Thursday, 13 March 2014

Book Review:Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill(Chicagoland Vampires #1)

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude- and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood.


My Review:
Vampires in America live in a House system each with its own history, traditions and expectations for its members. Merit is attacked by a vampire on campus and her fatal wounds lead Ethan, head of Cadogan House, to turn her. Merit is angry and confused at being turned without consent and seems to be breaking every rule for a new recruit, including having desire for Ethan. Girls who look like Merit are being killed, threatening all vampires, and the culprit must be caught.

I loved the cover of this book which indicates kick ass heroine, danger and action. I loved the sound of the blurb. I wanted to love the book but sadly it was not to be.

Lets start with the good things. The actual story was good with a well thought out plot. I liked the vampires being under House control and each member needs to pledge themselves and do their duty. It's always fun when you get a bit of a different twist on just the Dracula or Twilight vampire story. The side characters of Mallory, Catcher, Jeff and Chuck are interesting additions. Mallory is the kind of girl you want as your best friend-loyal, funny and someone who you can talk to about anything. I really liked Catcher who was what I look for in an urban fantasy hero-smart, tough, witty and cool. When the author concentrated on the mystery of who was killing the girls, these parts were quite interesting and well written. It's just a pity that these bits are few and far between. The humour was quite good and I no real complaint about the writing style.

However the down sides outweighed the good for me. I really didn't like Merit as she seemed very whiny, childish and immature for a 27 year old woman, and her rude attitude to Ethan should've meant having her throat ripped out again. Ok so you didn't get a say in being turned but you're alive you ungrateful bitch! The rest you can learn about if you were mature enough to take it seriously and learn. You are supposed to be a student after all. And talking to the master vampire like that really annoyed me-the continuing rudeness and rebellion from Merit got old very fast. I'm surprised they didn't show her the exit door.

I totally hate Ethan and when you don't like the romantic hero of the book, you struggle to engage with the story as much as you normally would. He is an arrogant, smug, cheating, irritating, rude arse and I personally wanted to stake him. I didn't like the way he treated Merit especially around other women and for me there were no redeeming qualities about him other than saving her life. Romantic heroes who treat women like shit are one of my pet hates and it's why I'm very selective about my urban fantasy and paranormal romance now.

The book has a lot of potential but I felt that it didn't deliver where it needed to. The author sets up the House and Vampires side of the plot but the book then drifts into the 'I hate you, you smell' kind of paranormal romance that I really don't enjoy where the main male and female flirt then fight throughout. I really don't enjoy that angst all through a book, just get on with the story! It just seemed to be about Merit's feelings, Ethan's feeling, more angst, more annoying fighting. I much prefer the relationship with Mallory and Catcher as it was real, uncomplicated and had more chemistry.

So I cast my eyes to book two of the series which I bought at the same time with trepidation...  
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, sorry it didn't work for you. I've yet to get this series, but want to give it a try...one day. ;) Hope book 2 is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I really didn't like book 2 and I gave up on the series after that! (the reviews were done a couple of years ago so I'm uploading all these old reviews to the blog!) Still, you can't love everything I guess!

      Delete