Saturday, 30 January 2016

Stacking the Shelves #119


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. I don't allow any company access to my social media accounts and I certainly don't allow them to edit and take over my accounts. So if you use DISQUS, I can't visit you! And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress so you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me!
                
So we're approaching the end of January and I have enjoyed my month of reading. This week, I decided to tackle all the contemporary books that I grabbed in sales and charity shopps over the summer and autumn. I admit for the most part I found them to be way too slow and full of characters I hated. However, every one I DNF was one off the tbr which has dropped to a much healthier 560 books to read. Last week it was at 603 so that's an improvement! I did find two books I enjoyed out of Contemporary Week-The Fault in our Stars and The Silver Linings Playbook, so it was worth it for that and a reduced tbr. I have a few more to tackle tonight and that will end my week. I am going to try and read a few historical fiction books next to reduce that shelf which has quite a few unread, before I go back to my beloved zombie books!

On the book buying and downloading side, I had a nice week! The books shown here in the downloads are a mixture of last week and this week and were all free or under £2. The paperbacks are from series I've started and enjoyed so I'm excited to have them. I had the fun of spending a few Amazon vouchers from trading the unwanted contemporary books so that was spent on zombies for next week's STS! I do like to plan ahead and I hate it when I just have a small haul!

DOWNLOADS:









BOUGHT PAPERBACKS:





31 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to clear out a lot of books form your shelf in January, Chuckles! And equally glad you enjoyed TFiOS... not that it would have really mattered to me if you hadn't enjoyed it of course, but I'm glad you found two contemporaries that appealed to you.
    The Infected looks really creepy! Enjoy all your new books and have a fabulous weekend.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I wrote my STS yesterday, ready to post today, I read Still Alice which I also liked. So I did read three decent books in amongst the less liked, so I'm pretty happy overall. I'm interested in seeing the three films now!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on reducing your TBR pile. I love how many interesting zombie books you are able to find. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a step forward again with the tbr! I think I need to get on and start clearing the historical fiction books next, get the pile down a bit more. It's tough when I just want to read my zombies!

      Delete
  3. Good haul, as usual! I really wish I had your eye for bargains sometimes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just type things like zombie, apocalypse, pandemic etc or free zombie books into Amazon's search box on the books or Kindle page. If you do that regularly you start getting the recs from Amazon to follow up and great looking books just keep on coming!

      Delete
  4. Great job on your TBR! You have a lot of interesting looking books.

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting back to zombies but need to clear some historical fiction books first!

      Delete
  5. Lots of post-apocalyptic or zombie books. A lot of them are new to me. Congrats on getting your TBR pile down. That's wonderful.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon keep forcing me to get them! But contemporary week really helped clear the tbr a bit.

      Delete
  6. Woot! another zombilicious haul. The Infected caught my eye this time around. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of these yet so that is exciting!

      Delete
  7. Yay for enjoying The Fault in our Stars. It's one of my favorite books. I hope you'll enjoy all the new books you got. :)

    Happy Reading! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautifully written book. I cried so much!

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of any of these but congrats on lowering your TBR. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy about the tbr coming down a good bit. Need to tackle the Tudor novels now. They've built up a bit on my tbr.

      Delete
  9. I had A. American stop by for a guest post a while back, but I still haven't gotten around to reading his Going Home series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly like the sound of it. Hope it turns out to be good. I'll need to remember and check out that guest post.

      Delete
  10. Good work on that TBR. You always have the best covers. Hope you enjoy getting back to your horror but congrats on getting some contemporaries out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to hold off on the zombies a bit longer and tackle The Tudors next! They've been sitting there a couple of years now so no zombies till I read some!

      Delete
  11. That's a lot of books you got this week! It's always nice to know you're making progress with your TBR! I really have to work on that myself :) Happy reading!!!

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the books I got the week before but saved for this week's STS. I've already got enough zombies for next week but at least I'm clearing some books from tbr at the same time!

      Delete
  12. Well done, you survived your week off genre! It is nice to have a change from time to time but getting back to the old zoms is like putting on a pair of well worn slippers (albeit bloody ones!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want my bloody slippers! *grins* But I'm forcing myself to clear these Tudor novels first as they have been on my shelf for up to four years some of them! Erk!

      Delete
  13. Wow, that's a lot of books! I loved The Silver Linings Playbook, and I am not even a football fan. But it gave me a better understanding of why people bond so strongly over sports. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a good book wasn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing the film now!

      Delete
  14. 560 is an impressive number for a TBR. I'm still in the thousands. Thanks for sharing your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the 560 is the physical books that I own in my house, either on ereader or actual bookshelves. I keep my wishlist seperate but even it is reducing, thankfully!

      Delete
  15. Hey Chuckles! Sorry I've missed so many of your posts lately. I'm ready for things to calm here. I'm going to try to go back through them all, but I'm not going to be able to comment on all of them. :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for apologies! I know how busy things are for you at home and I don't expect you to comment on everything, so don't worry about that. Make sure you give yourself some 'me' time if you can, you deserve it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chuckles. :) I just like to return visits. I'll try to find that 'me' time though. ;)

      Delete