Saturday, 8 March 2014

Book Review: The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout

I'm no coward. I want to make that perfectly clear. But after my life turned into a horror movie, I take fear a lot more seriously now. I finally became Dr. Carrie Ames just eight months ago. Then I was attacked in the hospital morgue by a vampire. Just my luck.

So now I'm a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. The tie works like an invisible leash and I'm bound to him no matter what I do. And of course he's one of the most evil vampires on earth. With my sire hell-bent on turning me into a soulless killer and his sworn enemy set to exterminate me, things couldn't get much worse--except I'm attracted to them both.

Drinking blood, living as an immortal demon and being a pawn between two warring vampire factions isn't exactly how I'd imagined my future. But as my father used to say, the only way to conquer fear is to face it. So that's what I'll do. Fangs bared.


My Review:
Carrie is a doctor who is attacked by a vampire in the morgue. When she starts to suspect her condition, her research leads her to an occult book shop run by a vampire called Nathan who offers to be her guide and help her adjust. Carrie however finds herself drawn to her evil sire Cyrus for answers but once they make contact he is not willing to let her go and Nathan must risk his life to save her.

I seem to be in the minority in quite enjoying this book, judging by the reviews on the site when I wrote this. I liked the characters though Carrie could be a bit childish at times when she starts this running away nonsense when Nathan is trying to help her. Yes being vamped is scary but damnit woman you need the information to help you to adapt to the situation. And you wish that she was more willing to ask questions about it. If it was me, I'd want to know everything!

I did like the fact that this was a bit darker than the typical paranormal romances I've read which can often just be a sexfest with no real plot. That isn't my kind of book so I enjoyed seeing a bit more teeth in this genre for a change. The story flows well enough and is a quick read because there is no complex storytelling and that suits me fine. The will-they-won't-they dynamic did get a bit wearing as you knew they were going to get together so you just wanted it to happen already and move on. However it wasn't just a straight romance with monsters in it which meant I did get more into this than other books in the genre.

I wasn't too keen on those in The Movement and my attention would drift a bit when they got involved. They felt a bit bland and annoying. I did like the plot for the most part and the book kept me interested to the end which is always a bonus. Cyrus was an interesting character though you wanted to slap Carrie for wanting to ask him for answers instead of Nathan, plus she does the stupid ass putting herself into danger which annoys me with females in this genre, meaning rescue has to be made. No point whining about being trapped when you choose to go there, bimbo features!!! It did make for an exciting end to the book though so I can't complain too much.

It is not a fantastic read but there is enough there to enjoy. I'm not going to continue with the series though as I still prefer the darker urban fantasy and there is so much of that out there still to read.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment