Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Indie Books You Might Not Know!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 

This is a totally free week so I'm switching my attention to promoting a mixture of Indie books in different genres that I've read over the last 2 years. All books received 3 stars or higher from me so why not check them out by following the link I've given you? Go on, you know you want to! Find your next favourite read!

1) Dave Ferraro-Dark Genesis
Alyssa wakes up in an alternate earth run by witches, with no memory, no powers and a host of scary paranormal creatures to defeat. With a band of misfits to help, she has a quest to complete to find her way home. Part fantasy, part urban fantasy with flashes of steampunk and adventure, it has action, tension, fights and keeps you interested. 

2) Ken Mooney-Godhead
Aphrodite betrays the Gods to demons and now in the present she is murdering their last descendants. The forces of good try to rescue and train the few left for the war that is coming.  This has well explained mythology, X-Men style people with supernatural powers, great characters, demons, action. Book 2 this summer!

3) Stephanie Jackson-The Reaper Within
Mel is a reaper, hired to remove stubborn ghosts from houses. When she enters she can't leave until all souls have been reaped. Now she is trapped in a house with multiple spirits trying to solve a mystery before the house kills her. This has elements of urban fantasy, light paranormal romance, suspense and humour. Book 2 is also very good!

4) Michelle Scott-Straight to Hell 
Lilith has a crisis-a divorce from cheating husband, sponging family, and she has died and been forced to become the world's worst succubus. She tries to escape her contract with Hell, control her family and uncover her new skills. I don't read paranormal chicklit but I found this very funny and entertaining which was a nice surprise!

5) Ivan Amberlake-The Beholder 
A war between good and evil is coming and Jason finds he is the key to it-if he learns to develop powers he never knew he had. Other people like him are being murdered and Emily must keep him safe to win the war. Beautifully written with elements of X-Men, suspense, action, romance, urban fantasy, sci-fi, fantasy and thriller. Book 2 also available!

6) RJ Crayton-Life First 
Kelsey goes on the run to avoid being forced to donate a kidney to a stranger, fearful the surgery could kill or maim her. But her troubles are only just beginning as the government hunt her down, determined to make an example of her. This dystopian thriller has lots of twists to keep you guessing, and is full of wonderful characters, suspense and drama. Great trilogy! 

7) David Estes-The Moon Dwellers 
Adele's parents are imprisoned and she has to escape her own prison to free them and find a way to take down the corrupt government. Tristan is tired of being the rich son and goes to find meaning in his life, bringing him to Adele. Dystopian drama full of humour, action, danger, bromance and an amazing set of characters. 5 star read!

8) AZ Green-Beasthood 
Jaz is kidnapped and taken to a compound where she is taught that she is a shifter. Adapting is difficult, knowing that her twin sister was betrayed and murdered there. There are also traitors who want her protector dead so danger lurks everywhere. A totally different kind of shifter novel with great characters, angst, action, betrayal and tension.

9) Judith Post-Wolf's Bane 
Rogue werewolves are murdering and blackmailing people and the other supernaturals unite to stop them. Two witches, the werewolf pack and the gargoyle protectors of the city start to fight back. Loved it-magic, shifters, humour, supernatural creatures, action, romance that adds to the story, fight scenes and a henpecked alpha wolf!

10) Suzy Turner-Raven
When her parents vanish, Lilly is sent to a new life in Canada where she learns about her shifter heritage and the truth about her family. Now she faces a dangerous trip to visit the Elders and she will be in danger. This was a great YA paranormal novel with a great cast of characters, lots of emotional scenes that I loved and a great plot.

11) DelSheree Gladden-Wicked Hunger 
Van and Zander have a family curse that fills them with the hunger to hurt and kill their school friends but they have learned to control it until Ivy arrives. Zander is obsessed with her and Van fears he will kill Ivy and expose their secret. This is dark fantasy at it's best with great characters, a tense plot and lots of exciting moments!

12) RL Naquin-Monster in my Closet 
Zoey is an empath, fashion disaster and wedding planner who finds a Closet Monster cooking her breakfast. Maurice is smart, house trained and with his paranormal friends is ready to help Zoey save her brides from a murderous incubus. Love this series with Iris the male skunk ape, a fairy defence force, Molly's brownie family etc. Humour and great plots in this series!





Check out the author pages for more great series by these talented writers! And if you grab any of these books and love them, tell me!

19 comments:

  1. Great post! All of these books sound like something I'd pick up - so a big thank you! To be fair it'd be hard to find one to start with because they all sound great. I find it quite hard to find good books in this genre. I'm torn between Monster in my Closet, Raven, Dark Genesis, and Godhead to begin with, any suggestions? I plan on reading all of them at some point, but which did you like the best?
    Thank you!
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal favourite here is the Monster in My Closet series. I love the characters and Maurice is so wonderful!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chuckles :D

      Delete
  2. I may have to check out The Reaper Within. I was wondering what interesting topic you would come up with this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to get reapers with a difference!

      Delete
  3. You're right! I haven't heard of any of these! Great choice for a topic for freebie week. I don't read many 'shifter' books but I actually like the look of Beasthood, the whole kidnapped idea and the murdered twin thing, looks interesting. Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Beasthood. It's a community I could imagine living in and it is fun trying to guess who the traitors might be!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of these! Oh the shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *wags finger* Guess you better go grab some of them!

      Delete
  5. Now I have new books and authors to check out... Thanks for the recommendations!!

    Here's the link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-sexy-male-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, I haven't heard of these. They all sound really good, especially Dark Genesis. Monster in My Closet sounds like a fun book, too. Great topic choice!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Monster Haven series has it all-sad, funny, tension filled, slapstick moments, bit of light romance, high drama...I'm reluctant to read the last two books coz then I know the series has ended!!! I want more Maurice!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, nice idea for a list. *bookmarks for future reference*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might revisit this list later in the year when I've had a chance to read more of the Indie books that are sitting on my shelves!

      Delete
  8. Awesome list! Gotta love the Indie authors :) I love David Estes! His Dwellers series is one of my faves. You should check out Rebecca Ethington if you like indie. She's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, her books would not be my thing. I only read Indie books for the genres I like. Teenage love and angst is NOT top of my list!

      Delete
  9. I've only heard of one of these so yay! Such a good idea for a post. ;-) I kind of want to read the David Estes one...I think I won a book of his once and it's lost somewhere on my kindle **gasps** ONE DAY I will get to it!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read this one of David's but I have the rest of the series(another 6) and two more trilogies of his in paperback to get to! I want to read them but I have so many others to get to! I'm doing a series catch up next month so I hope to get about 4 series at least caught up with! I think I might just do that for the summer!

      Delete