Wednesday, 15 June 2016

What's On Chuckle TV


I have an obsession with Masterchef despite not being able to do more than basic recipes-I just love the overall drama of the series! I enjoy watching the kitchen disasters, pressure tests, invention tests, gorgeous dishes, the team challenges etc. I also enjoy how the different countries do their own versions.

For Masterchef New Zealand season 5 the format changed to a couples format-mother and son, mother and daughter, friends, partners, sisters etc. I actually really enjoyed this format because the couples would bicker through the cooking with each other and the team challenges had teams within a team which added more pressure and interest. There were several added elimination cook offs when the judges couldn't decide who to send home. Shelley and Trudie were really great fun to watch as they had meltdowns-they could have their own comedy cooking show! Wonderful to see George from Masterchef Australia coming over for a challenge again. A lot of great stuff in the series and my favourite pair won!


After season 5, the show was cancelled and picked up by a rival network. This meant new judges. I was really sad to see that Simon and Ray were gone as I loved them but Josh was still there. I actually liked Al and Mark as replacement judges so the changes didn't bother me. We were also back to single contestants battling for the title. This season we had the nicest contestant ever in Richard. On the fish challenge he picked the hardest fish (eel) so that the girls didn't get given it to cook. The guy is a complete gentleman and I was supporting him. In the individual challenges, he would help others around him constantly and he was a great team player. Other great things in this series included a resteraunt challenge with Marco Pierre White! 

The one thing about this series is that there was no real standout contestant and I'm not convinced that the best cook won but I liked both of the finalists anyway. There wasn't really a contestant that I didn't like which makes a change! I was gutted to find out that the show has been cancelled again so it looks like there will be no more Masterchef New Zealand, which is a real shame.

4 comments:

  1. I watched a few of some cooking show like this during the past year because it was on in between two shows I wanted to watch. But I rarely paid much attention to it. That's too bad they won't be having it for you anymore. I loved the first few seasons we had of Last Comic Standing. But then it was gone for a year or two, and when it came back, they had changed it a lot. I still give it a chance whenever they do bring it back, but I miss the original show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch Masterchef UK in the afternoons as there was nothing else on but when I stumbled across the brilliant Masterchef Australia on Gold, I was hooked and started seeking out every country version that does it in English!

      Delete
  2. Back when we still have cable tv, I used to love to watch the Food Network. I don't usually turn on the TV anymore and if my husband is home he takes over the remote. Every once in a while, I do sit down with this kind of show and it is always a good time. Too bad this one was cancelled for a second time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have something on the TV when I get up to give me a bit of company so these food things are perfect! I can do that and get on with my blogging! I'm not getting much time for it now with my dad watching the racing, golf and football this week!

      Delete