Monday, 24 March 2014

Meet Chucklesthescot! #1




Hi everyone! It has been pointed out to me that I've never really introduced myself to those visiting my blog. So I've decided to put together a nice wee feature with some of the questions I'm asked and a few fun facts about me, for your entertainment.

1) Why are you called chucklesthescot?
I had to make up a username for a book site so I picked Scot because I'm Scottish and chuckles because I'm actually quite a grumpy person. I figured I was being ironic!

2) Why do you have Count Von Count all over your profiles?
I loved the Count from the first time I saw Sesame Street as a kid and I just think he is really cool. Heh Heh!

3) Are you male or female?
Female

4) Why did you start blogging?
I started my first blog a few years ago because I thought it would be fun to chat about stuff I was doing-until I realised my life is pretty dull! Then last July I got interested in reviewing Indie writers on Goodreads and thought I could do a book blog to tell people what I'm reading, promote Indie authors and books, write reviews, and have some book chat.

5) Do you prefer physical books or ereaders?
Nothing beats holding a real book in your hand! The shiny new cover, that new book smell, the swish of the turning pages...love it! If I read an ebook I got free online or from an author to review and I love it, I try to buy a paperback copy for my collection. I get the real book and the author gets a sale!

6) Do you have an ereader?
Yes, I got my first Kobo in August 2013, then a Kindle Paperwhite from Santa for Christmas. I do like ereaders because I can read faster and don't have to take lots of books on holiday now but they have their faults. Every time Kobo desktop issues an update, I have to factory reset the blighter to get it working again! 

7) What genres do you read?
I LOVE gory horror with disturbing scenes and mega violence, action packed urban fantasy with kickass characters and funny sidekicks, dystopian, mountain disaster non fiction, tudor fiction, mythology, dark fantasy and paranormal. I don't read everything in these genres, I go purely on how the story sounds. Love zombies, apocalypses, vampires, shifters, demons etc

8) What books do you not enjoy?
I HATE girlie romance/chicklit, epic fantasy, paranormal romance with all sex no plot and violent bullies for heroes, westerns, science fiction, gothic vampires, crime, historical sagas, erotic, religious works and ordinary YA. 

9) Why would I want to read an Indie book? Aren't they just crap that publishers don't want?
NOOOO! A lot of writers choose to self publish to keep full control over their book ie choosing their own covers, not having their unhappy ending changed by an editor etc. Yes there is some crap out there in the indie world but the same is true of some mainstream stuff I've read. I've also read some pretty amazing self published books as well.

10)Where do I find Indie books?
You can try a lot of Indie books free or cheap online through your Kindle, Nook, Kobo etc. You can also get a lot of good freebies on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/ Check out my blog for lots of Indie book reviews and promotions!

11)Can I send you my book to review?
Due to time constraints I'm not doing a lot of reviews for books sent to me by authors. Deadlines are a bit of an issue at the moment and I'm trying to clear my own book backlog! So I'm mostly doing a few for authors I know where I've read other books in the series. Requests can be sent to me through PM at Goodreads, but no promises.

12)Favourite TV?
Deadliest Catch, The West Wing, The Walking Dead, The Tudors, Alias, Miami Vice, Lost, Nikita, Blake's Seven, Stargate Atlantis, Doctor Who, Supernatural, Grimm, Torchwood, 24, Coronation Street, V(original series), Whitechapel, Stargate SG1, Father Ted, Only Fools and Horses, NCIS, Bottom, Ab Fab, Dallas, House of Cards(UK), Columbo, Prisoner Cell Block H, Buffy, Angel, The Shield, Takeshi's Castle, Gold Rush, Wicked Tuna, Yukon Gold, Bering Sea Gold, Jungle Gold, Ax Men, Big Rig Bounty Hunters, Tenko,...and lots more!

13)Series you want to watch? 
I haven't had time to see any of these yet! Homeland, Arrow, Revolution, The Blacklist, The Following, Teen Wolf, The Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones, Sanctuary, Haven, Continuum, Almost Human, Da Vincis Demons, Penny Dreadful, NCIS LA, Cold Water Cowboys, Pretty Little Liars, Lost Girl, Dollhouse, Flash Forward, Blood Ties, Alphas, Agents of SHIELD, Bitten, Witchblade, Farscape, Warehouse 13, Vikings, Under the Dome, Tomorrow People, Sleeper Cell, Strike Back, Veep, Scandal, The Newsroom, Breaking Bad, House of Cards(US), Hannibal, Dexter, XIII, The Tunnel, The Bridge,

14)Favourite mainstream books and authors?
Erk! Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Jennifer Rardin,  Kelly Meding, Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, Christina Henry, Jeffery Deaver, James Patterson, Patricia Briggs, Jaye Wells, Rob Thurman, Rachel Caine, 

15)Indie Authors to watch out for?  
Kendra C Highley, Ken Mooney, Stephanie Jackson, Judith Post, Claire C Riley, David Estes, Eli Constant, Ivan Amberlake, Ada Adams, Suzy Turner, Melissa Eskue Ousley, Matt Drabble, JG Faherty, Dave Ferraro, Jason Rowe, Brian Palmer, ZA Recht, Nikki Jefford, Johnny B Truant, DelSheree Gladden, AZ Green, Isabella Modra, Amanda Lyons, Amber Michelle Cook, SP van der Lee, Aoife Marie Sheridan, Sharon Sant, James Todd Cochrane (more will be added!)

16)Favourite things?
Reading, music, films, TV, making news scrapbooks, football, darts, cricket, baseball, American football, rain, chocolate, dinosaurs, Yoda, supporting St.Mirren, lounging about in a onesie, Amazon packages.

If you have questions you want to ask for the next round, ask them in the comment box. All comments are moderated so rude crap and ads are deleted. 

*Waves at readers*


FOLLOW ME:

4 comments:

  1. I literally thought you were a guy. I'm sorry for that! I love indie too and try to review them often. I get a lot of requests though so have to be extra picky about what I read in order to keep up with reviews and such, as I also review mainstream books and request books from NetGalley.

    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, you're not the only one who thinks I'm a guy! I'm always getting called 'he' on Twitter but it doesn't really bother me *grins*

      Delete
  2. Hey, great to get to know you a bit more. :) This was a great idea. And I have to agree with you on self published books. There are those that aren't good, but there are so many more that are amazing. It's a shame the word is bad. But, I think it's slowly changing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing our bit though, one book at a time!

      Delete