Sunday, 12 June 2016

An Unexpected Journey pt 1


As I mentioned in my STS post, as we entered June I was feeling dog tired, mentally drained, lacking concentration even for reading and suffering from the heatwave we were experiencing. I badly needed to recharge my batteries and have a blogging break. The plan was for long lies and lots of rest and reading. Well, instead on Saturday 4th my dad phoned the hotel in Blackpool that we usually use to see if he could take us from Sunday. He could, so I was in a mad packing frenzy that night ready for a 4-5 hour drive the next day. We arrived in Blackpool Sunday lunchtime to find that they were in the middle of a mega heatwave!
 

So on Sunday afternoon we set out on our first walk at the South Promenade. Thankfully, the sea breeze kept us cooler but it was pretty hot, up in the 20's. Suddenly, I was glad I packed quite a few T-Shirts! Check out that beautiful sky! My monkey Paddy, wanted to do a selfie at the rollercoaster...(below) and he loved the dinosaur on the shop roof below the rollercoaster tracks!



We took a walk out onto South Pier to relax and get a few photos. I'm trying out the camera I got cheap in the Black Friday sales last year-a Panasonic Lumix, and I love the zoom lens on it. The photos are really clear too. You can see the difference below with and without the zoom as I took photos of the Blackpool Tower from South Pier.



We just had to indulge in a creamy cup of Mr Whippy ice cream with a flake...but we nearly fainted at paying £4.50 EACH for it! That is a serious rip off for two scoops and a stick of flaky chocolate!!! It was such a gorgeous day though and the excuse to scoff it was 'we're on holiday'. I used that excuse a few times...We weren't the only people enjoying the day!



A great first day on our holiday but boy did I enjoy a nice hot shower when I got back to the hotel...

8 comments:

  1. Great pics. I love your monkey selfies and that dino is pretty amazing. Seems like your camera takes pretty good pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Paddy selfies to come through the uploads! He asked me to say hello to your furry friends and Auntie Barb! Yeah I'm so pleased with the new camera. I got it for £129 in the Black Friday sales which is a bargain for a Panasonic Lumix.

      Delete
  2. This looks like such a lovely spot. I love this kind of environment. I hope Paddy had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddy loved it! I have to take one of my 'children' each time I go on holiday or have a day trip. It makes the photos fun! Wish I lived a bit nearer so I could go more often!

      Delete
  3. £4.50 for a Mr Whippy! I remember when a '99 was literally 99p!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah those were the good old days! We thought that was expensive at the time! I admit to having a hot dog as well...YUM!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great first day out on holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great...I didn't really want to come home this time! When I was there I could forget all the stuff needing done in the house and garden, no cooking or cleaning...then back to reality with a thump! *sigh*

      Delete