Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Chuckles on Tour: Lake District Day One


So, most of you who follow my blog know about my winter trip to The Lake District in England, UK last week and I'm finally ready to show you the places we visited. I took so many photos that I've had to split it into six parts to cover each day, so please bear with me! It was freezing cold the first few days especially down by the lakes themselves with the chill wind but the trip was mostly dry so I'm very happy!

DAY ONE: SATURDAY 21ST ULLSWATER/KIRKSTONE PASS

There was snow on the hills when we set out this morning and it was bone chilling cold! However the sun was out and it was very clear and crisp so spirits were high as we took the M6 north to Penrith. The mountains around us were covered in snow and with nowhere safe to stop, I resorted to taking photos from the car as we sped along!



We turned off near Penrith to start at the north of our first lake Ullswater, the second largest lake in the region. It is the setting for William Wordsworth's Daffodils poem and the place where Donald Campbell set the water speed record on July 23rd 1955 in Bluebird K7 at 202.32mph. We started at Pooley Bridge and followed the lake south. This is Pooley Bridge.






We went south, looking for lay-bys to stop at but not many options were available. I did get my boys Otis and Quincy in a nice viewpoint though! Say hello boys!


 These are from various lay-bys we stopped at along Ullswater. It is a beautiful lake to visit.



We reached the far south of the lake and started following the road up into the mountains. It was gorgeous scenery but man it started getting so cold!



Then we arrived up at Kirkstone Pass and the view was stunning! I was so cold that my hands and feet were numb but it was worth it to see this amazing place!



I THINK the water that you can see above is Rydal Water and Grassmere (*hums 'Panic' by The Smiths*) if my map reading is right but I'm not 100% sure of that! Then we headed down the pass (below)



We drove along Windermere next but couldn't find a place to stop as it was Saturday afternoon. We headed back to our lakeside lodge (via Tesco for food supplies), tired, cold but happy! And finally here is the view from the patio outside our lodge, looking onto the lake. 




7 comments:

  1. The Lake District is so beautiful, I haven't been for a long time but the scenery was breathtaking! Sounds like you had a fab time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this was just the first day! I had a really great holiday and we plan to book again for sometime next year!

      Delete
  2. I visited the Uk one time and we spent a few days at the lake district then as well, it's a beautifull region for sure. Lake Ullswater looks so pretty! And that last picture that shows your view form the lodge is stunning! I am glad you enjoyed your trip even though it was cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Ullswater and the pass. It was a great start to the holiday!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. Looks like a wonderful lodge. If you have to be cold, at least the scenery was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you have to expect cold in winter but if you wrap up well it's fine-other than needing gloves I can wear while using my camera! At least it was mostly dry unlike our summer!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Pooley Bridge collapsed during Storm Desmond. I am devastated. It was a beautiful and historic bridge and I loved photographing it. So upset tonight. I stood on it just a couple of weeks ago. Shattered. Watching the news and seeing all the places we visited being flooded and destroyed is really upsetting me.

    ReplyDelete