Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Book Review: Contagious by Emily Goodwin


"I wasn’t afraid of death. If I died, it would be over. My worst fear wasn’t of dying, it was of living. Living, while everyone around me had their flesh savagely torn from their bodies to be shoved into the festering and ever-hungry mouths of zombies. It terrified me, right down to my very core, to be alive while the rest of the world was dead."

During the Second Great Depression, twenty-four year old Orissa Penwell is forced to drop out of college when she is no longer able to pay for classes. Unable to find a job, she moves in with her aunt in Indianapolis. Down on her luck, Orissa doesn’t think she can go any lower.

She couldn’t be more wrong. A virus breaks out across the country, leaving the infected crazed, aggressive and very hungry.

Orissa is used to only being responsible for herself. When she finds herself a reluctant leader of a group of survivors, she must make a choice: set aside her issues and help the others or go off alone in search of her own family and friends.


My Review:
I really didn't like anything about this book. It was a mixture of poor editing, a dreadful bitch of an MC and a plot that neither excited or entertained me. All of my dislike towards the book stems from the fact that our beloved MC heroine, Orissa, is a whiny, moaning faced, rude, obnoxious, self obsessed noron who I hated so much that I wanted to climb into the book and bite her myself.

Orissa begins our story drunk, coming in late to her worried relative's house and then ends up in hospital needing emergency surgery on her appendix. At a follow up appointment she is in the hospital waiting to be seen, moaning her head off as usual, when the zombie apocalypse breaks out. She becomes trapped in the exam room by a fire and passes out, waking in the safety of a basement with other patients and the doctor.

Is Orissa grateful to be alive? Does she thank her rescuer or ask what happened to the fire and what all the screaming was before it? No, she launches into a tirade about being imprisoned and drugged against her will, and starts screaming that the doctors are in a conspiracy to murder her. Oh if only that were true! She refuses to shut the hell up, endangering everyone, and the doctor drugs her again to the blessed relief of everyone. Pity that doesn't last. She wakes up and starts behaving like a whiny, spoiled brat, sulking about being stuck in a basement as everyone hides from the zombies. And how does she contribute? She pretends to be in pain so she can get morphine, which will be in short supply, depriving real patients who need it. Selfish little madam needs a good slap. Finally, when she decides she wants to know what is happening, she demands answers and throws her weight around.

Her next sulk occurs after she kills a couple of zombies, proving to the doctor that she never needed the drugs. Instead of saying sorry for lying, she sulks. She then throws a tantrum when the doctor, who has the patience of a saint dealing with her, admits he isn't telling everyone that food is low because he doesn't want to start a panic. She yells at him for not making an effort to find more food. Oh perhaps he was too busy getting these sick patients to a safer place in the hospital, rescuing YOU and tending to the dying, you selfish bitch! Now she decides that she should be in charge as she is so much better than everyone else and knows what to do.

In the blurb she is described as the reluctant leader. Reluctant??? She throws her weight about so much that they can't help but notice she is there! Her constant complaining and yelling, her demands that they do this and do that are obvious attempts to take over the whole show. Why anyone would want to have her as leader and follow her into danger is beyond me. As for trying to get out to find family and friends...she has friends? Are you sure???

As for the editing, we have the usual uncorrected mistakes. That I could live with but the author has no concept of what paragraphs and spacing were. There was no obvious break in pieces of action to show that time or scene was changing. I found that pretty annoying and a bit lazy. If I was releasing a book, I would read it over and over to get rid of as many mistakes as possible if I couldn't afford a proofreader. If you release something in sub standard form, readers are likely to be unimpressed. Mind you, the editing issues had no bearing at all on my rating of the book. I marked this one star based purely on my opinion of the story and Orissa.

That was it for me. I really hated this girl so much and I could not stomach any more of her whining, her smug self obsessed superiority or her bitchy attitude to everyone around her. I wish they had left her to burn or fed her to a zombie. Why authors insist of using MCs like this in their book is beyond me. I won't be risking anything else by this author.
 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment