Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Chuckles TV Catch Up #5

This is my new feature for the summer! I have sooo many great sounding TV shows that I want to watch but because of all my reading, I haven't had time to catch up with any of them! So this summer I'm doing a Chuckles TV catch up where I hope to get a look at some TV, decide what I like and don't like and tell you all my thoughts on everything. Now, my TV watching is very much mood related so I can't predict what I'll want to watch...

This Week: Alcatraz starring Sarah Jones, Jorge Garcia, Sam Neill and Parminder Nagra.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1728102/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

When I went to watch this I was aware that it had been cancelled after one season so I wasn't expecting much from it to be honest. But I actually really enjoyed it! I'm a big fan of Jorge Garcia, who was my favourite in Lost, so it was nice to see him in something like this. The plot is basically that one day in 1963, every prisoner and guard on Alcatraz vanished, with news of it being covered up. Now the prisoners are reappearing in present day SF and continuing with their crimes. Detective Rebecca Madsen finds herself involved in a case where the trail is linked to Alcatraz and she enlists Alcatraz expert Dr Diego Soto to help. Their interference means they are brought into the loop about what happened, joining a team led by Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) who seek to recapture the escapees.

I very much liked the plot, which was a bit different from the usual crime dramas you see on TV. I liked the twist on Alcatraz history as this is a subject that has always interested me. The flashbacks to the past gave you the prisoner's story and why they committed their crimes, but bringing the story up to date made things interesting! I liked the strong acting from the entire team and the way the crimes were solved. There was humour, tension and action, and the series had such great potential. The fact that yet again, another series is cut off just as it is finding it's feet is very frustrating.

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when that happens, so many times I have spent time watching a great series and it doesn't get past the first season. I loved Jorge in Lost so I probably would have enjoyed this.

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete