Friday, 24 February 2017

Game of Thrones Gossip #5: Khal Drogo

Welcome to my Game of Thrones Gossip, where all of us fanatics get the chance to discuss everything we love about this amazing TV series. I did a few spoiler free posts about the series last year but I found that there were other bloggers out there who were also itching to talk more freely about favourite characters and events without spoiling things for those visiting the blog. So I decided to do a whole series of these discussion posts that let us say everything we want and enjoy every second of it! The topics may talk about a death, an event, a character or be season reviews and so on. Please feel free to comment fully and without restriction!

I have to warn you that it is important that you have seen all six seasons before reading any of these posts because these posts and blogger comments will be oozing and exploding spoilers all over the place. If you haven't watched the series and plan to, be warned that it's a bad idea to be here right now! I take no responsibility if you read on and things are spoiled for you nor do I take responsibility for any mistakes on the pages I link you to.


This week I continue with the main players who feature only in season one and it is time to look at the fascinating character of Khal Drogo. When we first see him coming to inspect Dany as a potential bride he looks pretty damn scary and I didn't think I was going to like the guy at all. Poor Dany's wedding night was a miserable affair until one of her maids advises her on how to seduce her husband and the whole dynamic of their relationship changes.

"Moon of my life."-Khal Drogo

Watching this fearsome man become a devoted and loving husband was actually quite touching. Yes I know he is a brutal warrior whose army rapes and murders everywhere they go, but I couldn't help but love the character because of his interactions with Dany. You can see his fury at the thought of anyone trying to harm his wife and child, and he does seem to value Dany just as much as their unborn child. The assassination attempt is what provokes him to agree to take the Dothraki to war in Westeros and give his wife the Iron Throne.

What interested me about this character so much is that almost every word of his dialogue was in the Dothraki language, which was a huge task for Jason Mamoa. I think he did a really great job both with playing the intimidating warrior and the kind hearted husband to Dany. His speech where he declares war on Westeros was so incredibly powerful and would not have had the same impact had he said it in English. I was impressed by how good he was in the part. It was an excellent decision by the makers of the show to do it that way.


I guess you could say that two men made bad mistakes with Khal Drogo. The first was Dany's brother Viserys who is unhappy that Khal Drogo is more interested in Dany and her baby than delivering on his promise to invade Westeros to put him on the throne. As an undefeated warrior I think Khal Drogo had contempt for this so called King of Westeros and assisting him was never priority. One of the most satisfying scenes in the whole season was watching the death of Viserys. I hated the way he treated Dany, trying to steal the eggs, his pouting jealousy,  and when he threatened to cut the baby out of her, you just knew it was going to end badly! And I loved seeing him get his crown! It was brutal yet somehow fitting.

The second man to make a bad mistake was Robert Baratheon, who decided to murder Dany and her unborn baby despite the objections of Ned Stark. His act drove Khal Drogo to utter fury and gave him motivation to invade Westeros for revenge. Lets imagine both men had lived and the Dothraki had hit King's Landing in season two instead of Stannis. Unleashing that horror on his people would have been the worst decision ever by Robert-other than marrying Cersei of course!

"My sun and stars."-Daenerys

Watching season one, you just knew that Robert and Ned were in serious danger of not living out the season. I also believed that the behaviour of Viserys was not going to be compatible with long life. But for those watching the series who, like me, had never read the books, was there a more shocking death than Khal Drogo? I never saw that coming at all. I assumed that he and Dany would raise their army and head for Westeros and that he would be a key player in the action to come. My first moment of concern was when Dany asked the witch to help her sick husband, and I did not trust her at all. Of course we know that the witch tricked Dany, killing her unborn baby and leaving her husband as a catatonic shell. Watching Dany kill her husband in a mercy killing had me in floods of tears!

Interestingly, the internet seems convinced that Khal Drogo may be making a comeback. We all saw that witch tell Dany that Khal Drogo will return to his old self only When the sun rises in the west, sets in the east when the seas go dry. When the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. The rumours are that season seven will have these conditions being met and that he will return to Dany. Now I would not object to that storyline! However, would the allies Dany has still support her with a Dothraki husband back by her side? Would Jon Snow back her?

What did you think of Khal Drogo? What did you think of his relationship with Dany? Were you shocked by his death? Do you want to see him return to the series? And how hot was Jason Mamoa in the part! *grins*

4 comments:

  1. I loved Khal. Like you, I thought I would hate him, but he did truly fall in love with Dany. The scene where her brother died is one the best ever. I don't know that Dany would be as strong as she is today if Khal hadn't died. I think his death awakened something in her and made her who she is today. It would be interesting if they brought him back. However, as much as I loved him, I'm fine with him not returning. I don't think he and Jon Snow would get along very well for some reason. I will have to be content watching Jason as Aquaman when it releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep loved that 'here's your crown' moment! Their relationship became so sweet and I couldn't believe he died so suddenly. It's true that Dany has been shaped by her trauma and became a ruler in her own right so it would be weird if Drogo came back now.

      Delete
  2. Ooh I like these posts. I was not actually much of a Khal Drogo fan and wasn't crazy about the Momoa casting, but I do think he did a good job. His relationship w/ Dany is interesting although I always had a problem with the whole child bride thing- she's signifcantly younger in the books so that may color my thinking.

    I actually would not want him yo come back, I think his death was effective and set Dany up to be self sufficient especialy everything that happened after. she lost the khalasar and had to suffer quite a bit, but now seems on the verge of regaining a khlasar though her own (and Drogo's might)- and I'm talking books I just realized, since the show already HAS her regaining the Dothraki. that hasn't happened yet in the book.

    Interesting theory though, I had not heard that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand you having different feelings about Drogo and Dany if she is younger in the books. It would be more of an uncomfortable relationship to witness. I didn't think he would come back when I first heard the rumour as I find it hard to see how he would fit into her new world...but then I remembered a dream sequence Dany had where she and Drogo talked and I started to wonder...

      Delete