Thursday, 9 February 2017

Chuckles Chat #4: The Book Hangover

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week I'm talking about Book Hangovers and why I never get one. There are different thoughts for what it means ie tired because you were up all night binge reading etc but for the purpose of this discussion, I mean it in this context:

"The inability to start a new book because you are still living in the old book's world" 

I see the term book hangover a lot and I hear people say that they have to wait a period of time before being ready to move to another book. One woman told me that she needs a full week between finishing one book and starting another, so she could deal with the social and personal ramifications of the book on her psyche, and assess what she can take from it forward into her life and reading. Another said that after the last book she read, there seemed no point to reading now and it made her ponder the meaning of life in general. It will take me time to get over that and read again, she said. A third said that it would sometimes be weeks before she felt she had taken the time needed to adjust to her new reality which had been modified in unexpected ways due to experiencing the emotional trauma of a certain character and dealing with the complex feelings it had uncovered in her.

Um, WTF???

There are also self help pages to help you deal with a book hangover, offering advice about what to do if it all feels meaningless, how to cope if you can't face reliving it all again for review, finding things in the real world to do that you enjoyed at one time to take your mind off what you read, ways to help you prepare to pick up another book and rules for what you should or should not read next.

Huh??? 

Am I totally missing something here? I love Harry Potter as much as the next person and was sad to see it end but ten minutes later I was reading something else, not going through a period of self analysis over my thoughts, feelings and facing the prospect of mourning and misery! I don't feel the need to sit and think about my thoughts and feelings and emotions and ponder a new meaning or loss in my life. I've read and loved the book, and was happy it was so good, and have taken notes for my upcoming review. The next thing I do is decide what to read next and go do it! I don't feel any need to spend the rest of the night thinking about what I read. Sure, I'll talk about it online with friends or gush in my reviews and recommendations maybe for years to come, but I'm still ready for my next book adventure straight away! 

I just don't get the Book Hangover! Help me out here. When you finish a book do you feel the need to pause for hours/days to reflect on it? If you do, what are you actually thinking about? What is it you are doing? What is it that you feel you need to do before you can read again? I'm asking seriously because I do want to know why readers feel they need to do it so any imput from you is welcome. Or are you as lost with this concept as I am? Do you not get it? How long after reading one book do you feel ready to pick up the next one? Does a sad event at the end of a book alter your normal 'move on' routine?

For the record I'm not saying having a Book Hangover is wrong or that people are in some way stupid for doing it. It's just something I don't get personally so I'm curious to see what you all think!
Save

14 comments:

  1. Great post :) I personally don't get book hangovers - a book might tear my soul up, but I don't need to have a week's break to reflect on it or anything like that. I can easily start a new book immediately!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had book hangovers I'd never get control of the tbr...um...

      Delete
  2. I don't think I really get what would be termed a book hangover. There are times when I have finished a book and I seriously regret it being over because I enjoyed it so much, but it's never interfered with me being able to pick up another book. I like reading too much to stop for anything I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I understand talking about the books after the event and blogging about it, it's what we do! But I never really got why it would stop you feeling like you had to delay going onto the next book. I wouldn't have time for that!

      Delete
  3. Nah, I'm more of the "on to the next!" type of person. I get all of my feelings out during the writing of the review and then I'm ready to start something fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onward through the book pile, as they say! I get all my thoughts out on notes about the book that I take as I read, so everything comes back to me when I do the review. That and book gossip with you guys is all I need for analysis!

      Delete
  4. There have been a few times where I haven't felt like picking up a new book after finishing one that was just spectacular. But that might just mean that I skip one night of reading and do something with the family which works out well since I probably barely said hi to them while reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly sounds logical. If you get emotional after a book you might need a break. If I've blubbered at the end of the book I might not get to the next book for half an hour or something until I calm down! Or if I'm tired by a long reading session and need a break maybe...all of these reasons are certainly normal.

      Delete
  5. I've never really had this either. Even if I LOVE a book and am affected by it blah blah it's like - a book- and when I'm done I move on. Hopefully to another good one. :) I don't need weeks or intense self examination. Although I'll push it on everybody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, a book must be pushed on everyone! It's like a blogging law or something!

      Delete
  6. Ok, well, the examples you gave do seem on the extreme side of the spectrum. I've never needed weeks to recover from a book. I always thought a book hangover was, like, when you're still thinking about a book and maybe struggle to find other books that compare. By that definition, I do have book hangovers, but I still read other books. By the explanations you gave though, I do sometimes have thoughts from books. Either because it just made me think about some new perspective or made me introspective because something in the book related to my life (I'm really introspective and do a lot of thinking about things in general, so it makes sense that it would sometimes be caused by books). In those cases, I have a book journal and I'll just write out my thoughts there. But that doesn't take that long and, if I'm not able to do that as soon as I finish, it doesn't stop me from moving on to the next book and coming back to my thoughts later. If I took a week long break between every book, I'd never get all my reading done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found about six different views of what book hangovers meant, including the one you mentioned, but the post would've been too complex to look at all of them at once! Another definition of a book hangover is what you described, you're right, and I planned a seperate post on that next time. I think responses could be quite different!

      Delete
  7. That is nothing I have to deal with - there are too many good books out there that are waiting for me. I might be a bit sad after finishing an awesome book because it's over. But that's even more reason to move on and find something else that blows me away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the exciting thing about reading-you just never know when you are about to find that brilliant book! It usually appears when you least expect it...

      Delete