Thursday, 15 January 2015

Book Review: Stray by Rachel Vincent (Shifters #1)


I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays, werecats without a Pride,constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever and whoever I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them.


My Review:
Faythe is a werecat, daughter of the Alpha/Council Head and wanting an independent life from the Pride with her college boyfriend and human friends. But Stray males are kidnapping the few available breeding age tabbies and Faythe is on their list.Called home by her Dad, Faythe seeks to rebel which places her in mortal danger as the Strays seek her out.

I love were/shifter books and so much wanted to like this one-but it was a bit of a let down. Faythe is meant to be 23 years old and has lived away from home for 5 years yet she comes across as a whiny, bleating, irritating 12 year old having tantrums when she doesn't get her own way. You sympathize for ten minutes about her life being mapped out for her by her parents for the good of the Pride but then you get annoyed by her going on about it. She is very much 'Me Me Me' with no thought for what her actions do to the safety of the Pride. She sulks, she has tantrums and pouts and she treats everyone around her like crap when it suits her. This is a spoiled brat who is not mature enough to be out in the world on her own.

Faythe is forever doing things to spite her father for no other reason than to annoy him. She moans about her Dad wanting her to marry Marc-Faythe, you love the guy and can't imagine being without him so what is the problem??? Most people want Daddy to approve of the guy in their lives! But for Faythe this is reason enough to pretend not to love Marc and cheat on him-because we can't possibly be with someone that Daddy approves of. She has the emotional maturity of a wet leaf. What poor Marc sees in the whinging brat is beyond me because he is a great character.

When she doesn't get her own way, she sulks and then rebels. This childish obsession with 'I'll just run away then' at a time when her cousin and friend have been abducted, and she is a target, is stupid and annoying and shows a disregard for her family and her own safety. Her family and friends are putting themselves in danger to protect her and her attitude to that just pissed me off. I can't stand her! And of course when she DOES get into trouble she goes into self pity mode and we are expected to feel sorry for her. Nope, you deserved it stupid.

It also took so long to get into the actual story of the Strays and the abductions, which is where the interest lay. I wanted to know more about that and see less of Faythe's tantrums. It needed a lot more action for me and less childish angst. On the plus side, the abduction bit was good to read and kept me interested, and at last you see a glimpse of Faythe as more of an adult. It just all came a bit late in the book for me to give this more than 2 or 2.5 stars.

star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear... my sister rather likes these books and wants me to read them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, you might enjoy them better than me, especially good if you can borrow them from your sister!

      Delete