Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

Please note that I do not allow third party companies like DISQUS access to my blog or social media so if you use that, I can't follow you or comment on your blog or posts. Sorry! This is why I won't give DISQUS my details, for those who have asked:

"Authorize DISQUS to use your account? Disqus is a service and tool for web comments and discussions. This application will be able to:
*Read Tweets from your timeline.
*See who you follow, and follow new people. 
*Update your profile.
*Post Tweets for you." Um, NO WAY, NOPE, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!


So time for another topic. This week is Ten Books I Wish Had (More/Less) X In Them. I'm struggling to think of something here.

Ten things I want to see more books about! (If you have recs of any of these categories, tell me in the comments section!)

1) Disabled people in the zombie apocalypse
In zombie books you see and hear them coming and then you run or hide upstairs and keep quiet. Think about the challenges to an MC who is in a wheelchair, or who is blind or deaf or has some other physical condition that would create issues in the zombie apocalypse. I love the idea of this but haven't really seen any like that yet.

NB if you want to see sci-fy/fantasy books with disability characters check out this list http://blog.kristenburns.com/books-with-disability/  put together by Kristen at http://blog.kristenburns.com/

2) Rampaging dinosaurs
I love things like Jurassic World and books with dinosaurs eating people in mad gameshows or on deserted islands. But I want more! Yes to dinosaurs running through cities eating people! Yes to twisted billionaires creating Survivor style games with traps and dinosaurs! Yes to dino blood and gore!

3) Bigfoot 
I'm seeing friendly Bigfoot books for younger kids or Bigfoot thrillers and short stories...but what I want are more full length novels about Bigfoot stalking people through the woods and ripping off their limbs and using their spines as dental floss! Bigfoot in the city! Bigfoot at holiday resorts! More Yeti mountain disaster books!

4) Fast paced monster horror 
I'm seeing a lot of good sounding plots about mutant monsters but I'm constantly disappointed at how slow they are with the plot! I want breakneck speed with lots of monster attacks like Viktor Zarkov not a long intro to every character in town and info dumps about their houses and jobs and past loves...I just want a brief intro and then monsters! 

5) Sharks
Now who doesn't love a good old shark attack book! Don't give me slow plots with romance sideshows like Jaws, I want fast paced gory action with lots of death and near miss tension! Lets see more crazy shark stories, people trapped on sinking boats, flooded underwater facilities, experimental sharks on land...ooh lovely!

6) British Prepper and zombie fiction
I love prepper and apocalypse fiction and most of the good stuff is set in the US. I want to see more serious, scary books set in the UK as most seem to be dumb Shaun of the Dead so called funny books. Be nice to see more set in Scotland-I recently read a great EMP book set in Scotland but can't get it or any follow up books by the author in paperback anywhere!

7) Military zombies 
Love the zombie books by ZA Recht, Nicholas Sansbury Smith, Michael Stephen Fuchs and Stephen Knight where we follow soldiers into cities and labs, on scavenging and rescue missions while knee deep in zombies. I love the fast paced excitement and tension of these books and really want to read more like them! Recs anyone?

8) Tudors  
There are great Tudor authors out there but you always want more don't you! I like to see books based around real people not made up characters at Court and would love to see more on Mary Boleyn, Jane Rochford, Mary Howard, Anne Seymour, the Grey sisters...and the lesser covered Queens. It's fun to find the really good ones!

9) Mountain disasters   
I've read lots of books about the 1996 Everest disaster and disasters on a few other mountains but nothing about the more recent disasters on the same mountains or the Base Camp avalanche. I'd like to see a few more books about more recent expeditions.

10) Urban Legends 
I want to see more fast paced plots about the less common but very cool urban beasts like Chupacabra, Wendigo, Aswangs, Spring Heeled Jack...scary crap like that. Lets see more of these bad boys in urban populations!

20 comments:

  1. Kristen's list is definitely awesome. I wish I could help you with the Zs recs but I'm still allergic to Zs books. I hope to grow out of it one day :) I couldn't think of any Tudors, Mountain disasters or less common creatures books either but I'll come back if any comes to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you thinking about about it though! You know where I am if you think of something! I'm thinking about starting a regular recommendations post with a different subject each time to give everyone a chance to share books they loved on that subject. Have to 'help' everyone with their tbrs...

      Delete
  2. I would definitely be down for more books about Tudors!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/top-ten-tuesday-95/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can never have too many Tudor books! I just never get tired of reading about the scandals and stuff!

      Delete
  3. Discus isn't thaaat bad though, right?? And yes yes yes to number 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go near it if I was paid to do so! There is no way another company gets to take over my accounts and 'do things on my behalf' Nope!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, #1 is a good thought. I keep thinking about that since reading Kameron Hurley's thoughts about how her diabetes would make her one of the first to go... Someone could do something really interesting with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be scary when you think of anyone who needs to take medicine daily to live healthy, not having access to it during the apocalypse. I've read a few zombie books with this issue and I like the dilemma. I'm thinking of a few posts about the zombie apocalypse so I'll definitely be thinking about this.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha I literally have a whole post ready to go about how I want more post-apoc with disability, so I completely agree with that one! I'm trying to read the few that I have found, but so far it's not going well since the first one I read wasn't very good -_- And thanks for sharing my list :-)

    I read a book that had a yeti as a character once, but he was nice so you probably wouldn't like that lol. I don't think I've ever read about sharks or dinosaurs though.

    More urban legend books would be cool. I've seen an aswang in a book once, but it was only a very tiny subplot thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be coming over to see your post once I catch up here! I have found an apocalypse one with a diabetic daughter which was interesting-need to look up the details for that.

      I sound like a bit of a psychopath in TTT this week don't I! *giggles* A nice Yeti sidekick in an urban fantasy type setting would be ok-just not a fluffy bunny kids story! Ooh try Rick Jones-The Valley...it's The Running Man meets Jurassic World! A gameshow where you have to escape the gamezone which is full of dinosaurs to win your freedom...LOVED IT!

      Delete
    2. Oh, my post isn't up yet, just written. I'm super ahead on posts. I'm actually trying to read the books I know of before posting it.

      The yeti one I read was As Wings Unfurl. It was sci-fi, but figured I'd let you know in case you wanna look it up. And huh, that dinosaur one does sound cool!

      Delete
    3. I haven't been able to find the book you mentioned but I'll keep lookong!

      Delete
  6. LOL #2. I want to see more of that too! Like the godzilla movies where they demolish the city and everyone just runs. :) Dinosaurs in cities!!!

    I about someone in a wheelchair, or a blind person trying to survive zombie. That would... not be good. Talk about terrifying!

    You are cracking me up with #3 too. "ripping off limbs" lol. Yes to more yetis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be reviewing a few dinosaur books in the next week or so-maybe there will be some you haven't read. I love these mad dinosaur books but most are set on Lost World type islands. I like that but a few more urban settings would be nice or maybe holiday resorts with lots of victims! Not enough mega scary Yeti books out there though I did grab a couple this week that could be promising...Yeah imagine being blind in the zombie apocalypse...it would be horrifying. I'm not sure I could bear the tension in a book like that but I'd love to read it anyway. Our MC would have a loyal guide dog of course...

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't say no to more dinosaurs! :D

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always room in life to have more dinosaurs! I'll be reviewing a few this week!

      Delete
  8. Oh, what a great idea. I would love to see more urban legends in books too! Some authors should definitely pick up on the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't want a good Aswang adventure! What a GREAT name!

      Delete
  9. You are right! I can't think of many books that have any of these things in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be nice to see more of some of these things!

      Delete