Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Book Review: Dark Descendant by Jenna Black


From the acclaimed author of the Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist books comes the gripping first novel in a new series about a private eye who discovers, to her surprise, that she’s an immortal huntress.

Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can’t die. . . .

Crazy as it sounds, Nikki’s manhunting skills are literally god-given. She’s a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki’s new “friends” include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she’s a spy.

But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal battle of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she’ll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy. . . .


My Review:
I had previously read another series by this author so when I saw she had written an urban fantasy series with mythology, I couldn't wait to read it! I so wanted to love it! But I pretty much hated it.

Let me talk about the good parts. I liked that there was no insta-luv or love triangle crap with the MC. Yea, a nice change! I really liked the concept of the book and the melding of so many mythologies. I liked the idea that the fate of man was in the hands of the children of the Gods. But one of the problems was that there just wasn't enough mythology in the book. We don't get the detail that I was looking for. And there were other issues with the book as well.

Firstly the characters. Our MC was ok and I think she is the kind of character that you would like more and more as the book goes on. She is smart, makes the odd mistake but she isn't dumb. It was our so called group of heroes that I totally despised. These are supposed to be the good guys that we root for and love and I HATED them. They are violent psychopaths who are obnoxious with no redeeming features at all. The way they treat Nikki in the beginning is horrific and they wonder why she doesn't trust that they are on the same side? They beat the crap out of her countless times! She gets hurt LESS by the bad guys! Sorry but I don't root for violent psycho asshats.

The repetition is something that I have an issue with this author about. In the Morgan Kingsley series I loved the story but got tired of the body sharing demon trying to seduce her in her head every time they discussed tactics, Morgan constantly fighting with a character and showing disgust over the gay relationship. After two books of that I got tired of it which was a shame because I liked the story. We have the same issue here of Nikki constantly being accused of being a spy, proving herself in some way and accused again. Yawn! OK we get it, no need to keep repeating it over and over again.

This had the potential to be good but making the same mistakes over again in a new series makes me think that the author is going to use this in all her books so I'm not looking at any more.

star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment