Sunday, 31 August 2014

What's on Chuckle TV #2


Welcome to Chuckle TV! 
Every week I will be talking about what I have been watching in the world of TV, be it sport, documentaries, TV series, films, soaps or interesting news items. I'll be talking about favourites from the past and all the great sounding stuff that I haven't watched yet. Believe me, there are a lot of popular series that I haven't had the chance to see! Let the Count and I be your guide in the world of entertainment! Comments are welcome on what I'm currently watching but no spoilers please or your comments will not be published!

So this week was a VERY busy week for TV and on the whole a pretty good one! I continued on with a series I started last week and tried out something new that didn't quite work so well. Watching these tornado docs can be quite sobering. I love seeing the tornadoes-the beauty, power and danger of them but I hate seeing the death and destruction when they intersect with human life. Living in tornado alley would scare the hell out of me so I'm grateful to live in a less volatile climate in the UK. I find our storms scary enough. I was in Arlington, Texas in May 1996 and one night there was a tornado warning on the news. There was never any danger to our motel as the tornado that touched down was nowhere near us but we did get golf ball sized hail and it was a bit worrying for an hour or two.

I enjoy TV that shows extreme jobs ie gold mining, fishing, storm chasing, logging, stuff like that. I have countless series about coal mining, oil drilling etc still waiting to be watched. Hopefully I'll be sharing that with you on Chuckle TV!

Season three of Storm Chasers introduces a new team led by veteran chaser Tim Samaras (left). As an engineer he has been responsible for inventing probes to measure tornadoes and dedicates himself to getting scientific data to help understand storms and improve warning times. I liked the addition of Tim's team and he really is a gentleman. Sadly Tim, his son Paul and right hand man Carl Young were killed by a tornado in El Reno, Oklahoma in 2013.This article tells the story of the deadly tornado and their deaths including shocking photos of the vehicle when it was found.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335431/Tim-Samaras-dies-Tragic-words-father-son-storm-chasers-killed-tornado-threw-car-somersaulting-half-mile.html

Communication problems and breakdowns threaten Sean's film and Reed is unhappy at being threatened by Josh for putting a radar on his intercept vehicle. Reed throws himself into scientific research and Tim faces tornado activity in his own backyard. This was a good season but I found the attitude of Josh Wurman to be childish and bullying. He makes it clear that Sean is not a part of the team then tries to pull rank on him for doing his own thing and his threats to Reed for daring to put his own radar on his car smacks of a playground bully trying to intimidate the other children and take their lunch money.

Season four follows Sean (right) employing a second IMAX team to film the TIV, Tim developing new scientific instruments and Reed's team take on search and rescue duties after a tornado hits Yazoo City. The Yazoo City footage was horrific and has a profound effect on Reed's team. Josh takes his campaign of bullying and childishness to a whole new level when a bit of reckless driving puts Sean on the internet. His storm ban on Sean is appalling behaviour and it seems clear to me that the good doctor cannot stand the fact that Sean, his former chase buddy and Reed, his former student are doing better than his multi million dollar expedition. Tragedy strikes one team in a shocking turn of events.


Season five has Sean finally free of Josh and ready to do his own thing with a new 3D film but the destruction from tornadoes has him questioning if he wants to continue storm chasing. A deadly tornado outbreak has all three teams helping with rescue efforts and thinking about new ways to help warn of deadly storms. Tim's caution frustrates his team while Reed is pushing his team to the limits. This was a great season where we didn't have to see Josh behaving badly. I can't help wonder if he was responsible for getting the show taken off air after this series...nothing would surprise me.


Ice Road Truckers has been on my VHS tapes for years waiting to get watched and this week I watched season one but I wasn't blown away by it. Drivers are paid to take heavy loads on trucks to mines that are cut off by water most of the year but for a few months, the lakes freeze over and ice roads are made to cross them. Not a job for the faint hearted. I do like the drivers especially Hugh and Alex as they are real characters and the job itself was pretty dangerous but it just lacked something for me. There wasn't the same action you get in Deadliest Catch or Ax Men and a lot of time spent watching trucks getting repaired. Season was was ok but by season two I was losing interest in it and have decided not to continue watching it.


This film has been on TV a few times since the tragic death of Robin Williams and I always enjoy watching it. A young boy sucked into a deadly board game comes out as an adult whe two children start playing it. OK so the special effects are a bit cheap in places but it is a fun family film with action and humour. I love the monkeys watching the Wizard of Oz ! Robin Williams was the perfect choice for this film, showing that manic madcap side that he was so famous for. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113497/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

4 comments:

  1. After my own heart! I love severe weather documentaries too and find tornadoes fascinating especially living in Australia. I haven't seen Storm Chasers as I don't watch a lot of TV actually, but I have caught an episode here and there and have seen Ice Road Truckers which is INSANE what they go through, but completely agree, it's not really riveting.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing Into The Storm when it comes out in cinemas. The only other tornado movie I've ever seen was Twister and can't recall any others that featured tornadoes. It had Lori from The Walking Dead in it. Another brilliant show as well. Thanks for sharing Chuckles, love the feature <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be doing reviews of things like The Walking Dead as well. I'm a bit behind on it-still haven't seen the end of season two! Storm Chasers was great. They did a spin off called Tornado Chasers featuring Reed, but it was only available to buy by episode on a web site and I wasn't going to do that. I keep hoping it will come to dvd. Thanks so much for coming by!

      Delete
  2. Aw, I remember watching Jumanji years ago. So sad about Robin Williams. When I watch TV it's usually just on for background noise and I only watch with half interest. The ones I stay on top of and don't miss each week are Vikings, The Walking Dead, and Bates Motel. Other shows I watch when I feel like it, sometimes years later. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE zombies so The Walking Dead was perfect for me. I just need to catch up with it when I get time. Too many great shows to watch!!! Vikings and Bates Motel are on my wishlist to see...along with about 50 other series!

      Delete