Thursday, 16 February 2017

Chuckles Chat #5 Impatient Authors

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week I'm looking at Impatient Authors. Authors, I get that you love your book and want to start getting the word out about it, but you need to learn a bit of patience! Most authors I've dealt with since I started my blog have been great but there are a minority that can drive you crazy. If I agree to a deadline for an author and didn't meet it with no good reason, I'd say the author has a right to call me on it. I'd expect it. But lets look at cases where Impatient Author gets out of hand.

There seem to be a small minority of authors out there who think that your whole purpose in life should be to read their book and that things like work, family, sleep etc should all be sacrificed. I find these people to be rude and undeserving of a bloggers time. I've had friends who were told to stay up all night reading the book, instructed to skip work or a family social event to 'just get it done'. Authors need to get that some of us have full time jobs and family committments or other things that we want to do other than read every minute of the day. We sometimes like to go to the cinema, out for a pizza, read a book we bought for ourselves, sleep in at weekends, hang out with family and friends or have a Buffy night in front of the TV. We do have a life that does not revolve around the book you sent!

In 2013 I met an author who offered a book for review. I agreed but told the author that I had a few other books to get to first and it would be 2 weeks before I had time to start it. She agreed and said 'no rush'. Two days later I got the 'so what do you think?' email. I reminded her of our agreement, she said sorry, she was just keen to see what I thought. Two days later 'have you started yet?' GRRR. Next day 'how are you getting on?' Now patience is leaking out of me! I told her AGAIN I wasn't starting it until I was finished the other books I had deadlines for and this time the reply was 'just bump them and read mine'. She was of the impression that she and her book should be the centre of my universe.

NO. When I agree to a book with a deadline, I will meet that (unless a good reason comes up) because I made that committment to those authors. I will NOT ignore those promises because  Impatient Author wants me to give them preferential treatment. I was so angry at that email. I told her again about our agreement and my conditions for reading the book and she started whining about how she needed the review now and I should help her, and I told her I no longer intended to read the book. She seemed surprised, asked why, and said she could 'extend my deadline' if that helped! THERE WAS NO DEADLINE STUPID!!! Gah! This kind of attitude hacks me off. Don't agree to my terms and then moan about it later.

Now I'm noticing a trend with these author newsletters where they give you a free book then email you days or a week later saying hope you enjoyed it, can you leave a review! Jeez give me some TIME why don't you! I had entered mass book giveaways and had to sign up to the author newsletters and was initially flooded by free and cheap books from about 60 authors. Yet quite a few expected me to have read and reviewed their book in a few days! PATIENCE! These authors know they reached me through this mass giveaway so surely they don't expect me to read every book sent by all of them in a few days! GIVE US A CHANCE!!! 

Have you had issues with an Impatient Author? Do you have stories to share?

10 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I've not run into any of these. Like you, I like to stick to my commitments but I agree, sometimes life gets in the way. I missed a blog tour last week in the middle of my #LIFE mess but I managed to get it posted only a day late and I emailed the publisher and both them and the author were kind enough to send me a note saying thanks for getting it done and they hoped the puppies were doing well - those are the authors I cherish! It's sad when you really want to change your email huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vast majority of authors are thankfully not like these extremes! In your case you had a legitimate real world issue to deal with and I'm glad everyone was supportive for you. That's when you find the really good authors and publishers to deal with!

      Delete
  2. This is one of the reasons that I tend not to accept author requests. Which I know is unusual for a book blogger - and I've never had a bad experience with the few I've taken- but I just am about doing things my way lol and while I would absolutely honor commitments I wouldn't take kindly to the above kind of behavior. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the smaller book blogger, most of your experiences tend to be positive but you do get the odd issue like that. I used to take on up to 25 requests a month which kept me busy and I found some good books through it but when the deadlines started getting tight, I had to sit up late reading and I was getting stressed. That's when I had to cut back on author reviews and start reading my own books for fun again!

      Delete
  3. It does seem that some authors think we have nothing to do with our time other than read and that we have no books other than theirs. You can't give someone a book three days before it releases and expect reviews up on the release date. Even two weeks is difficult for me as I have other review copies and am a mood reader. But like you, if I agree to a deadline, then I'll meet it, unless something legitimate were to come up. That experience you had with the author who kept emailing sounds awful though! At that point, I'd also just not even want to read the book. I've never had anything like that happen. But yeah, every time I get the freebie in the newsletter and then another email a week later asking how the book was... I've literally never had it read yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had quite a few requests from authors with very short deadlines that I thought were too tight for me, and I've rejected them. As you rightly said, some want it read and reviewed in three days which is not realistic when you have other things to do. If I have a quiet spell with no other review books I can take on a short deadline for an author friend or a book I really like the sound of but it's rare that I do that. You have to laugh at the freebie newsletters don't you! It'll be the whole year before I get to read some of them!

      Delete
  4. Whew. Luckily I don't seem to have run into this much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can drive you a bit mad but thankfully most authors are good to deal with!

      Delete
  5. I keep getting request from authors who think I can just pop their book in the blog despite the fact I have a note saying no requests. When I first started out I would say yes but now learning to say no has been the best thing ever.

    It's nice to be nice and if you wan't somebody to do something you don't bug them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen friends driven MAD by authors requesting a review when it says clearly on their blog NO REQUESTS! It's just so rude!

      Delete