Tudor reading and scandal!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37470.The_Other_Boleyn_Girl 

2) Jean Plaidy (aka Victoria Holt, Philippa Carr)
Jean Plaidy starts her Tudor series (Tudor Saga) with Henry VII on the Throne and paranoid about the pretenders threatening his position. It then follows through the whole Tudor dynasty and it keeps pretty good standards. There is also an equally good Queens of England series which includes Tudor Queens. She has Plantagenet, Borgias and Stuarts series as well so lots of historical books to enjoy. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/794550.Uneasy_Lies_the_Head 

3) Margaret Campbell Barnes 
These books were written in 1953 and are surprisingly good! I expected old fashioned writing but these feel modern which was great. The series focuses on different characters like Elizabeth of York and Will Somers-Henry VIII's fool, as well as books on Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves. I've read The Tudor Rose (Elizabeth of York) and Brief Gaudy Hour (Anne Boleyn) so I have high hopes for the other books.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10412164-king-s-fool  

4) Emily Purdy (aka Brandy Purdy)
Another excellent author I've discovered and her book The Tudor Wife is a great read. It tells the story of Jane Parker in a loveless union with George Boleyn, leading to her plotting the downfall of Queen Anne Boleyn. The Boleyn Bride is about Elizabeth Howard, mother of Anne Boleyn, The Fallen Queen is about Lady Jane Grey...lots of good Tudor women to read about.  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7312230-the-tudor-wife 

5) Alison Weir 
Author of fiction and non fiction on Tudors, the author has recently started a new fiction series about the wives of Henry VIII. I read an ARC of the Anne Boleyn book and it was a great read so it looks like a series well worth following.  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30231546-anne-boleyn 

6) Judith Arnopp
This author was a recent discovery and her books cover the War of the Roses and Tudor times. A Song of Sixpence is the first book I've seen that explores the well known pretender Perkin Warbeck and has him as one of the Princes in the Tower. It was a really good read. I've still to read her books on Anne Boleyn and Katherine Parr which I'm looking forward to.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28946305-a-song-of-sixpence 

7) Diane Haeger 
I've read The Secret Bride, the story of Mary Tudor, Henry VIII's sister and enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to reading her other books about Catherine Howard, Bessie Blount and Jane Seymour. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1340021.The_Secret_Bride 

8) Ella March Chase
Three Maids for a Crown was an excellent Tudor novel covering the Grey sisters Jane, Katherine and Mary as they fall foul of their family plotting to steal the Crown away from Mary and Elizabeth Tudor. I loved the struggles of the three sisters with Mary being my favourite Grey. Also published as The Nine Day Queen, as I discovered to my cost.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9745113-three-maids-for-a-crown 

9) Elizabeth Fremantle 
A newer author that I discovered and I really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit, the story of Katherine Parr and I'm looking forward to reading Sisters of Treason which covers Queen Mary and her issues with the Grey sisters. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18050208-queen-s-gambit 

10) Robin Maxwell
I've read a few interesting books by this author including To The Tower Born which focuses on The Princes in the Tower, a mystery that fascinates me as I belive Richard III was innocent! I think it was Henry VII and his scheming mother who did it so I enjoyed this book a lot. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/825862.To_the_Tower_Born 

8 comments:

  1. I don't read Tudor books but I know you enjoy them. However, Brandy Purdy and Emily Purdy seem to be the same people and you know how much I loved The Secrets of Lizzie Borden and The Ripper's Wife. Glad you are feeling ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medicine seems to be slowly working which is good...I'm hoping normal service will be resumed as this has left me dog tired and not feeling much like reading! Yeah it's the same author and she writes great Tudor novels and I like her writing, which is why I grabbed the ones you mentioned. I need to have a Historical month at some point to catch up with some of these books and authors.

      Delete
  2. Of the authors on your list, I've only tried the first, but I did enjoy what I read of hers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a big pile of authors I haven't tried yet so I need to change that this year!

      Delete
  3. Philippa Gregory and Alison Weir are the only two I've known- I've looked at some of Weir's books before. They look very readable. The Tudor history is fascinating and I imagine the speculations are also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much scandal and intrigue in these books. The whole Henry with his six wives drama just couldn't be made up it's so bizarre and interesting! I just can't get enough of these books and I have a shedload still to read...

      Delete
  4. I should read more Tudor stuff, sometime... But oh, where to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I need Hermione's Time Turner so I can fit more hours in the day to read! Too many great books out there that I might never find!

      Delete