Saturday, 16 January 2016

Stacking the Shelves #117


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews
Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. I don't allow any company access to my social media accounts and I certainly don't allow them to edit and take over my accounts. So if you use DISQUS, I can't visit you! And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress so you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me!
              
I'm so pleased with the way that January is going on the reading side of things. I'm enjoying my zombiethon and getting stuck into all kinds of good and bad apocalypse type novels- EMPs, zombies, plagues, flu virus and so on. I do like a good disaster me! I think I might be a very twisted individual to enjoy all this human misery! It's hard to get the tbr down when you are continually grabbing new books in the genre though! Still, I'll get the numbers down at some point! I refuse to worry about it for now and just enjoy my reading!

On the book front, yes there are more zombies. This is still my Christmas splurge and a few from 2 weeks ago so I do still have a lot more to share with you! I grabbed Anvil, book ten in the Voodoo Plague series, Bonnie Dee's Dead Country, after enjoying the first book in her zombie series, and book 2 in Franklin Horton's EMP disaster drama. I've also read a few of the download books I've listed here already-White flag of the Dead, Rain, The Last Town and Remains of the Dead. Last Town is the lesser of these books purely because it a 48 page offering from a serial novel that stops before we really get into the zombie outbreak. I read the first book in the Arisen series a while back so I finally grabbed book 2 which should be exciting! I've still to get reviews up for quite a few that I've read this month but that is going to be my priority for this week. If I can catch up on that, then I can start getting my older reviews onto the blog, a task I failed miserably on last year! 

Now, the non fiction prepper books might be a surprise to you! No I'm not preparing for a zombie apocalypse or armageddon in case you were wondering! No, in the UK the power companies keep saying that power cuts are going to happen here at some point due to lack of backup energy supplies so I figured these books might be useful for tips on cooking/heating and supplies if we are without power due to powercuts or storms. Also, I'm just fascinated by preppers! If I lived in the US on my own land and had the money, I'd probably be one!

DOWNLOADS:

  

22 comments:

  1. I'm not really into zombie books myself. I think I read one books once that featured them but they weren't a big part of the book.

    Happy Reading! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah zombies are certainly a specific taste that you love or loathe!

      Delete
  2. I am always amazed by some of the books that you find. I haven't heard of most of these but I do like a good zombie story every once in a while. I find preppers really interesting as well. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got interested in prepping since I discovered a lot of prepper apocalypse fiction and some of it is really good! I'm also planning to watch some documentaries about it too.

      Delete
  3. Nice. I'm going to have to grab that box set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great box set bargains online to try new authors very cheap. I've got others to upload on future STS hauls!

      Delete
  4. I hope you'll enjoy all of this zombie-ness, Chuckles! And to avoid book-slumps, maybe once a month you should pick up something else - even if that only keeps you excited about the zombies ;)
    Have a fantastic weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much a mood reader so I need to read whatever I feel like on that day. Changing genres can actually trigger a reading slump in me! I do need to get some other things looked at though but need to wait until the mood takes me!

      Delete
  5. Soooo many books! I hope you enjoy them. I do enjoy disaster novels, particularly since I read John Wyndham's classic ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, give me EMP, zombies, blackouts, pandemics, nuclear attacks etc and I'm a happy chuckles!

      Delete
  6. I've always loved the cover of Rain. Hey, it's always food to ube prepared. A few years ago our town had a huge storm and a lot of people were without power for up to 10 days...I. hot July. Everything basically shut down. Hope you learn some valuable tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain got pretty mixed reviews on Goodreads but I quite liked it. I hope to get caught up on more apocalypse reviews this week. I can't keep up with my own reading at the moment! I think everyone needs to be prepared for a power loss, even if it's just for a few days. I've got my basic supplies ready for that so I'm happy!

      Delete
  7. Your books are always so interesting to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them have been pretty good to read too, I'm glad to say!

      Delete
  8. In my back cupboard we have all our long life stuff and every time we do a Tesco shop I have this mental calculation if there was a bad storm/zombie apocalypse would we have enough. The answer is probably no but we would have fun living of Pringles and strawberry jam! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've always had a cupboard fully stocked with pasta, rice, tins etc as my mum believed in having a supply in case of bad weather. I think I'm taking it to the next level but I'm in favour of a few sensible precautions!

      Delete
  9. Ashes of the Unspeakable and Rain both look great. lots of zombie books here, and I hope you enjoy them all!


    My Stacking the Shelves post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first in the Borrowed World series so I'm keen to read Ashes now! Rain was also a good book despite a lot of negative sounding reviews.

      Delete
  10. oh the books are all new to me. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have high hopes for some of these books!

      Delete
  11. Hope your find some good ones in this latest batch of of the undead ;-)

    ReplyDelete