Saturday, 4 October 2014

Book Review: Dark Time by Dakota Banks


Three hundred years ago, she sold her soul to a demon. Now she wants it back.

For centuries, the woman calling herself Maliha Crayne has lived a second life - as an assassin for the malevolent creature who owns her soul. A haunted killer with the blood of countless victims on her hands, she has finally discovered a way to nullify the demonic pact that chains her: If she saves a life for every one she has taken, she will be free.

But if she fails, her punishments will be unspeakable, unendurable . . . and neverending.


My Review:
I couldn't get into this book at all. I so loved the idea and I really wanted to like but I just didn't. So what didn't I like about it? Well for me, everything about this book was confusing.

Firstly, I expected this to be an urban fantasy action filled tale but the MC seems more interested in sex than anything else which put me off from the start. If I wanted PNR I'd have picked up a bodice ripping vampire love book.

Why does the main character have so many bloody names? She is referred to by her real name, her adopted name, her alias and who knows how many more appear after I gave up on the book. Why introduce the up to date story with the name she likes only to have people constantly calling her something else. That bugged me and was confusing to quite a few book readers. Something else that made my eyes glaze over a bit were all the gadget chat techno stuff that means nothing to me.

At one point I felt as if I was reading a crime novel instead of what I'd been told was urban fantasy. The first part of her story, telling about the demon was slow but at least it was urban fantasy but then it was pretty much crime novel all the way until I quit. The search for these shards was a much more intriguing story but it was shoved into the background which was baffling when her whole desire was to defeat this demon! So why wasn't it the main story? Crazy stuff. Then there were the flashbacks which were never ending but seemed to me to come at strange times and jumped around time with little thought of cohesion for the story.

I've noticed other reviews commenting on the inaccuracy of historical facts about witch burnings and the law on 'pregnant witches'. I'm no expert on these things but if the reviewers are correct, and I have no reason to doubt them, then that is a lack of research on the author's part which is also a bit annoying.

So overall, a decent concept that was just ruined by confused plots and lack of cohesive writing.
 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment