Monday, 25 January 2016

Book Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


My Review:
What is it with this author and dreadful characters? Yet again we have an Mc that I don't like. Miles seems to think that he is superior to other people which is obviously why he has no friends and virtually nobody came to his leaving party. The two people that came to the party out of kindness and seemed nice people were sneered at by Miles as not being interesting enough for him. He has no social skills and a self obsessed manner that I didn't like. He was off to college for some fancy version of an adventure and realises when he gets there that dorm rooms are not 5 star accomodation. His room mate Chip is self obsessed, bossy and full of himself, ordering Miles around and insisting on being called The Colonel. Alaska wants to tell everyone she knows the story of her boob being honked. Bloody hell, spare me.

I'm thinking that expanding my reading to try these popular contemporary authors has been a bit of a failure so far. Still, I bought the things and I will read them and look for the good ones!
 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I have never read a John Green novel and after your fantastic review I will give him a miss!! Well done for trying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like this or Will Grayson Will Grayson at all. Paper Tows is ok and I kind of liked An abundance of Katherines. I've still to read The Fault in our stars to see what that is like. Still at least I'm clearing some books for online trade!

      Delete