Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Great Horror Reads!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 

This week's topic is Books I'll Probably Never Read. Well frankly there are thousands that I never want to read based on genre, plot and other considerations but I'm not really interested in discussing any of them. So I'm doing a list of Great Horror Reads instead!

1) Stephen King-IT 
This is my favourite ever book in any genre and I've reread it countless times. I love Derry and the child murder plots by the psycho clown who takes the shape of monsters that kids fear. I love the characters, Henry Bowers and his psycho bully gang, and the way we switch between the past and present day as the kids and their adult self take on the monsters. Love it!

2) Steve Harris-Adventureland
I was so happy to find a book by a British horror author that I love! This is a funfair where you might not survive the ghost train if you get into the wrong seats. People are vanishing including children and a small group of people have to stand up against the evil and defeat it. I really liked this story and having it set in the UK was a nice bonus. Hope to read more by the author soon.  

3) JG Faherty-Carnival of Fear 
Inside the funhouse each room features a waxwork horror scene but when you enter, it becomes real. Battle zombies, vampires, werewolves, survive alien invasion or witch trial, fight serial killers, mad scientists...and if you survive the rooms, you get to visit Hell...Ooh I love this book! It is non stop action from start to finish, like a marathon of mini horror films all together!

4) Eli Constant-Dead Trees 
Underground humanoid creatures come out at night to kill the living and a widowed mother of two is on a dangerous cross country journey to keep her girls safe. Danger waits in every dark shop and petrol station and when the creatures learn to adapt and evolve, things get deadly. This is like a zombie book but with more human monsters and is fast paced and exciting!

5) Jack Ketchum-Off Season 
This was a violent, grim gorefest-and I loved it! Creepy cannibals in the woods attack a group of friends at their cabin in the woods and subject them to utter terror. This was full of sexual violence, gory horror and great writing and I loved it. I haven't read the two follow up novels to this yet which I hope keep the same standard, as other books by Ketchum have disappointed me.

6) JF Gonzalez-Survivor 
Lisa's romantic getaway ends when she is kidnapped to be used in a snuff film. Escape looks impossible but Lisa has one last card to play to save her unborn baby-make a shocking deal with her captors. This book was tense, scary, revolting, violent, stomach churning and compelling. Lisa's choice was horrific and I couldn't put the book down.

7) Sarah Pinborough-Breeding Ground
The women in town have been impregnated by something that alters their behaviour and makes them dangerous-but their spider-like offspring are even more deadly. Now the men and the remaining unaffected women must flee to a safe place and find a way to survive and defeat the monster spiders. I hate spiders but loved this book!

8)  Ricky Sides-Claws
A new cat food has a dangerous side effect-the more cats eat the more aggresive they become and the more they want to eat. When these test subjects are released by animal rights activists, the cats go on a killing frenzy that even the army struggle to control. Now the contaminated food is being released...Great story for cat fans and haters! 

9) Matt Drabble-Abra-Cadaver 
A magician is locked up for murdering his wife when local kids fail to give evidence that could have cleared him. Now he is out of prison and seeking revenge on those kids who are adults now and a reign of terror begins. This tongue in cheek horror tale has murder and humour and lots of twists, making it an enjoyable read!

10) Joe Hill-Heart Shaped Box
A rock star who collects creepy artifacts gets a haunted suit with a murderous ghost and Jude needs to work out who tricked him into taking this cursed item. This story was creepy and tension filled like a proper old fashioned horror tale. I really enjoyed this.
 






18 comments:

  1. I love your change in topic. I plan on rereading Heart Shaped Box sometime toward the end of the year. I also love that cover on Claws and may have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cats in Claws are seriously bad! I'd like to read Heart Shaped Box again but I need to clear half my tbrs before I can justify rereads!

      Delete
  2. I haven't actually heard of a lot of the books on your list (I'm not really into horror!), so can't tell you if you should be giving any of these a go!
    I've been told a lot in the past that I need to read Stephen King, but I really don't see it ever happening!
    Happy reading, or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my best horror reads list so I've already read and loved all of these books..

      Delete
  3. I don't know these books. My faves are Tr Exorcist and Amityville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the books mentioned are great indie horror books. I love the chance to promote Indie books!

      Delete
  4. Heart Shaped Box FREAKED me out! It's totally the suspense that gets you. Breeding Ground sounds horrifying! I hate spiders! Carnival of Fear sounds good. Great list! Thanks for the recommendations!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely creepy book wasn't it! I love books where the tension keeps getting ramped up! I loved scaring myself with Breeding Ground...*grins*

      Delete
  5. Nice list of books!! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my TTT post this week! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This list makes me want to reread them all...

      Delete
  6. I'm afraid I should probably cross all these off any potential list of mine on the grounds of being a most ginormous wuss! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles* I think my Wuss gene must be dormant...!

      Delete
  7. My sister loves horror. I think you'd get on well with her! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have barely even READ horror! I have a few favourite YA horrors, but they're pretty rare. XD I'd like to try Stephan King one day!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie or Christine might be a good place to start with Stephen King-they are more psychological horror, not utter gorefests.

      Delete
  9. Hmm. I'm not much of a horror reader. I don't want to go to bed then. lol. Silly me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay well away from the two Demons films-they give ME nightmares!

      Delete