Monday, 20 February 2017

Book Review: Saber Tooth by Lou Cadle


A time gate...
A team of teen scientists...
A desperate fight to survive...

Park Ranger Hannah Kates is leading a group of gifted teens on a fossil-hunting field trip when a rock slide uncovers a portal through time. They are whisked back to an era when giant predator mammals roamed the earth. They want, desperately, to find their way home. But first, they have to survive a world where bizarre--and hungry--mammals ruled North America. They have to survive the Dawn of Mammals.

In Book 1 of the series, Hannah and nine teens are thrown back thirty million years to the world of saber-toothed nimravids, ferocious carnivores. Will all of them be able to survive this vicious world of tooth and claw?


My Review: 
Ranger Hannah and paleontologist MD are taking a group of teen scientists through an area of fossils when MD falls through a shimmery curtain of light after an accident and most of the group follow him out of curiousity. Now they are suddenly stranded in a prehistoric land with no way back, limited resources and hostile animals. How do they get back? Can they use their knowledge to survive?

OK so this plot might sound dumb but I'm not bothered how modern humans come into contact with extinct species-I just like it when they do because it makes for lively and interesting plots. However a word of warning-the blurb makes it sound like the group is being continually hunted and picked off by a pack of vicious sabertooths but that is kind of misleading. This is not the all out gorefest that you might expect. The saber tooths are in the book and have a couple of encounters with the group but they aren't the main focus of the story. The main story is the survival in a hostile environment, dealing with food, water, security and medical dramas as well as interaction with animals that are extinct. There are tense scenes, a few action encounters but it is not a gory horror, more of an adventure story.

Hannah is a good character, with knowledge, intelligence and can connect with everyone on the team. MD has the knowledge but he also has an addiction problem which is going to cause a lot of issues for Hannah during the crisis. I liked Rex, the nerdy astronomer who is very smart and he is the one who first realises that they are not still in the modern world due to the position of the stars and lack of GPS. The kids in the group are smart and capable, and only Dixie is a bit of a whiner. But they do work pretty well as a team to deal with their environment. MD is the one who gets on my nerves as his addiction issues and withdrawal endanger the group.

Only Mimi, her mother and two other kids stay where they are and don't follow the group through the curtain. We don't know what they do next or if they raise the alarm because we don't see them again for the duration of the book. I don't know if we see them again in the series or not.

It was a decent enough story but a bit more YA adventure than gory horror which I had been looking for. If I see the rest of the series cheap I might consider continuing with it but I wouldn't pay full price to read on. 

Read December 2016.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I used to read in 6th grade, which is kind of cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a decent adventure story in it's own right but I just not the gorefest scareathon the cover suggests...

      Delete
  2. Look at all those poky sticks poking at that innocent beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bark! It was there first and now these human interlopers are arriving and causing trouble for the kitty...

      Delete
  3. Darn. I was hoping it would be more gory. LOL That cover sure is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great cover isn't it! That's what drew me in but it was more YA adventure than gory horror. The gory bits were when they hunted their food and skinned it!

      Delete
  4. I have to admit I have a thing for sabertooths, always have, so this caught my eye. :) And I like how there's just a shimmering portal there lol. But who cares just get to the action right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm not bothered how lame the way to the other world is, lets just get there and find monsters! This needed to be a bit bloodier for me though...

      Delete
  5. I don't read horror because I almost never get scared lolol! it sounds cool, might give it shot, great review :)
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've read a truly scary horror story...I just don't scare easy! This is a decent adventure with scares and tension book though.

      Delete