Saturday, 22 March 2014

Book Review: The turning of the spit by Leonard Little

Waking up with a hangover, Wade figures his day at the slaughter house can't get any worse. Boy was he ever wrong.

A band of demon possessed pigs armed with AK 47:s and shot guns take over as they gather the workers for slaughter.


My Review:
A hungover slaughterhouse worker heads in expecting to see his colleagues partying behind closed doors, not being held hostage by psycho pigs with automatic weapons. Trying to deal with a headache from hell and pigs on the rampage means that Wade is going to have a very bad day.

It took me a while to decide how to rate this story because I was disappointed that it wasn't a bit longer and more detailed. However the idea for the book was good, I liked the demonic pigs and Wade was a very funny anti-hero with his inappropriate humour. I did snigger a few times at things that were happening like the response from the workers to smelling the roasting meat, Wade's view on the supervisor's figure and his meal at the slaughterhouse. I liked the start and the ending and the fact that I expected it to end that way did not take anything away from the story.

My only niggle was that it was just too short. I'd have liked to have seen Wade stuck in the slaughterhouse, trying vainly to find a way out, maybe meeting up with dying or trapped co-workers. I wanted more opportunities for Wade to make rude comments and be an ass!

A story this short is never going to be a critically acclaimed masterpiece but this is a light fun read. Based on this I would be tempted to look at other work by the author if the stories appeal to me.  

star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png  
This book is FREE on Smashwords! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/418397

3 comments:

  1. I understand about a book being too short. I've not heard of this one before though. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually finding it hard to review these short stories! It's tough to talk about books under 20 pages long without giving everything away!

      Delete
  2. What ... the ... heck .. lol. That cover is ... interesting. The story sounds like it's more dark humor, which I love. Too bad it's so short, though.

    ReplyDelete