Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Book Review: Frost Moon by Anthony Francis


In an alternate Atlanta where vampires and werewolves prowl the night, magic is real, and tattoo magic is the strongest magic of them all, a serial killer is targeting the magically tattooed on the full moon.

Dakota Frost, best magical tattooist in the Southeast, learns from the police she may be a target ... just when she receives a lucrative commission to ink a magic tattoo for a werewolf before the next full moon.

Caught between the rough and tumble world of the werewolves, the law and order rules of the vampires, and a sexy man-in-black whose motives are in doubt, Dakota must tread carefully to survive - because she doesn't know whether her werewolf client is the tattoo killer ... or the next victim.


My Review:
I really liked the sound of the plot. Although I have no personal interest in tattoos, I liked the idea of making magical tattoos and thought it made add something different to the urban fantasy story. It turned out to be fairly interesting especially when compared to other elements of the book.

The plot was my issue in several ways. Right from the start I was not enjoying it. This book did not feel like the urban fantasy that it advertised itself to be. I was getting the feeling that the author had decided to take the word 'fantasy' to mean he was to include every single female fantasy that he might have which is why we were being bombarded by the stuff. I felt as if I was reading bondage style erotica instead of urban fantasy and had I known about this content, I would not have bought it in the first place. It just doesn't interest me. Neither does the fact that everyone who meets Dakota wants to jump her bones. This is such a boring and over-used plot device and it gets on my nerves.

Dakota having the ex-girlfriend didn't bother me as I don't care what race, religion or sexuality my MCs are, as long as they are well written and interesting, and we get a good plot. But that did not happen. Dakota herself was ok as a MC, but it was the introduction of the domination and all that stuff that I have no interest in reading about. Lady Saffron and all her ideas for fun were not what I was expecting-there was NOTHING in the blurb to suggest the paths that this book wandered down and that pisses me off. The author, in my opinion, should be clear on the subject matter in his books to let people make an informed choice about whether to read it or not. I felt pretty cheated by this omission, if I'm honest.

The plot also has a lot of things that are just not interesting and don't add to the plot. Another reviewer commented that nobody really seemed interested in looking for this serial killer and I agreed with that. Perhaps the author forgot about it for a while in the erotica frenzy or something.

The sexual content and comments seemed there to shock the reader or to be sexually contraversial in some way. For me, it was just ten shades of boring dross that made me want to make the book into a functional lampshade or something. It would have been great to get through a whole chapter without people leering at Dakota, making offensive comments and suggestions about what she should do to herself or have people indulging in crude, lewd crap all around her. And Dakota herself behaves just as badly so all liking for her rapidly went out the window. Lets just say her brain morphs into the slutty version of Anita Blake very quickly, and leave it like that.

So if Christian lesbians behaving badly is not your scene, avoid this book. Actually, if you don't like weird erotica, avoid this book. I certainly won't waste money on this guy's books again.
 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I had wanted this book when I first read the blurp. But then I started to hear reviews and realized it probably isn't for me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I imagine a lot of people will read and like this-I just get annoyed when authors don't tell the readers what the content is. After all, they are the ones who will suffer from irate UF fans not liking it and rating it like I did! And the target audience for this book might never get to read it if they assume it is just UF...seems a bit crazy to me!

      Delete