Thursday, 23 October 2014

Book Review: Jenny Pox by JL Bryan



Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

Not recommended for readers under eighteen.


My Review:
This book has been sitting on my Kobo for ages. In fact, it was one of the first books I uploaded to the Kobo when I got it. I figured it was time to get it read. But the problem with these books lying around on the ereader is that I was in my YA paranormal phase when I picked them all and now I don't read much of those types of books. I got a bit tired of love triangles, uberbitches and insta-love.

So lets start as always with the good. Jenny is a decent MC and you feel sympathy for her situation. She can maim and kill by touching people so she keeps distant from everyone at school to protect them from her curse. One day she gets bullied and touches a girl in front of witnesses who see the ugly welts she causes, earning her the nickname Jenny Pox. Jenny struggles to hug her dad or even befriend a dog in case she kills by accident. I liked her and I liked the 'pox' storyline, which was a bit different but I thought having the cliche story of the MC being bullied by the beautiful school uberbitch did spoil the plot, turning something new into something we'd seen a hundred times before. It's something that does get on my nerves in YA books. And the bitches were just evil in this case with no redeeming qualities.

I finally started to lose interest when the inevitable romance element was being introduced. I know that teen romance is going to feature heavily in most YA/NA paranormal after the success of Twilight, but I'm just getting a bit bored by that type of book all the time. Jenny needs a friend so having someone who has a similar type of ability was good, but seriously, guys and girls can be friends without a love element! It might be nice to see that for a change! Seth, as a character was a bit bland and boring, even when he is playing hero for Jenny and I never really felt a chemistry or anything between them. The romance felt there for the sake of it instead of natural. Most of the other characters I just didn't like.

I have read in reviews on Goodreads that graphic sex and drug taking are also in the book but to be honest, I didn't really get that far into the story so I can't comment. This book was marketed to me as being YA, it is highly listed on Goodreads as YA yet I just noticed as I write this review that it carries an 18 restriction-so I guess it isn't meant to be YA at all. Huh. It just wasn't going to be my kind of book anyway.

So I should say, not recommended for those under 18 due to adult content in places. 
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this author or book until now. Hmm. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This author seems to do something different with each book he writes. I've got two on my tbr-one sci-fi/dystopian and the other urban fantasy. I still plan to read them both!

      Delete