Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Book Review: Tempting Evil by Keri Arthur (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)


In a world of sorcery and seduction, the nights bring out the beautiful, the damned, and the desired. Here, Riley Jenson is on her own–half werewolf, half vampire, working for an organization created to police the supernatural races. Trusting her superiors and lovers barely more than she trusts her worst enemies, Riley plays by her own set of rules. Her latest mission: to enter the heavily guarded pleasure palace of a criminal named Deshon Starr–a madman-scientist who’s been messing around in the gene pool for decades.

With two sexy men–a cool, seductive vampire and an irresistibly hot wolf–vying for her attention, Riley must keep focused. Because saving the world from Deshon Starr will mean saving herself–from the trap that’s closing in around her. . . .


My Review:
When I first heard about this book I was only able to get hold of book three so I had to read it first, which wasn't ideal, but it wasn't difficult to catch up with the story that I had missed and I did enjoy the book.

Riley is part of the supernatural team investigating genetic experiments being carried out on shifters and finally, they have the name of the guy running the show-Deshon Starr. To get to his mansion and private labs, Kade and Rhoan are going in as security guards and Riley goes in as a shifter fighter, there to entertain the crowds and service the most trusted men. Riley is trying to find the main labs through psychic exploration of her guards minds during sex, locate a child hostage and help a race of creatures to escape, all without raising suspicion. But her fellow fighters aren't making life easy for her and having her brother and friends undercover as well gives her plenty to worry about.

Riley reminds me so much of Anita Blake with her smart mouth and tough attitude and I liked her through the books, other than her questionable taste in men. The down side, like Anita in later books, is her frequent sex sessions though at least there is a point to Riley's antics. She has an alpha werewolf, obnoxious vampire and horse shifter as her regular lovers plus the 'sex with the bad guys to get information' parts but that doesn't bother me with a fast paced plot and interesting characters amongst it. I only really object when there is no plot between the bouts of sex. I don't really feel any chemistry between Riley and Kellen though. I miss Misha. He was much more interesting than Kellen and Quinn put together.

The good bits? I enjoy the story itself about the genetic clones. The creatures we keep discovering are interesting and dangerous, but Iktar the spirit lizard was really cool. I hope we get to see more of him in the series if he joins the team. It was nice to see Kade again and I like him because he doesn't make demands on Riley and has a nice casual relationship with her. I like Rhoan a lot and I just wish he would commit to Liander! The entire storyline at the mansion was good with lots of dangerous situations for Riley to get into. There was action, tension and excitement in this book and it is all tied up nicely at the end. I was NOT expecting the secret identity of Deshon Starr so I got a shock when that was revealed. In hindsight it was very much guessable if I had a better memory for details. It was a great twist even if you had seen it coming.

The down side? Quinn moaning, complaining and treating Riley like shit. Yet again he left her and only came back when he realised that the mission against Starr was beginning. When the asshat has sex with Riley so he can get into her head for mission details, I wanted to stake him myself. I really hate the guy. The author has obviously decided that Quinn will keep treating Riley like crud because they are going to end up together in the end and I hate that kind of abusive relationship in my Mcs. No girl should aspire to be with that kind of creep even if she is fictional! If this continues through the series, I won't be there at the end.

The best of the first three books and worth 3.5 stars despite Quinn. This review was first written in 2010 and updated on a re-read October 2014.

 
star rating photo: 35 star rating 3-5-stars.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment