Friday, 10 October 2014

Book Review: Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz (Blue Bloods #2)


Schuyler Van Alen is starting to get more comfortable with her newfound vampire powers, but she still has many unanswered questions. A trip to Italy in search of her grandfather only serves to make things more confusing. What secrets are the leaders of The Committee hiding? Meanwhile, back in New York, preparations are feverishly underway for the famous Four Hundred Ball. In true Blue Blood fashion, the ball is totally fab, complete with masks-and hidden behind this masquerade is a revelation that will change the course of a young vampire's destiny.

The thrilling sequel in Melissa de la Cruz's vampire mythology has all the glamour, attitude, and vampire lore that made the first book a hit.


My Review:
Having liked the first book, to my surprise and that of my book friends, I was looking forward to diving into this one to see what happens. However I was really disappointed by it. The story is that our heroine Schuyler decides to go to Venice to look for her grandfather to help save them all while Mimi plots nasty things.

OK so the good parts? Well I'm struggling with that. It wasn't a dreadful book by any means, I just mean that there wasn't a huge plot device that thrilled, or something that inspired me to think 'wow', how cool is this. I suppose you could say that Schuyler toughens up a bit, and we see a decent amount of Oliver and Bliss who I like. And the Dylan thing though it was a bit dragged out. But there just wasn't enough going on to pick out anything else that really grabbed my attention.

There is very little happening from a plot point of view in this book. We get the bloods happily partying as normal like the rich kids that they are, spending money and planning more parties. We have that stupid side story of the modelling continue which almost slowed Blue Bloods to a standstill, and really did nothing for an even slower paced book like this. We have a perfectly good set of bad fangs trying to kill our heroes here which is pretty dang important so why do we get more fashion crap every chapter? Get to the points of interest in the story and stop wasting time! I feel as if the author didn't have enough exciting ideas and material for a whole series of books and decided to fatten each one with things of little interest instead, hoping we wouldn't notice. And of course there is the usual overdose of clothes and hair and styling and half baked descriptions which almost put me off the first book. Everything in this book was slow, dragged out and over-described to the point of putting me to sleep!

Then we have the character development, or in Mimi's case, none at all. The House of Night series had major flaws in it as those who read my reviews will know, but the bad girl in that book, Aphrodite, started as cow of the century and developed into the most interesting character in the book, the only one I liked in the end. I really hoped to see the same from Mimi but it was not to be. Even if she has showed more to her character than Fang Bitch, it would have been something but she doesn't change from the last book. She just remains a nasty piece of work who I just don't like or care about. Jack is still a major asshat and a waste of space. I just don't see the point to him as a so called love interest. And Oliver of course is dragged into a bloody love triangle with Schuyler who is still hung up on Jack. Of course! We can't miss the favourite YA cliche in a YA paranormal book! Jeez can we get some originality here??? There is too much uber-bitching going on which reduces the female cast to acting like toddlers who have eaten too much chocolate.

The writing style of the author really frustrates me. When I read a book I use the descriptions to get a picture in my mind of what the author is telling me. It is so hard to do that when the author is giving you an info dump about fashion labels and inane stuff that means nothing for the plot. In the end I have little clue of what she is trying to tell me, which is not good. If you are going to describe in detail, make the details clear and vivid. Don't assume that your reader knows the designer's work or house builder or whatever. Show, not tell please!

As I drifted through the book, waiting for something meaningful to happen and not finding it, I made the decision that this was the end of the road for me and this series. I doubt that I will try anything else by this author. 
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment